Early medical treatment when Covid-19 is diagnosed

156 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

No, as @Janx Spirit mentioned, this is one of many borderline-legal cases where the patent on the original drug/active ingredient has expired, so they tweak the formulation to extend patent protection. This requires minimal additional testing and enables them to reap another windfall based on research whose costs were funded and written off decades ago.

It has nothing to do with supply and demand (which is the main thing Econ 101 teaches you) and everything to do with how parts of our system for handling intellectual property are broken and increasingly being manipulated and exploited by unscrupulous market players, at the expense of society as a whole

This I agree is a problem. 

But as we should not divert the topic much, US has waived patents for COVID-19 vaccines due to an emergency, while the EU refuses to do so. The current administration can be trusted to waive the patent for COVID-19 medicines, too. Pfizer understands this, this is why it decided to go forward with announcing cheap supply to developing nations. 

43 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

They did have to tweak it though:

"Lenalidomide, sold under the trade name Revlimid"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenalidomide

Edit:

A bit about the economics Lenalidomide costs US$163,381 per year for the average person in the United States as of 2012.[25] Lenalidomide made almost $9.7bn for Celgene in 2018.[30]

$9.7bn!!!!!! They now people will pay it because the option is death. If you take into account the very limited type of cancers this drug treats there aren't that many people in the world who require that particular drug so the profit per pack is staggering . Now if you think it's been tweaked again and has the name Pomalidimide that costs even more someone is making a killing out of other people's misery.

24 minutes ago, French bean said:

$9.7bn!!!!!! They now people will pay it because the option is death. If you take into account the very limited type of cancers this drug treats there aren't that many people in the world who require that particular drug so the profit per pack is staggering . Now if you think it's been tweaked again and has the name Pomalidimide that costs even more someone is making a killing out of other people's misery.

Not really as the cost of production, storage, logistics, regulatory processes etc are very very high when producing small amounts

Still a fucking rip off though and are getting away with it as there is no money in it for other companies to develop a rival drug.

Spend a billion - make 10 billion. Makes sense to me.

The R & D expense is normal operating cost. Every company has operating cost.

Let me remind that the core developer of mRNA vaccine was denied funding for this research multiple times, and then was fired from her permanent position in Penn University. This, not the desire to earn a lot of money, was the result why she started working at BioNTech. 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/the-story-of-mrna-how-a-once-dismissed-idea-became-a-leading-technology-in-the-covid-vaccine-race/

And don't get me started that to get a permanent position in academia is a pain in the arse in itself. So, she had a choice: getting a decent salary, living a decent life in an American suburban house, or doing science and saving the world from the worst pandemic. She made a choice. 

Now pay the company which hired her, this is your fault that she could not do it outside of the pharma industry. 

51 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Let me remind that the core developer of mRNA vaccine was denied funding for this research multiple times, and then was fired from her permanent position in Penn University.

Penn didn’t fire her (the university in Hungary did, which is why she moved to the US).  She was demoted while at Penn, which is typical when one can’t fund a lab.  She held on and then hooked up with Drew Weissman, and the rest is history.

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20201218-katalin-kariko-the-scientist-behind-the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine

https://biontech.de/sites/default/files/2019-08/20140202_BioNTech_Katalin%20Kariko_ENG_final.pdf

https://billypenn.com/2020/12/29/university-pennsylvania-covid-vaccine-mrna-kariko-demoted-biontech-pfizer/

And don't get me started that to get a permanent position in academia is a pain in the arse in itself. So, she had a choice: getting a decent salary, living a decent life in an American suburban house,

She got that all that by being an academic, a very secure and coveted job in the US, especially at an Ivy League institution. That also enabled her daughter to attend an elite university very cheaply, a huge perk.

or doing science and saving the world from the worst pandemic. She made a choice. 

She left academia for industry in 2013 because she could survive on her own.  Penn owns her research while there.

Win-Win.  (BTW she’s an adjunct professor at Penn)

Now pay the company which hired her, this is your fault that she could not do it outside of the pharma industry. 

What exactly is your point?  Since when is BioNtech not getting paid?

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

What exactly is your point?  Since when is BioNtech not getting paid?

