Only in America

712 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, tor said:

worse how?

It couldn't have been much worse, there was no one left to kill...

When Ted Cruz says, 

He went on to say that the “most effective” tool to keep kids safe in schools is more armed law enforcement on campuses.

What is his solution for grocery store mass shootings and other places?

2 hours ago, Tap said:

A bit of a prepper and very much into nature,

Not a bit. He sounds as if he's deep into the prepper scene with survival training and all the rest of it.

Here's a ZDF documentary : https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/zdfinfo-doku/szene-deutschland-prepper-leben-fuer-den-ernstfall-102.html

Though teaching his 4 year old daughter how to use a knife and a gun is rather over the top in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

I do a little bit of that myself. 

I've also got some provisions and water to last a few weeks and a gas cooker in the cellar for emergencies. 

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

When Ted Crus says, 

His solution is anything that doesn't upset the NRA or the gun lobbyists and might include more guns for the checkout clerks.

Last night I received a WhatsApp message from one of my acquaintances who returned to Arizona last year after living in Germany for 17 years.  He is a staunch Second Amendment supporter and one of the many who didn't have any idea the first 13 words of the Amendment existed.  His unsolicited message was to assure me the shooting in Uvalde didn't change his opinion and he would oppose any effort to restrict his ability to buy an assault-style weapon and high-capacity magazine.  As far as I know, he doesn't own any of those weapons, and has one hunting rifle.

I didn't reply, but blocked him and deleted him from my contact list.  I don't have any time to waste on mental pygmies like him.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

When Ted Cruz says, 

" He went on to say that the “most effective” tool to keep kids safe in schools is more armed law enforcement on campuses. "

Simple -  bulletproof vests and heavy guns for the frightened cashiers getting minimum wage!

Waddya mean, it don't make no sense?!? Murica!!

Mental health is like Nostradamus predictions.

After the event it’s easy to link a Nostradamus prediction.

You see when he said “the red bear shall inhale of the smoke from the white wheat“ it’s a no brainer he was predicting the Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

But you can only make the association after the event happens.

Likewise everybody knew that kid was dangerously weird after the shooting. But they can never predict which kids are a danger with access the guns.

The GOP likes to talk about mental health because you can discuss it for hours with no resolution. And it saves them from getting serious about gun control.

53 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Likewise everybody knew that kid was dangerously weird after the shooting. But they can never predict which kids are a danger with access the guns.

He did put out what he was planning on the internet. Nobody reported it.

My problem is an 18 yr. old being able to buy TWO AR 15's. Who would need 2 of them unless they were planning a massacre with no time to re-load? And where did he get the money with a part time job in a burger joing?

Ted Cruz is truly disgusting, and embarrassing, addressing reporters and calling America the safest country on earth.  Apparently he accepts more money from pro-gun groups than any other member of Congress.  He‘s completely beholden to the gun lobby and addressing the NRA annual conference tomorrow not far from Uvalde.  Sicko.  🤮 
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/ted-cruz-gun-control-uvalde-1358859/

Democrats’ first attempt at responding to the back-to-back mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, failed in the Senate Thursday as Republicans blocked a domestic terrorism bill that would have opened debate on difficult questions surrounding hate crimes and gun safety.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. tried to nudge Republicans into taking up a domestic terrorism bill that had cleared the House quickly last week after mass shootings at a grocery store in Buffalo, New York, and a church in Southern California targeting people of color. He said it could become the basis for negotiation.

But the vote failed along party lines, raising fresh doubts about the possibility of robust debate, let alone eventual compromise, on gun safety measures. The final vote was 47-47, short of the 60 needed to take up the bill. All Republicans voted against it.

The Iowa legislature just sent a bill to the Governor that would make AR-15s legal for deer hunting. This will give "permission" to even more people to own one, regardless that one is not necessary to hunt a deer. 

1 hour ago, tor said:

This will give "permission" to even more people to own one, regardless that one is not necessary to hunt a deer.

Well now, I heard that deer in Iowa have started shooting back, some even wearing carbon fibre jackets when grazing.

Those poor, helpless deer hunters need more umpf to get their Sunday roast.

2 hours ago, tor said:

The Iowa legislature just sent a bill to the Governor that would make AR-15s legal for deer hunting. This will give "permission" to even more people to own one, regardless that one is not necessary to hunt a deer. 

It's a stupid move, but the legislation was passed on Tuesday and might not be a knee jerk reaction to the Uvalde shooting.   The measure, which was approved on the last day of the legislative session, appears to authorize the use of semi-automatic weapons (not specifically the AR-15) during the new antlerless season in January to thin the herd.  Only 12 U.S. states prohibit the use of the AR-15 (maybe all semiautomatic weapons) for hunting.  Some states that do allow using the AR-15 for hunting require calibers larger than the .223.

https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/25/iowa-lawmakers-ok-deer-hunting-semi-automatic-rifles/9926908002/

Let´s face it after Columbine and Sandy Hook and various other school shootings Americans have accepted that the death of kids is an acceptable byproduct of keeping their freedom to carry a gun.

If the death of kids cannot turn the conscience of a nation then what can.

There will never be strict gun control in the USA.

5 hours ago, JG52 said:

It's a stupid move, but the legislation was passed on Tuesday and might not be a knee jerk reaction to the Uvalde shooting.   The measure, which was approved on the last day of the legislative session, appears to authorize the use of semi-automatic weapons (not specifically the AR-15) during the new antlerless season in January to thin the herd.  Only 12 U.S. states prohibit the use of the AR-15 (maybe all semiautomatic weapons) for hunting.  Some states that do allow using the AR-15 for hunting require calibers larger than the .223.

https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/25/iowa-lawmakers-ok-deer-hunting-semi-automatic-rifles/9926908002/

I know nothing about hunting but to me, if people need a semi-automatic to hunt then maybe those people shouldn´t be hunting.

Another casualty -

The husband of one of the two teachers killed in the mass shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, has died, family members announced on Thursday.

Joe Garcia — whose wife, Irma, was slain in Tuesday’s massacre at Robb Elementary School — died of a heart attack on Thursday morning, their relatives said. The couple had been married 24 years and has four children.

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

I know nothing about hunting but to me, if people need a semi-automatic to hunt then maybe those people shouldn´t be hunting.

Ninja deer can be brutal.