Fraud in private used car deal

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Recently I bought a used car from a local family in a small city. After that, I found there's a crack in the plastic part of the front bumper. Then my landlord's nephew helped me to check the car again. He said the license plate frame was moved up by someone on purpose to hide the crack. He also checked the registration paper and surprisingly found the seller cheats me on the number of pre-owners. She always claimed 2 (including the seller herself) and wrote down 2 on our contract, while there are 4 actually. I contacted the family, the seller's mother said she never had an accident and know nothing about the number of pre-owners. When I was still discussing this thing with them, they were yelling and hung up the phone rudely. I've never ever dealt with such kinds of people in my life, like a bunch of savages. Because they still owed me the winter tires, so I messaged them again. They didn't reply at the very beginning. Then I asked again about when, they said a date. While nobody appears at all. I listened to someone's advice to write a formal letter to ask for a deadline. Finally, I got a message the winter tires are in front of the garage. I looked outside right away, nobody was there. They had escaped. Their behaviour shocked me and I start to be suspicious of the locals.

I went to a lawyer, he said I have to prove they know the crack and the number of pre-owners. Otherwise, he sees a very high risk. I called the dealer where the family bought the car, because he is a crucial witness. But when he realized I'm not going to buy a car, just want to ask questions, he changed his altitude immediately and said he knew nothing, but the car he sold never had a problem.

I'm so speechless to these people. Now I'm not expecting to ask for my money back. But I don't wanna let it go without doing anything. It seems those people know the loophole of the law. Each of them claims knowing nothing, as long as there's no direct evidence, they are always on the safe side to cheat people without paying a price. They get money by fraud but pretend to be innocent people. It's ridiculous. They should get punished. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thank you. I wish these bad things will never ever happen to you.

How much did you pay?

If the only problem is a crack in the bumper and you bought it as seen then you should have looked closer or got an ADAC inspection done.

well - is there a real problem with the car? 

Cracked plastic, or 4 previous owners (at least one of those being a car dealer), or late delivery of winter tires, doesn't sound like much of an issue to me. 

If there really isn't any potentially life-threatening safety issue, I'd just chalk this up to "lessons learned" and move on.

53 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

How much did you pay?

If the only problem is a crack in the bumper and you bought it as seen then you should have looked closer or got an ADAC inspection done.

52 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

How much did you pay?

Hi Keith2011,

I paid €7000. It's a small Opel car.

It's my mistake that didn't go to do an inspection at ADAC or Dekra. While it's a another story. My landlord told me her nephew who has a repairing garage can help to do the inspection. I thought he's trustworthy and I don't have to worry about the language. I paid him to do it. On that day, he checked the bottom and the engine. The father in law of the seller kept saying the car is a good one. Then my landlord's nephew told me all is good. I asked him to check the paint. He said since the seller said no accident, no scratches. It's not necessary. German won't cheat. If they lie to you, you can go to court and ask to reverse the contract. I did look around, but the licence frame was moved up on purpose, and I'm not professional so I found nothing.

And my landlord told me they know the family from another person, so I don't have to worry about it. But finally when I went to register the car I found the hidden crack.

Well, maybe it is a good car apart from the crack. Your problem is that you can't prove that it was the seller who moved the frame for the license plate. It might have been the dealer who sold it to them. As for two vs. four prior owners, the seller may have been told there was only one prior owner and believed it.

There are only starting points I can see: 1. Assuming that the contract stipulates that you are owed winter tyres they still owe you those. An sms from them claiming they were delivered isn´t the same as a recipt from you, after all. 2. How can they claim not to have known the number of previous owners when it´s in the documents? But what damage is done by that? Is this worth any legal costs?

On 19/11/2021, 14:53:49, HRMAtlantic said:

I looked outside right away, nobody was there. They had escaped. 

Did they leave the winter tyres, though?

If so, the problems are 4 previous owners, not 2, and a cracked plastic bumper. These are not happy things, but neither are they disastrous.

Buying a second hand car is always somewhat of a minefield, we have bought rubbish ourselves in the past. Yours is not a disaster, merely disappointing.

Cracked bumper on used vehicle? Are you kidding me? You can probably get a replacement one for 50 Euro on Ebay and do it yourself in an hour on a driveway. Is it worth all this stress and time wasted for lawyers and filling complains for 50 Euro? I don't think so. I myself previously had many unfortunate buys such as vehicle with bottom end failure or vehicle which was previously flooded or vehicle which was previously owned by chimney sweeper. Never ever complained about them, because it was my fault that I haven't paid enough attention to something that was so obvious. Visual inspection is one of the easiest things you can do when buying a vehicle. If you missed that crack while inspecting it, most likely no one ever will notice such crack anyway, so why even bother about it??? My guess you have to much free time... ;)

Check the mileage. This is the most common fraud in Germany (despite criminal liability). 

"Have it replaced" = €2K. Buy one and do it yourself = €50. Maybe. 

Selling a car is also a nightmare and the last thing you want is someone who thinks that after the deal is done, the money has been exchanged and the car's been picked up that he has the right to change his mind. 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Replacement bumper for € 50?

We had to have one replaced  and it was over € 2k.

Check my comment again. I said you can get it on ebay, probably for 50 Euro and do it yourself. I actually just helped my neighbor to source and get it replaced for his car. 2k in garage for replacing old bumper? You must be living in very south of Bavaria or main city. I never seen or heard of such prices in Hessen. Unless you talking about garages charging insurance companies for their work. That's totally different thing. Here we talk about used Opel and someone worrying about crack which most likely is not even visible.