Only in America

768 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

"In 2020, the most recent year for which complete data is available, 45,222 people died from gun-related injuries in the U.S., according to the CDC."

It’s just mind boggling that people are against gun control laws, especially when guns are now the leading cause of death for children.  It’s truly a part of the American mentality that I can not relate to.  Even growing up in New Orleans I never ever saw a gun.  My parents must have been really been sheltering us.  🙏 

49 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I also just read that there were 12 mass shootings over the weekend.

Correction - 12 deaths and multiple mass shootings.

here

36 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Correction - 12 deaths and multiple mass shootings.

here

The reader comments were as depressing as the content.  🙄  Truly disturbing what’s goin’ on.  I’m kinda losin’ hope.  😔 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Many sources say suicides make up around 60% of gun deaths in the U.S.

Honestly officer, my husband picked up  the gun with his left hand   and shot himself clean through the back of his head even though he was right handed.:o He was very depressed following that large win on the lottery!

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Though Pew say their source is CDC and CDC say "homicide" not "murder".   

Homicide is the correct term.  Natural, suicide, accidental, unknown, and pending investigations are usually the other choices available on death certificates for the manner of death.  All murders are homicide, but not all homicides are murder.  Without going into a legal definition, homicide is a manner of death and usually occurs when a person or state directly causes the death of a person.  This includes legal and illegal deaths.  Murder is a legal term to describe when the homicide is illegal or caused through negligence.

1 hour ago, JG52 said:

Murder is a legal term to describe when the homicide is illegal or caused through negligence.

Thought murder in US is to do with intent.  Sorry, off topic.

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Thought murder in US is to do with intent.  Sorry, off topic.

It's been a long time since I was involved in death certificates, but there were two sections for the medical examiner to fill out.  The first was the description for the cause of death, which included contributing factors and the specific method, if known, for the death.  The second section identified the manner (homicide, suicide, accident, etc.).  The determination of intent and legality was left to the courts if the case got that far. 

As I remember from my training, murder was defined as the unwarranted taking of a life, regardless of intent.  The presence and degree of intent would determine the specific charge and could range from first degree murder (premeditated intent) to involuntary manslaughter (negligence with no intent).  To go to extremes, Soldiers on a battlefield killing enemy combatants is not murder.  Teenagers in a classroom killing children is murder.

Ten mass shootings this weekend!!!

Perhaps now is the time for all patriotic Americans who own assault weapons to donate them to the Ukrainian soldiers..

I wish that I had thought of this brilliant solution -

D. Allan Kerr
Sun, June 5, 2022, 11:00 AM·4 min read

When did the National Rifle Association become such a bunch of wimps?

During their convention in Texas just days after the horrific massacre at a nearby elementary school, advocates called for arming teachers and increasing police presence in classrooms. But as they say, go big or go home.

D. Allan Kerr

D. Allan Kerr

The answer to bring mass shootings in our schools to an end is right there in front of us, but no one wants to say it. So, I will.

It’s time to arm the kids themselves. If the answer to gun violence is more guns, it’s really the most logical solution.

Now, we have to be reasonable about this. We obviously don’t want kindergartners running around shooting each other accidentally with their tiny fingers, so we would have to establish a rational age requirement. Say, maybe 10 years old. I mean, that’s the age when kids should be familiar with guns anyway if they’re going to grow up in the USA...

the rest

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I wish that I had thought of this brilliant solution -

When you notice a leak in the hull of your boat, the obvious solution to drain the incoming water is drill more holes.  :lol:

Funny you say that. We had water in our bilge yesterday for the first time. The hardest part was figuring out where it came from. Himself made the repair so good as new.

Over the last two decades, more school-aged children have died from guns than on-duty police officers and active-duty military combined. Think about that.
How much more carnage are we willing to accept? How many more innocent lives must be taken before we say enough?

- President Joe Biden

1 hour ago, Findus said:
Over the last two decades, more school-aged children have died from guns than on-duty police officers and active-duty military combined. Think about that.

How much more carnage are we willing to accept? How many more innocent lives must be taken before we say enough?

- President Joe Biden

Not my children, and they weren't old enough to vote.

- Republican Party

According to court papers, the woman, identified in court records only as M.O., notified GEICO in February 2021 of her intention to seek monetary damages, alleging she contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured member in his automobile.

Was it the automobile of @Mr.Bear? One of them needed to be vaccinated for this not to happen.

And from now on all cars in the world will have "not suitable for sex" text printed on the windscreen.