Only in America

884 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, JG52 said:

Ninja deer can be brutal. 

Indeed, ideally a tank would be safer and lots of long range artillery against those dug in wild boars.

5 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Indeed, ideally a tank would be safer and lots of long range artillery against those dug in wild boars.

Surely the same drones used to spot young deer in wheat and corn fields before harvesting could be armed.

Then these can be used for culling without deer hunters having to leave the comfort of a city centre office...

1 minute ago, HH_Sailor said:

Surely the same drones used to spot young deer in wheat and corn fields before harvesting could be armed.

Then these can be used for culling without deer hunters having to leave the comfort of a city centre office...

But then the deer hunters would not need assault riffles and other weapons of mass destruction, no, no, a hunter needs to go out into the woods and experience the danger of the hunt.:rolleyes:

I think the onion nailed it linked to the archive org so you get the same version if you look later.

They have been running the same headline with variations on the same story since 2014, but today, every story on the main page has the headline:-

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Different towns different shootings same story all over America.

Totally tragic.

An 11 year old girl wiped blood on her self, pretended to be dead, and survived the attack. 

On 26.5.2022 12:08:53, JG52 said:

His solution is anything that doesn't upset the NRA or the gun lobbyists and might include more guns for the checkout clerks.

Last night I received a WhatsApp message from one of my acquaintances who returned to Arizona last year after living in Germany for 17 years.  He is a staunch Second Amendment supporter and one of the many who didn't have any idea the first 13 words of the Amendment existed.  His unsolicited message was to assure me the shooting in Uvalde didn't change his opinion and he would oppose any effort to restrict his ability to buy an assault-style weapon and high-capacity magazine.  As far as I know, he doesn't own any of those weapons, and has one hunting rifle.

I didn't reply, but blocked him and deleted him from my contact list.  I don't have any time to waste on mental pygmies like him.

Blocked him? Would it have been worth trying to engage with him?

27 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Dream on. His "unsolicited message" made his position crystal clear. Best to discuss with those (whoever they are) that are having doubts.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

He and had several conversations about this while he was still in Germany.  Attempting to engage him again would have been a waste of my time and bandwidth.  I can't conceive of any situation where we would meet again, so I am comfortable with permanently severing the ties.

19 minutes ago, JG52 said:

He and had several conversations about this while he was still in Germany.  Attempting to engage him again would have been a waste of my time and bandwidth.  I can't conceive of any situation where we would meet again, so I am comfortable with permanently severing the ties.

I know, I know. I'm going to annoy people again with my old stories! I do remember being in a motel in the US during the oil crisis in the 70s. Can't remember why I ended up chatting to an American in Arizona(?) in his motel room but he was polishing a gun and said to me " I'm ready for those Ayyyrabs." ( my spelling!😂).

Strange one this...

Uvalde Police Didn't Enter School As 'They Could've Been Shot'—Lieutenant (newsweek.com)

Now I´m not one to say cops should be charging in gung ho style but to put it bluntly we hear about cops "putting their lives on the line" but they didn´t appear to want any of that in this instance.

We Know Why Police Didn't Breach the Classroom to Confront Texas Shooter...And They Admit It Was a Mistake (townhall.com)

So now apparently they didn´t enter because it was over.

So they think the kids are either all dead in the classroom or that it is no longer an active situation so they wait 45mins for someone to bring a key all the while there are dead kids in there or dying kids and they decide to wait 45mins.

Then you read this from a day later...

Federal agents DEFIED Uvalde police chief's instructions not to enter school | Daily Mail Online

I´m of the mind that once you start equipping Police like frontline soldiers going into combat then surely they should act like frontline soldiers going into combat.

How often do we hear after the police have shot an unarmed person that they thought he was armed yet in this case they know he was armed but didn´t engage.

It´s almost like many people join the Police for the macho image and control it gives them but that couldn´t be right could it.

It s so easy to criticise after the event. Should ve, could ve. Nobody should ever have to deal with this sort of thing in the first place.

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

It s so easy to criticise after the event. Should ve, could ve. Nobody should ever have to deal with this sort of thing in the first place.

Lol.

If this was the UK or Germany then I´d sort of agree with you.However this is the USA where the police are extremely well equipped and well trained (apparently) to deal with this exact sort of situation.

But yes let´s not criticise the handling of this situation by professionals.

Strange how it took the relatively less equipped border guards to decide to enter the room and take care of the situation while the police just stood around worrying about getting shot or thinking it was all over.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236

Bloodbath prevented by an armed woman in Virginia. 

Ok mind changed let´s arm everyone then there will never be another shooting.

I wonder how much time the gun lobby will spend talking about the mental health of the dead man in this situation rather than crowing about how an armed person stopped a slaughter.

Not my thinking at all, Keleth. I hate all the gun hysteria over there. There is a certain bitter irony about this latest shooting soon after the massacre at the school.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

There is a certain bitter irony about this latest shooting soon after the massacre at the school.

There are multiple shootings every day. It is such a normal occurrence that most just make the local news.

28 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

There are multiple shootings every day. It is such a normal occurrence that most just make the local news.

And this one only made the news because a civilian stopped the shooter because it is very rare for this to happen.