Only in America

888 posts in this topic

On 28/03/2022, 22:54:03, fraufruit said:

In hindsight, he could have just taken Jada's hand and left the theater leaving that big table right by the stage empty.

That would have been the worst possible course of action.

Arguably Chris Rock was bullying Jada Smith. Making jokes about somebody's disability is bullying. And all the bully has to say when challenged: 

it was a joke lighten up. My special sense of humour. I says it like it is: yada yada

Multiple generations were told by elders who misunderstood bullying. Just ignore the bully. Take the moral high ground. Be the bigger person.

Not realising that the only was to treat a bully is to make then scared to bully. Nothing else works.

Then again Chris Rock's joke probably wasn't malicious. And I've heard lots of really great disabled jokes. Jimmy Carr got into trouble for his joke that after the Iraq war: the British disabled Olympics team is going to be unbeatable. But this time the "victims" of the joke: The soldiers missing limbs thought it was brilliant. 

I guess a joke at the expense of the disabled is only funny if the victim finds it funny. And Jade very obviously didn't find it funny.

At the end of the day Chris Rock had the good sense and composure to just carry on. And not press charges. 

And Will Smith gave a proper apology. Not "We would like to sympathise with all those who took exception...

18 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Not realising that the only was to treat a bully is to make then scared to bully. Nothing else works.

I maintain that, in certain situations, walking away from the bully can be a good choice.

I would be very interested in knowing how walking away from a bully improves the situation. 

Except to stop getting your head kicked in from a physically stronger bully.

14 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Except to stop getting your head kicked in from a physically stronger bully.

There's one example.

If you are the more powerful one, could keep you out of jail for injuring or killing them.

When you engage, you can be giving them power like it is with trolls on TT.

Smith should have just left with his wife, that would have sent a more powerful message to the people who run the event, than slapping Rock

Smiths apology more or less confirms this 

I never cared much for Will Smith or his body of work, and now I think even less about him.  However, negative publicity is still publicity.

I'll be honest. I had never heard of him.  I don't really follow much about show biz. You're right, JG52. Publicity...

I guess this event shows us that they are human too, with feelings and bad moods.  We expect actors and famous people to always appear as perfect as possible, to smile and be gracious to everyone around them and, in his desire to defend his wife, he over reacted.  It's a bit of a non-story really, but the media are loving it and making it last as long as they can.

55 minutes ago, Tap said:

the media are loving it and making it last as long as they can

As is TT. Event over. Enough already.

7 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Arguably Chris Rock was bullying Jada Smith. Making jokes about somebody's disability is bullying.

FFS Alopecia is not a disability and classing it as such is an insult to disabled people.

Sacramento police confirmed multiple gunmen in the shooting of at least 16 people early Sunday morning though no arrests have been made. Videos of the shooting, which took place in a popular nightlife area, showed people running through the street as rapid gunfire could be heard in the background. “Sadly, we once again mourn the lives lost and for those injured in yet another horrendous act of gun violence,” said Gov. Gavin Newsom in a statement. The shooting came just hours after one person was killed and 10 more were injured in a shooting at an outdoor concert in Dallas, Texas. (Sources: ABC News, Sacramento Bee)

Shootings in the U.S. are in my news feed every single day. Another mall shooting at the weekend in Virginia, for example.

needgun.jpg.4340e84462a697d42e52ed777968

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Shootings in the U.S. are in my news feed every single day. Another mall shooting at the weekend in Virginia, for example.

It seems to have gotten so bad that it is hardly worth a mention anymore unless a couple of dozen are killed and scores wounded.

Before I just brush a few remaining teeth and transfer all my income since c. 1578 to the Finanzamt, dear Tor , what ( in proper modern parlance ) is KBJ? I suspect you own a computer and are on social media ? 😡🤭😴

Please do keep up.  Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed as the first black female justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.