UK Post "Post Brexit"

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know if it is still possible to send books and other printer matter by regular letter post from Germany to the UK without needing to fill out a customs declaration form? My local post office was no help and Google just brings up Amazon or couriers.

Letters („Briefpost“) to destinations outside of Germany can only contain documents (since a few years now, possibly January 2019)

edit to add:

>>Ab dem 1.1.2019 können nur Dokumente in Briefen ins Ausland versandt werden.

source:

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/b/briefe-ins-ausland.html

So books need to be sent as Päckchen/Paket, and as the UK is no longer in the EU you need to fill out a customs form.

I recently applied for passports for my children and as part of the application, I had to send their passports back to the UK.  They needed to be sent separately as the tracking number is part of the address, so I went to the post office and asked for envelopes in which I could send them.  The lady sold me small rigid envelopes but then told me that I wasn't allowed to send them to the UK like that because of the new document rules (as mentioned above). So she then sold me boxes to send them in, which were far too big, and I also had to fill out the customs form.  I wrote that they were expired passports with 0 value.  She didn't like that I didn't put a value, but I didn't see what else I could do.

When I received them back from the UK, they were in large sturdy envelopes marked as 'Documents'.  I was a bit confused, so rang Deutsche Post and they said 'yes, they're documents but they have to be sent as 'Päckchen' and transferred me to a colleague who deals with parcels.  

When I told him I was confused by the previous answer he hung up on me.  Can someone clarify?  The Deutsche Post website doesn't mention whether passports qualify as documents, but it does say that CDs can be documents.  

https://shop.deutschepost.de/packset-groesse-xs-2020

Well the above (see link) is what she sold me but the box was reasonably cheap and the dimensions didn't affect the (parcel) postage price.  As it was a Päckchen this box cost me approx 9 Euro to post (each), and would have been approx 17 Euro (34 for the two) for registered post.  As letters, it would have been a lot cheaper.  So I still don't understand why I couldn't have sent them with Briefpost.  

A passport is a document, so it could be sent by (registered) letter - which is what the UK did.

I'm afraid the people at your post office didn't know what they were talking about.

On 15/11/2021, 17:07:32, El Jeffo said:

A passport is a document, so it could be sent by (registered) letter - which is what the UK did.

I'm afraid the people at your post office didn't know what they were talking about.

Well that's what I thought but when I phoned up the service helpline, I was still told it had to be sent as a parcel. I guess next time I will try a different post office and see if I get a different answer.  It's a shame as our post office is really handy, but the woman there is not very friendly and I just don't trust her to know her stuff.  The previous lady was lovely and seemed very competent.