NMS or Galilei?

17 posts in this topic

Hello. My five year old daughter will start first grade in August of 2022. We are not considering JFK because it is very far from my office and we want to experience the city life. We are also not considering private schools at the moment because they are expensive (unless you know something I don't :)) We will be two years in Berlin. She is fluent in English and has a good Spanish and Russian level but zero German. What school would you recommend? Please consider not only the academics but also the application process, the probability to get accepted, and, among others, the school neighborhood.

Thanks.

As far as I remember, if you are not going private, then generally children are allocated the nearest Grundschule in the local area. I think you can state a preference for another school for a particular reason, eg one that offers more support for non-German speakers, but I think that would still be in the same catchment area, ie you can't pick and choose schools from just any part of the city. So unless people know where you live, they can't really advise on particular public schools.

Maybe approach your local Schulamt for advice.

2 hours ago, Feierabend said:

As far as I remember, if you are not going private, then generally children are allocated the nearest Grundschule in the local area.

It is not like this anymore. I emailed both schools and they both told me that as long as we live in Berlin is okay.

7 hours ago, Hugo Bo said:

My five year old daughter will start first grade in August of 2022.

When will you be moving?

We are also not considering private schools at the moment because they are expensive (unless you know something I don't :))

Have you asked your employer whether they would pay for private schools? Sending a child to a regular German school for only 2 years seems rather stressful. 

We will be two years in Berlin. She is fluent in English and has a good Spanish and Russian level but zero German.

Not all schools accept children who can't speak German. Some schools will insist on an additional year of kindergarten. 

What school would you recommend? Please consider not only the academics but also the application process, the probability to get accepted, and, among others, the school neighborhood.

NMS is massively oversubscribed. Since you seem to meet their highly mobile criteria, you should definitely apply, but need a back up plan. 

Negotiate a relocation agent as part of your relocation package. 

7 hours ago, Feierabend said:

As far as I remember, if you are not going private, then generally children are allocated the nearest Grundschule in the local area.

You are right, in general this is true and has not changed, but some primary schools are exempt from the catchment area rule.

7 hours ago, engelchen said:

NMS is massively oversubscribed. Since you seem to meet their highly mobile criteria, you should definitely apply, but need a back up plan. 

Thank you. Do you know about the Galilei? It seems to have a very similar program but I have not been able to find much. Their website is in German.

7 hours ago, engelchen said:

When will you be moving?

My daughter will finish Kindergarden in May of 2022. I hope we can move right after.

9 minutes ago, Hugo Bo said:

Do you know about the Galilei? It seems to have a very similar program but I have not been able to find much. Their website is in German.

I've never heard of Galilei before and it seems to be a regular German primary school (perhaps someone else has more info). I don't know why you'd think it is similar to NMS. NMS is one of a handful of well funded "showcase schools" in the public school system as well as a school that caters to highly mobile families. 

13 minutes ago, Hugo Bo said:

My daughter will finish Kindergarden in May of 2022. I hope we can move right after.

What is so important about finishing kindergarten in the US? She will not have enough time to learn enough German to start a regular German primary school in August and you'll be too late to qualify for NMS. 

29 minutes ago, engelchen said:

What is so important about finishing kindergarten in the US? She will not have enough time to learn enough German to start a regular German primary school in August and you'll be too late to qualify for NMS. 

This is one of my biggest concerns. I hope that the schools can do her assessment online if it comes to that.

26 minutes ago, Hugo Bo said:

This is one of my biggest concerns. I hope that the schools can do her assessment online if it comes to that.

Have you negotiated for a relocation consultant yet? You obviously don't know how things work here and without fluent German you will have difficulty navigating the system. 

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324254/ 

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

Have you negotiated for a relocation consultant yet? You obviously don't know how things work here and without fluent German you will have difficulty navigating the system. 

I'm in the process of doing that. Hoping to get one.

58 minutes ago, black1 said:

NMS registration is over for 2022.

Same for Galilei.  Think they will accept late applications in some circumstances (they have not allocated places yet) but OP needs to get their skates on.

26 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Same for Galilei.  Think they will accept late applications in some circumstances

Hello. What's your impression on Galilei? Is it better than NMS? What about school location, etc? Thanks

1 hour ago, black1 said:

NMS registration is over for 2022

There is an exception for high mobility parents. Since we will be there for only two years we qualify.