Only in America

394 posts in this topic

I am not an American.

I am not a historian.

So my surprise was large when I read this Guardian article (and forthcoming book) :

Why is so little known about the 1930s coup attempt against FDR?

Business leaders like JP Morgan and Irénée du Pont were accused by a retired major general of plotting to install a fascist dictator

Donald Trump’s elaborate plot to overthrow the democratically elected president was neither impulsive nor

uncoordinated, but straight out of the playbook of another American coup attempt – the 1933 “Wall Street putsch” against newly elected Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Full story

Just another piece of history that even we Americans weren't taught in school.

I did know about FDR's affair in my hometown. Local gossip and history.

Long before he became president in 1932, Franklin D. Roosevelt had a relationship with a young woman named Lucy Mercer that was kept secret at the time. At an Aiken Kiwanis Club meeting Thursday, USC Aiken history professor emeritus Dr. Jim Farmer described that relationship “as a little bit of Aiken history.”

Her house was close to where my parents lived. She installed an elevator when he had to use a wheelchair. Unheard of back then.

Really you could just post this video on here as the first post and close this thread.

I think it´s been posted on here a few times but all things considered, it´s worth posting again because it´s a perfect example of the US.

I´m not sure how accurate the figures on there are nowadays but after 4 years of Trump and 2 of Biden, oh and the 8 years of Obama and 8 years of Bush and basically any other President since independence I`m willing to bet they haven´t improved much.

On 21.1.2022, 11:39:22, Keleth said:

Really you could just post this video on here as the first post and close this thread.

I think it´s been posted on here a few times but all things considered, it´s worth posting again because it´s a perfect example of the US.

I´m not sure how accurate the figures on there are nowadays but after 4 years of Trump and 2 of Biden, oh and the 8 years of Obama and 8 years of Bush and basically any other President since independence I`m willing to bet they haven´t improved much.

I smile every time I watch this

And this is why the prison cells mentioned in the "Newsroom" speech (above) are so full : 

An Irishman who refused to wear a Covid mask during a flight from Dublin to New York and exposed his rear end to a flight attendant faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of assault, the US justice department said on Friday.

Don't moon on a US airplane

Absolutely, threatening people on a plane deserves an appropriate penalty...

But 20 years??

(I know it says "up to")

On 1/21/2022, 2:39:22, Keleth said:

My daughter said she wanted to have Daniels' mental children. I don't blame her.