Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Munich Christmas Market Cancelled

29 posts in this topic

It's been announced that Munich Christmas Market has been cancelled

This is as a result of the huge rise in daily new infections in the 4th wave...

The market on Marienplatz, which was due to open on November 22, typically draws around three million visitors each year - a crowd that seems untenable given the infection situation in Bavaria, where the seven day incidence rate rose to 554,2 new infections per 100.000 people on Tuesday. That’s well above the national average of 312,4, and the highest level ever recorded in the southern federal state.

That’s a real pity, especially for the stand-keepers. Fortunately, not all X-Mas markets are being cancelled. 

20 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Fortunately, not all X-Mas markets are being cancelled. 

I expect that will change over the next few days.

Well, the one at Residenz or Wittelsbacherplatz have one entrance only, so it’s easy to maintain the 2G- approach and you can control the number of people as well. Let’s wait and see. Tonight, I go to the one at Werksviertel. First Glühwein of the season.

On 17/11/2021, 13:30:14, Tap said:

I expect that will change over the next few days.

Looks like all of Bavaria has no Xmas markets.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-in-germany-bavaria-cancels-christmas-markets/a-59857041

The state government has also imposed a lockdown on all districts that have a seven-day COVID incidence rate of over 1,000 per 100,000 people.

Söder also called for mandatory COVID vaccination starting from next year, arguing that it will become an "endless cycle" otherwise.

It's just impossible to socially distance at Xmas markets. There are only small stand up tables to drink your Glühwein and space is limited. 

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

It's just impossible to socially distance at Xmas markets. There are only small stand up tables to drink your Glühwein and space is limited. 

I agree. As far as I know our one here in Konstanz is still happening, with 2G. I refuse to go. I think it sends a very mixed message to people about what is/isn't safe.  Sure being outside is better than inside, but not in crowds in close quarters IMO.  And drinking and disease spreading are first cousins. 

11 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I agree. As far as I know our one here in Konstanz is still happening, with 2G. I refuse to go. I think it sends a very mixed message to people about what is/isn't safe.  Sure being outside is better than inside, but not in crowds in close quarters IMO.  And drinking and disease spreading are first cousins. 

Yes, exactly. I almost always got sick after Oktoberfest was finished. The Oktoberfest Grippe they call it, I think. 

I’ve never gotten drunk off Glühwein. I don’t really even like it. I always look for the hot apple drinks and get a shot of calvados in it. But that adds up $$$, so one or two is enough for me. 

18 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

And drinking and disease spreading are first cousins. 

Yes. That's why they are closing the pubs in Ireland at .... midnight. I saw the PM do an interview the other day. Even more off topic, 95% are vaccinated there and they are having a big rise in Covid cases. Go figure.

Why do they think people can't catch Covid before midnight?

All looks as thou we are going to have to go into lock down again,, maybe before Christmas, and the politicians thought is was basically all over.

With this level of infections, the next 2 weeks, we are probably going to see the number of deaths per day at over 500, all looks very grim.

Will be interesting to see. Making sense of this is not straightforward. In the UK, incident rate has been about the same as the current German rate for about 3 months - the death rate didn't take off though - it's still there and it is 200+ per day, but it isn't the 1000+ it was a year earlier. 

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2021-06-08..latest&uniformYAxis=0&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=Cases+and+deaths&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=GBR~DEU~ESP~PRT~AUT~IRL

38 minutes ago, yesterday said:

All looks as thou we are going to have to go into lock down again,, maybe before Christmas, and the politicians thought is was basically all over.

With this level of infections, the next 2 weeks, we are probably going to see the number of deaths per day at over 500, all looks very grim.

Yeah, It doesn’t look good at all. 

Further regulations starting the 24th:

https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/diese-corona-regeln-gelten-ab-mittwoch-in-bayern,SpDIVyv

I really hope the incidence rate in Munich doesn’t go above 1000. This sounds so stupid and selfish, but I have a haircut appointment next week and I haven’t had my haircut by a professional since January 2020. 

19 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I really hope the incidence rate in Munich doesn’t go above 1000. This sounds so stupid and selfish, but I have a haircut appointment next week

ditto

21 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I really hope the incidence rate in Munich doesn’t go above 1000. This sounds so stupid and selfish, but I have a haircut appointment next week and I haven’t had my haircut by a professional since January 2020. 

It's reached 864,7 today

16 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

It's reached 864,7 today

I think it won't get much higher in the next 4-5 days. As authorities explained, the sudden increase was partially due to backlog in processing.

But, by end of week we could definitely be over 1000, but situation R seems to be going down, so we might avert 1000, at least for the moment.

49 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

It's reached 864,7 today

So if it reaches 1000, does it automatically shut down that day or is it something like a starting on Monday type of deal? 

The RKI map for me says 754. 

27 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I think it won't get much higher in the next 4-5 days.

Unless people are going out for their last hurrah before lockdown.

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Unless people are going out for their last hurrah before lockdown.

I was in town today, and exactly that was happening.

Dropped to 727 in Munich today, Seems the reporting backlog delay effect is fading out, so perhaps it does not reach 1000 so fast, if at all.

Of course hard partying can change it.

It's unbelievable that discos and bars were allowed open for so long. That's a no brainer, followed by gyms. Or at least gym showers.