Freelancing while employed - Limit on working time and income?

5 posts in this topic

Hello ToyTownGermany!

I have been reading the posts but couldn´t find what I am looking for.

I have a Permananent employment (40h/week).

I have now the possibility to work a few hours a week as freelancer (which I never did before).

I have a few questions:

1. Is there any Limit of hours that I can work as freelancer having permanent employment? I read contradictory posts that working law is 10h a day limit, and others that for freelancers does not apply, so I am not clear on that.
    1. Having the permanent job of 40h/week can I work freelancing 2 days a week? can I work on the weekend or at night or are there any restrictions on the possible hours as "2nd job" as freelancer?
  2. Is there any limit of income as freelancer having a permanent employment? Can it be higher as the permanent employment?
    1. As example:
      1. permanent employement (40h/week) = 6.000€ brutto
      2. freelancing 150€/h x 16h week (64h/month) = 9600€ brutto.

Many thanks,

Best Regards,

Pedromisil

Hi, quite interested on this topic myself.

What I've heard in the past, but as you say info is sometimes contradictory, is that there are not limits on time as soon as your employer is ok. Usually standard job contracts state you can't work on the side. Take a look at yours.

Soon or later you will need an accountant to help you with this, so you can start now checking with one.

Good luck!

I think you have to get approval from your 40 hour a week job. 

Also you will need to check with your health insurance. With the amounts shown I think you may be on the hook for paying your own health insurance and Rentenversicherung. I would also set aside money for tax and an accountant. You are looking at probably losing half your income from freelancing from all the costs associated with it. 

I work part freelance and part regular contract. I wish I could give up the freelance totally. The hassle is not worth it.  

while it may be tempting from the financial point of view, it can be quite challenging on the logistics level.

Several things to carefully consider:

1, you need approval from your 40-hour employer. They will wonder, how can you be fully concentrating on your job, while moonshining another 16 hours on your own. Are you directly competing, or working in the exact same field, with your employer? Example: you work for a cleaning company, and now open up your own Hausmeisterservice on the side. The employer might not like that either.

2, Beware of "Scheinselbständigkeit". Are you freelancing for just one customer and have no plans (or demonstrated activities) to acquire more customers? Does that one customer dictate your work hours, or the hourly rate for your projects? Are you under any obligations as to the location where you have your office, or where you work? If you are deamed "scheinselbständig", your "customer" will become an employer and have to pay for your KV/RV/AV plus a penalty.

3, income tax will eat you alive - especially in Germany - if you make "a lot" of money. You need a smart professional to help you with that. 

4, If your freelance gig becomes the main source of income, health insurance decisions need to be made. You may opt out of gesetzliche Krankenversicherung (pick a private health insurance), or become a freiwilliges Mitglied (stay in the public system). Both choices are potentially permanent (depending on your age), and will have financial consequences. Very careful deliberation is needed, and an independent consultant would be advized.

Of course what you describe can be done, it may even be a good idea - depending on what your plans for the future are. I personally would suggest, though, to have a long-term plan for either being "an employee", or being "self-employed/freelancer". Doing both at the same time will be stressful, and potentially harmful to your physical, mental, and financial health. 

22 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

Of course what you describe can be done, it may even be a good idea - depending on what your plans for the future are. I personally would suggest, though, to have a long-term plan for either being "an employee", or being "self-employed/freelancer". Doing both at the same time will be stressful, and potentially harmful to your physical, mental, and financial health. 

So much this. It’s a fucking nightmare. I’m actually going broke from working, but it’s getting better now (I was completely freelance before my part-time (but actually less than part-time) contract which started in September). I cannot take on anymore freelance now because I need the part time to pay my health insurance. 

But my situation is different as your numbers look pretty high. However, I would suggest keeping your freelance work $$$ below your contract work. Highly suggest this. 

Oh, and put aside time for your paperwork. There will be a lot of it.