Only in America

632 posts in this topic

Next one. No details yet.

A gunman opened fire on his co-workers at a manufacturing facility in northern Maryland on Thursday, killing multiple people before being taken into custody after a shootout with police.

Washington County Sheriff Douglas Mullendore did not immediately identify the 23-year-old assailant, but told a news conference a state trooper stopped him as he was trying to flee.

I didn't watch the video, so I might have missed the point, but how realistic would be for right wing radicals to converge to 2-3 states and eventually separate themselves from the rest of America? I know it's not allowed by the constitution, but in practice it could happen.

4 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Roe v Wade: US Supreme Court strikes down abortion rights

What's the time in the USA? 1620

It's sickening.

I'm not politically biased. I tend to think about subjects in insolation based on the tenets my parents instilled in me. The simplistic concept of right and wrong. This so fucking wrong.

A woman should have complete control over her body and life choices (as should men and those inbetween), so what right does the Government think they have the right to interfere? Any rational thinking person would say none.

Some States are now proposing abortion only in cases of rape or incest only if reported to the Police within a set time limit. WTF?

Rape: A vast majority of rapes are not reported. Many factors come into play as the reason why. Including shame, personal matter, fear of reprisal, Police biased etc.

Incest: Do they honestly think a 12 year-old girl will report it?

(Imagine the phone call scenario in some hick town...)

Police Chief: "Hey Hank, Chief Brodie here..."

Hank: "Hey Chief, what's up?"

Police Chief: "Well... we got Mary Lou in the station..."

Hank: "Oh my God! Is she Ok!?"

Police Chief: "She's fine Hank. Been down at the station telling us some yarns. Girls that age get pretty confused. All the homones and stuff. Maybe you come and pick her up?"

Hank: "No problem. What did she say?"

Police Chief: "Ah, just some fantasies. I know she's 12 and going through a difficult age. Christ! I've four daughters myself so I should know! Maybe she's fallen in with the wrong crowd. Maybe sniffing glue is my best guess. You need to check it out."

Hank: "No worries Chief. I'll talk to her in private tonight. Thanks for the call."

Police Chief: "Anytime Hank."

Some States propose to exclude the rape and incest options. 

Women who have been raped or subjected to incest take years, decades, never, to come to terms with the emotional and psychological trauma. My heart goes out to every victim. Yet they will now be expected to carry the baby to term. Further adding to their continuing trauma.

I saw Frank Schaffer interviewed by Christiane Amanpour recently and found the interview interesting. Excerpt: Former anti-abortion activist regrets role in creating pro-life "propaganda" In full: Why this former anti-abortion activist regrets the movement he helped build From what I recall, he said that the Republican Party/Christian evangelicals had appropriated the abortion issue because they knew it was divisive and would stir people up and get the party votes. He said that Billy Graham was pro-choice.

The US is a shithole for the poor, the sick, people of colour, kids in schools wearing bullet proof vests and now millions of pregnant women in all those redneck states. Greatest country on earth though, allegedly.

39 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The US is a shithole for the poor, the sick, people of colour, kids in schools wearing bullet proof vests and now millions of pregnant women in all those redneck states. Greatest country on earth though, allegedly.

But don't you think it's kinda sad?

I've visited many times over the years and loved every minute. Fantastic experiences, wonderful welcomes and great friends even to this day.

But sadly its fractured, and that fracture will only grow wider.

The United States of America will become a thing of history.