tenant huge gas bill

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

turns out a tenant of mine has a huge debt with the gas company for gas consumption in my flat (they didn't realize for ages) and he kept not paying. The bills are in his name but could the Gas company eventually come after me for the money if he refuses to pay?

Thanks

I don't see how they could if you are renting to them with a proper rental contract stating that they are liable for the gas bill.

Do they pay their rent on time and in full?

8 minutes ago, markfusara said:

Hi,

turns out a tenant of mine has a huge debt with the gas company for gas consumption in my flat (they didn't realize for ages) and he kept not paying. The bills are in his name but could the Gas company eventually come after me for the money if he refuses to pay?

No, don't worry, the person who used the gas has to pay, see this court ruling: https://www.saarbruecker-zeitung.de/sz-spezial/recht/wohnen-haus-garten/untermieter-zahlt-gasrechnung-nicht-wann-muessen-vermieter-und-hauptmieter-zahlen_aid-844365

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't see how they could if you are renting to them with a proper rental contract stating that they are liable for the gas bill.

Do they pay their rent on time and in full?

Yeah. I just wanted to double check for as absurd as it would have been, you never know.