Only in America

772 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

and those nice Californians didn't get around to putting a minimum age on marriage either.

True, you'd need parental permission, but apparently thousands of minors  a year get married there.

Under age marriage

Wow! Disturbing.

Even more disturbing that the "Bay Staters/Massholes” decided to draw a clear line on the minimum marriage age for a female as... 12 years old.

Disclaimer: The 'facts' in paragraph 2 of my post were hastily cobbled together after a 5 minute Google. I am not an American. Neither have I played one on TV. Though I did play a French character in an Italian art house movie shot in Venezuela many years ago. But we don't talk about that one.

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

and those nice Californians didn't get around to putting a minimum age on marriage either.

True, you'd need parental permission, but apparently thousands of minors  a year get married there.

Presumably though  it would be illegal to consummate the marriage before they were 18 or is that wishful thinking?

9 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Presumably though  it would be illegal to consummate the marriage before they were 18 or is that wishful thinking?

Hard to believe, but...

Marital rape in the USA (Wikipedia)

There's a section on age of consent.

Quote:

In Iowa, for example, subsection (2) of article 709.4 Sexual abuse in third degree, excludes sexual acts committed by adults with children as young as 12, provided the parties are "cohabiting as husband and wife"

Unquote.

32 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Hard to believe, but...

Marital rape in the USA (Wikipedia)

There's a section on age of consent.

Quote:

In Iowa, for example, subsection (2) of article 709.4 Sexual abuse in third degree, excludes sexual acts committed by adults with children as young as 12, provided the parties are "cohabiting as husband and wife"

Unquote.

Wow, I would be willing to accept both marriage and sex at 16+ but 12 is unbelievable!

They are called shotgun weddings where I come from but the age seems to be a lot younger now. So 13 yr. old knocks up a 12 yr. old. Not really pedophilia, is it?

Not surprising when you see what's out there these days. Little girls being influenced by things like the WAP video. 

In some states a man can avoid a statutory rape charge by marrying the girl. As far as I know the parents have to give their permission though. As to why they would, I guess culture in some places, religion etc.

Wasn't sure if this was a flummox or belongs here....

Stats / reports like just this make my head spin.

Quote/

[In the US]There are 120 guns for every 100 Americans, according to the Switzerland-based Small Arms Survey (SAS). No other nation has more civilian guns than people.

/unquote 

(and that is a statistic from 2017)

/Quote

About 44% of US adults live in a household with a gun, and about one-third own one personally, according to an October 2020 Gallup survey.

/Unquote

Gun culture world stats (CNN)

PS

Where is the quote button on Android??

42 minutes ago, Metall said:

I love and adore George Carlin.

George Carlin and Robin Williams must have been fighting to get back down here when trump was elected.

So much material...

On 12/3/2021, 9:19:07, Metall said:

I love and adore George Carlin.

Find him in a 20-year-old movie, Jersey Girl, where he plays Ben Afleck's father and, briefly, J Lo's father-in-law.

That's what it looks like? 

Not my joke, but someone in a Seattle alternate weekly came up with the idea to rename guns to 'Critical Race Theory' to keep them out of schools.