How to date as an almost 40 expat?

82 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mtbiking said:

I agree that drinking beer in front of Edeka is very lame.

Could be worse - drinking beer in front of Penny...

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Does it actually count as a date 👻?

Shouldn't a first date be " going Dutch?"😀

28 minutes ago, HEM said:

Could be worse - drinking beer in front of Penny...

If you look like Brad Pitt it still counts as a date.

13 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Wait, I was under the impression that Tinder IS for flings. Isn't it?

Back in 2017 every second profile was marked as "keine ONS", so I assume German women look for something more serious there.

13 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Example- talking about Oktoberfest and how we had missed it and the best suggestion is drinking beer in front of Edeka and going back to his place.

Sounds like 22 y.o. If I am right, this can be fixed by raising your age limit to 35 at least. Everyone below 30 is not a man yet, it's a boy.

I am no ageist, but there is a reason why it is better for people to meet someone of their age (+- 5 years).

If over 30 behaves like that, well, some people never grow up.

48 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Back in 2017 every second profile was marked as "keine ONS", so I assume German women look for something more serious there.

Sounds like 22 y.o. If I am right, this can be fixed by raising your age limit to 35 at least. Everyone below 30 is not a man yet, it's a boy.

I am no ageist, but there is a reason why it is better for people to meet someone of their age (+- 5 years).

I cant agree more. If I was given a chance to go back 10 years, i will refuse for that only reason. That was too much stupidity .

Sorry for derailing OP s topic. I can't give any advice man. So I keep my fresse gehalten.

4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I had it set to 40+. 

On 30.11.2021, 01:51:10, sanim said:

Yes, I've heard about dating apps and websites. But, I'm not a guy with shiny photos, or at least wherever I went I always tried to enjoy the moment instead of taking great selfies from myself. So, I'm not sure how my chances are if I try it the Tinder way! 

I went on finya and lovoo, but you can also just post a lonely hearts ad, the old-fashioned way.

Met my current squeeze on finya - he had one photo on there, it was a scanned passport photo :D but he's charming enough to pull it off. I'd recommend using a photo where you're smiling - ideally not a selfie. Don't spend too much time chatting before you meet and remember that the first "date" is just to see if either of you is interested in dating at all, and people often meet several people in the same week, so don't get too invested.

One of the other guys I met up with at the time was from Italy, and I saw a few other expats hanging around. These were all men in their 40s.

If you're in a well-populated area like NRW then it's a pretty good option alongside the other methods of meeting people.

On 12/1/2021, 11:41:12, klingklang77 said:

I had it set to 40+. 

Wow. Keep trying, normal men do exist.

Wow, poor bloke getting dating advice from the Toytown over 50s Brigade! He said he was nearly 40, so actually still in his 30s, the prime off his life!

Mate, just go out and meet people! If you have friends go out in a group and there is always another table close by if you choose the right place of the opposite sex. Few drinks and then there will always be inter table chat.

I arrived in Munich as a 36 year old and my first night out was at the Max Emanuel and got talking to a German girl. A few bars in Schellingstraße later the same evening, i could of made other contacts very easily but 9 years later I am married with two kids to the same girl. 

My point? Go out!

31 minutes ago, paulyg said:

Wow, poor bloke getting dating advice from the Toytown over 50s Brigade!

Thanks for assuming I am that close to retirement, but no, your age assumption is as accurate as Mark Zuckerberg's.

Bars suck, too.

11 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Thanks for assuming I am that close to retirement, but no, your age assumption is as accurate as Mark Zuckerberg's.

Bars suck, too.

I wouldn’t listen to him. It seems he hasn’t dated in 10 years. It’s completely different out there from 10 years ago. Dating apps ruined a lot of things. 

45 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

I wouldn’t listen to him. It seems he hasn’t dated in 10 years. It’s completely different out there from 10 years ago. Dating apps ruined a lot of things. 

Aren’t there after work parties anymore (Corona notwithstanding)? I still find them advertised. I used to love them 10 years ago, as meeting women there was a sure thing. Single and not really single but willing, younger and older. Good times. 

2 hours ago, mtbiking said:

Aren’t there after work parties anymore (Corona notwithstanding)? I still find them advertised. I used to love them 10 years ago, as meeting women there was a sure thing. Single and not really single but willing, younger and older. Good times. 

Yeah, I don’t know. I haven’t really been experienced to them as I was married and then in a long relationship after that. At this point, I just don’t care and I am perfectly happy being out of a relationship and having a nice group of friends. 

21 hours ago, paulyg said:

Wow, poor bloke getting dating advice from the Toytown over 50s Brigade! He said he was nearly 40, so actually still in his 30s, the prime off his life!

Mate, just go out and meet people! If you have friends go out in a group and there is always another table close by if you choose the right place of the opposite sex. Few drinks and then there will always be inter table chat.

I arrived in Munich as a 36 year old and my first night out was at the Max Emanuel and got talking to a German girl. A few bars in Schellingstraße later the same evening, i could of made other contacts very easily but 9 years later I am married with two kids to the same girl. 

My point? Go out!

On 30.11.2021, 01:51:10, sanim said:

Yes, imagine listening to advice from someone over 50, six years older than you and thus almost on their deathbed.

NRW is admittedly not having the same issues as we are in Saxony right now, but even there, the pandemic means that there's a good bit less chatting to strangers. I speak as someone who is over 50 and thus out there actually trying out the nightlife, free of children :)

4 hours ago, anne k said:

NRW is admittedly not having the same issues as we are in Saxony right now

What is specific about NRW when it comes to dating and meeting others and socializing? I mean in comparison to other places in Germany.