Only in America

714 posts in this topic

Ted Cruz Says Confirmation of Qualified Nominee Sets Dangerous Precedent

borowitz-andy.png
April 7, 2022
U.S. President Joe Biden and Ketanji Brown Jackson associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court nominee watch the results...
Photograph by Joshua Roberts / Sipa / Bloomberg / Getty 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Minutes after Kentanji Brown Jackson was confirmed to the United States Supreme Court, Senator Ted Cruz warned that the confirmation of a qualified nominee set “a dangerous precedent.”
“Make no mistake, Judge Jackson has been confirmed for the flimsiest of reasons—that she is qualified,” Cruz said. “Now that one qualified nominee has been confirmed, we can expect more of the same.”|
“Mark my words, Joe Biden and his cabal of Democratic cronies are ready to pack the Court with other qualified nominees,” he added. “The slippery slope started today.”
Recalling confirmation hearings of yesteryear, Cruz waxed nostalgic for an era “before the tyranny of the qualified seized control.”
“There was a time in America when a Supreme Court nominee could be confirmed because he liked beer and cried about calendars,” he said. “Those days, sadly, appear to be over.”

On 08/04/2022, 17:47:10, AlexTr said:

@Keleth Yeah, when I don't get what another poster is saying I usually just figure it's not for me and move on, but you do you.

It took me a minute but I knew what they were referring to.

Just replied because of your sarky comment about someone having all the knowledge of the world at their fingertips and not using it.

But we know you Americans absolute love of Acronyms because people seem to be too fucking lazy to actually type or say the whole thing.

7 minutes ago, Keleth said:

It took me a minute but I knew what they were referring to.

Just replied because of your sarky comment about someone having all the knowledge of the world at their fingertips and not using it.

But we know you Americans absolute love of Acronyms because people seem to be too fucking lazy to actually type or say the whole thing.

You need to calm TAF down.

:lol: Context matters.

Alec Smith: How a Minnesota man who died from soaring insulin prices could change US diabetes care forever | The Independent

Then read this...

The absurdly high cost of insulin, explained - Vox

Basically, the price is high because the drug companies can price it high, absolutely no other reason.

This is a country that spends somewhere in the region of 800bn a year on defence but they don´t value keeping their citizens at home alive.

They still seem to believe their healthcare is better than anywhere else in the world, funnily enough, don´t seem to hear this from US ex-pats though.

I still cannot understand how healthcare for a whole country can be run for profit rather than for keeping its citizens alive and healthy.

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

You need to calm TAF down.

:lol: Context matters.

And you need to stop trying to belittle people because they ask a simple fucking question.

4 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Alec Smith: How a Minnesota man who died from soaring insulin prices could change US diabetes care forever | The Independent

Then read this...

The absurdly high cost of insulin, explained - Vox

Basically, the price is high because the drug companies can price it high, absolutely no other reason.

This is a country that spends somewhere in the region of 800bn a year on defence but they don´t value keeping their citizens at home alive.

They still seem to believe their healthcare is better than anywhere else in the world, funnily enough, don´t seem to hear this from US ex-pats though.

I still cannot understand how healthcare for a whole country can be run for profit rather than for keeping its citizens alive and healthy.

The Vox link is interesting, comparing the philanthropic actions of Banting and co to the outrageous behaviour of the pharma industry there.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

And you need to stop trying to belittle people because they ask a simple fucking question.

Nope

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

They still seem to believe their healthcare is better than anywhere else in the world

I don't know one single American who believes that other than the Trump-type patriots, most of whom have never left their state.

ETA - Oops, I forgot rich people who do get the best health care.

On 4/8/2022, 5:03:41, Keleth said:

Also unless you´re aware of the views of the poster it could mean "oh fuck she got approved" or "yay".

ok, for the slow kids, next time I will include a flow chart of my views. 

I will also present 'Participation Certificates' just for scrolling past my posts. 

yay. 

23 minutes ago, tor said:

I will also present 'Participation Certificates' just for scrolling past my posts. 

yay. 

And the latest edition of Webster's, please , Tor!👍

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I don't know one single American who believes that other than the Trump-type patriots, most of whom have never left their state.

ETA - Oops, I forgot rich people who do get the best health care.

Apparently even Americans can´t decide on how good their healthcare is...

Americans' Satisfaction With Health Costs at New High (gallup.com)

Americans are still pretty happy with their private health insurance - CNNPolitics

New Poll: Vast Majority Satisfied With Current Health Care Coverage - The Partnership for America’s Health Care Future (americashealthcarefuture.org)

• Public satisfaction with national health systems by country worldwide 2019 | Statista

So depending on who you believe it´s either wonderful and cheap, expensive and shit and so on.

1 hour ago, tor said:

And you can just fuck right off.

Sorry that I´m not an avid follower of the outpouring of your knowledge and views on here. Next time I´ll look through your posting history to see where you stand rather than you posting something that shows your viewpoint.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Nope

Nice to know what sort of a level you are at.

28 minutes ago, Keleth said:

New Poll: Vast Majority Satisfied With Current Health Care Coverage - The Partnership for America’s Health Care Future (americashealthcarefuture.org)

Source

28 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Americans are still pretty happy with their private health insurance - CNNPolitics

Many people are happy with private health insurance. Too bad that only the rich can afford it in America.

Americans are used to their health insurances not covering many things along with sky high copayments, etc. They don't expect much. I could never go back there for that very reason. I don't qualify for Medicare, which doesn't pay everything, or private insurance. I have seen the light. The vast majority of Americans have not.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

I have seen the light. The vast majority of Americans have not.

This is why I said you don´t hear praise of their healthcare system from American ex-pats. If you had never experienced a different healthcare system you would have just put up with your lot and thought it was normal.

It´s propaganda pure and simple, guns and healthcare are something the US seems to be passionate about and all ruled over by lobbyists and the politicians taking money from those lobbyists.

4 minutes ago, Keleth said:

This is why I said you don´t hear praise of their healthcare system from American ex-pats.

Exactly. I was agreeing with you.

12 minutes ago, Keleth said:

This is why I said you don´t hear praise of their healthcare system from American ex-pats. If you had never experienced a different healthcare system you would have just put up with your lot and thought it was normal.

It´s propaganda pure and simple, guns and healthcare are something the US seems to be passionate about and all ruled over by lobbyists and the politicians taking money from those lobbyists.

( In the good old days ): My budget, setting out from Los Angeles to discover the New World in 1973 ) was 600 dollars. My expected last morning there.. my buddy Armenio took me for an American breakfast with steak. A tooth broke. He drove me to a dentist. I can't remember off hand what the dentist did but the process took about 20 minutes.

The bill? That I DO remember- 60 dollars - a tenth of my budget for the next 12 months. 

God knows what 60 dollars is now... I know: 60 dollars!😂

But inflation-adjusted- what would that be?

Whatever... my main point is nothing is more important than affordable health insurance for all. Whether rich or poor.