Strong oil smell from oil heating room when first turned on after summer

6 posts in this topic

Hello All, 

We're considering buying a house, but the heating/oil-tank room has a devastating oil smell that fills the entire downstairs. 

I have seen the following thread here, and understand that normally oil tanks should not smell...
https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/142626-are-strong-odors-from-oil-heating-normal/

However, I wonder if this is a temporary situation from the oil being turned on after a summer off. Is it common/possible that this is just because the heating has been idle for months? Or is there an issue with the system that needs ot be resolved. 

Thanks!

Our house has oil heating. When we bought it, the smell of that was noticeable throughout the basement. We want to be able to fully use our basement - storage, pantry, workbench, sauna, game-room... so we solved the problem with a new (high end, double-walled, with vacuum leak-detection system) oil tank that is (of course) properly vented and perfectly sealed.

A modern oil-heating system does not produce smells inside your house while running, or while not running, or after switching it on or off in between.

Now the only times I notice minimal smell briefly is when we order new oil, once a year. When the hose is disconnected after filling the tank I can get a whiff if I'm standing right inside our tank room.

1 hour ago, burningkrome said:

However, I wonder if this is a temporary situation from the oil being turned on after a summer off. Is it common/possible that this is just because the heating has been idle for months? Or is there an issue with the system that needs ot be resolved. 

In our case the heating is never switched off, during summer we still need it for hot water.

We never had smell problems, so I am not sure if something is wrong with the one you saw.   Maybe there is a problem with the venting system, the fumes produced by the oil should be vented out of the house.

On 15/11/2021, 11:31:16, karin_brenig said:

Our house has oil heating. When we bought it, the smell of that was noticeable throughout the basement. We want to be able to fully use our basement - storage, pantry, workbench, sauna, game-room... so we solved the problem with a new (high end, double-walled, with vacuum leak-detection system) oil tank that is (of course) properly vented and perfectly sealed.

A modern oil-heating system does not produce smells inside your house while running, or while not running, or after switching it on or off in between.

Now the only times I notice minimal smell briefly is when we order new oil, once a year. When the hose is disconnected after filling the tank I can get a whiff if I'm standing right inside our tank room.

Considering new oil burning systems will be forbidden after 2025, I would have thought you'd  have gone with something more eco-freindly.

8 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Considering new oil burning systems will be forbidden after 2025, I would have thought you'd  have gone with something more eco-freindly.

Definitely a significant consideration when thinking of buying a property these days. Seemingly affordable properties for sale near us are few and far between.  Most are pre 1970’s with either aged oil or gas systems. 

18 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

we thought about what real "eco-friendly" means, talked to professionals in the field, read articles, and also considered our personal financial plans for the future. 

After careful consideration we decided to get the latest state-of-the-art oil furnace for heating and warm water, while that is permitted. Believe it or not, that currently is still the "cleanest" option for an existing house with oil furnace, if you look at the carbon footprint of the entire project (not isolating calculations to just your personal fuel consumption). 

Our plans for renewable energy hinge on solar power - we have the perfect roof for that, and we will add a solar patio/sun room.