My point is: stop complaining about high drug prices. We have (semi)public insurance, the companies do price negotiations for us. For vaccines, the governments do negotiations. What happens in the US is irrelevant for Europe and Middle East. You pay 10 euro for drugs in Germany.

BTW:

Pfizer strikes global licensing deal for antiviral COVID pill

This Pfizer drug can be produced by anyone. I wonder how the horse shit conspirators will modify their theories.

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Is this Pfizermectin that you're talking about ? :wacko:

Please go ahead what is the antivax position on this not yet approved drug: yes or no?

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

why are journalists going to be refused entry to hospitals?

Why would journalists be allowed in when close family members aren't? Who/what do they want to film, photo or talk to?

I guess they can stand outside and talk to people coming and going but I'm not sure.

Because fraufruit is an intelligent person and knows I'm not a troll!😂

I feel perfectly entitled to ask a question. It's in my genes!👍

Maybe there are things to hide from probing voices? 

Always stay awake! Yeah!

Watergate anyone? 

I am suspicious of anyone who has the power to corrupt the truth. That goes for all Governments and businesses and any other interested parties. 

Why do authoritarian people clamp down on those who may disclose unpleasant facts? 

They all do - whether Left or Right or the bits in the middle.

Are you so inclined, Alex?

Or only interested in banal insults?

59 minutes ago, john g. said:

Why do authoritarian people clamp down on those who may disclose unpleasant facts? 

Erm...that is not what's happening when journalists aren't allowed in hospitals in Germany.

Imagine not being able to visit your loved one and journalists are trampling in and out. 

Do you understand now?

We are not in Russia.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

What are those facts?

That Scheißantivaxxer have occupied most ICUs for 2 weeks, so that normal people die as a result?!

This are very unpleasant facts, if they are fully disclosed I don't think any antivaxxer will be able to walk even 100 meters safely.

15 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Pfizer strikes global licensing deal for antiviral COVID pill

This Pfizer drug can be produced by anyone. I wonder how the horse shit conspirators will modify their theories.

Their position is that Paxlovid (The new antiviral from Pfizer against Covid) is the same as Ivermectin with a higher price tag.

As long as they take it who cares.  But I guess they won't take it.

"Pfizer’s new pill to prevent COVID-19 is not the same as ivermectin"

CLAIM: Pfizer’s new pill to treat COVID-19 is just ivermectin repackaged. 

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. Ivermectin and the drug being tested to treat COVID-19 are structurally different. As one infectious disease expert said, “The only way they are alike is that they are both pills.”

THE FACTS: After news broke that Pfizer had reached a new phase of testing on its antiviral drug to prevent COVID-19, social media posts began circulating suggesting that it was nothing more than ivermectin repackaged.

Ivermectin, an inexpensive drug used to kill parasites, has been falsely touted as a treatment for COVID-19. The FDA and medical experts warn against the use of ivermectin to treat the disease. Large studies testing the drug against COVID-19 are ongoing. 

Social media users have coined the term “Pfizermectin” in their posts claiming that ivermectin and Pfizer’s new oral antiviral, PF-07321332, are the same drug. According to Pfizer, the drug is being tested in combination with the HIV drug ritonavir in a study on 2,660 people. 

There is no relationship at all between the two drugs, said Dr. William A Petri, professor of infectious diseases at the University of Virginia. 

“The only way they are alike is that they are both pills,” Petri said.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-067310377629

45 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

There is no relationship at all between the two drugs,

said Dr. William A Petri, professor of infectious diseases at the University of Virginia. 

1) here on TT we are at least noticing the difference between a preventative medication (vaccine) and a treatment for te disease

2)  Dr. William A Petri -- what a dish !!  :P

3 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

1) here on TT we are at least noticing the difference between a preventative medication (vaccine) and a treatment for te disease

Sorry?  We are talking about the new Pfizer TREATMENT medicine (Paxlovid).   Which to be honest, has some similarities to Ivermectin in how it works as an antiviral.  Still very different though, but the antivaxxers will milk that similarity of course.

PS. The similarities is they both do something somewhere against someone.  I think the someone (3CL Protease) is the similarity.