einburgerung

60 posts in this topic

I remember the good old days, fraufruit , when , as a newbie in Germany , I would just say " ich verstehe nur Bahnhof"😀

29 minutes ago, Berlinexpatnine said:

I just ran across this site that has free placement exams for German courses. The C2.2 exam on the site has a few idioms that stumped me (despite a BA in German, learning German for 30 years, living in Germany for 16 years, passing a PNDS exam many years ago...):

https://www.sprachschule-aktiv-muenchen.de/en/german-test-online/

I got 17 out of 20 right and I was sure going into it that I would have been able to get all of them right. Not sure if the exam on the site is realistic, but I found the most advanced exam sufficiently difficult. 

I tried the link and got 70%, which said I could continue to the next level, but I didn't see where I could go back and check my answers to see which ones I missed. I'll have to try to C2.1 test and see how that is. There was one question that I answered too quickly but could not go back and change my answer to the correct one.

I just took the next exam down on the site, C2.1, and actually scored a bit worse - 80%. However, I recommend the C2.1 exam on the site -- very entertaining and difficult questions that make you question your abilities. I was smiling throughout.

That's funny. I also scored worse on the lower exam, but yes, difficult, but entertaining. My friends rarely correct me, so this was a great and enjoyable challenge.

Now I stepped back to exam C1.2 and scored 96% and apparently missed one question! I guess I'll have to go to C1.1 for a perfect score. I still found many of the C1.2 questions pretty challenging, right at the edge of my knowledge.

Now I'm ready to hang my head in shame. I just took the C1.1 exam and scored just 83%. German language, you have me beat. I guess will have to step back to the B level to get a perfect score, and that's kind of depressing. What have I been doing for the last 30 years?

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I don't belong here.

Your words triggered instantly, but it took another 30secs or so, trawling through the music memory bank in my head to find the culprit.

Generally regarded as their finest live version captured on camera. Thom's 'vocal solo' is exceptional. B)

25 minutes ago, Chelski said:

Your words triggered instantly, but it took another 30secs or so, trawling through the music memory bank in my head to find the culprit.

Generally regarded as their finest live version captured on camera. Thom's 'vocal solo' is exceptional. B)

I have a video of my late son singing that at a karaoke night.

I don't know how you feel, dear fraufruit, when you watch the video. I guess maybe a mixture of pride, happiness, sadness and followed by tears. I would hate to have to post what you just posted. Strength to you, sweetheart!❤️😰

Love is stronger than hate.

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I have a video of my late son singing that at a karaoke night.

It is a beautiful song. I hope your boy done good.

Maybe you have the finest live version captured on camera.

@Berlinexpatnine: I passed the C2.2 level, but the expression “sich in die Nesseln setzen” is unknown to me. I’m living 16 years in Germany as well and grew up near the German border, but never heard of it. Tricky is the difference between “maßgeblich” and “maßgebend”.

Yes, “sich in die Nesseln setzen” is also unknown to me. I do, however, know what Brennnesseln are and would not want to sit in them! 

Think of the English expression, 'get into hot water', and you get the picture with 'sich in die Nesseln sitzen.'

19 hours ago, Krieg said:

Zukunft Zwei should not even be in the test.

Which mode? Konjunktiv or Indikativ?:lol:

14 hours ago, Dembo said:

It doesn't necessarily mean pass an exam but could mean demonstrate a reasonable level of competence in a 5 minute chat with someone

That would make the assessment subjective. You would then see people with similar language levels getting different results. I think, asking for an exam result is more reasonable.

It is already subjective, you don't have to pass the exam (or even take it).

The requirement in law is that you satisfy the competent authority that you speak German to an appropriate standard (See some of my other posts for cross references to relevant laws etc, I can't be bothered to dig them out now). The law says that having a B1 certificate is a guaranteed way to demonstrate that level of German, but they are very much allowed to just say 'OK seems good to me'.

The 5 minute chat was exactly how they determined that my German was good enough. 

On 02.12.2021 14:38:15, pappnase said:

It is already subjective, you don't have to pass the exam (or even take it).

The requirement in law is that you satisfy the competent authority that you speak German to an appropriate standard (See some of my other posts for cross references to relevant laws etc, I can't be bothered to dig them out now). The law says that having a B1 certificate is a guaranteed way to demonstrate that level of German, but they are very much allowed to just say 'OK seems good to me'.

The 5 minute chat was exactly how they determined that my German was good enough. 

If it is already subjective, then steps should be taken to make it objective. The way you described could lead to unfair assessments, depending on the person making the assessment. And even briberies etc. can take place.

To have a concrete evidence would be more fair.

Well the guy that approved me had to justify his decision to his boss, so on the day my application was submitted, he called in his boss as well and they had a conversation with me before they decided my German was good enough.

I think many German bureaucrats would rather go for the 'easy' life and just insist on the certificate, so I'm sure my experience isn't going to be shared by all, I just wanted to point out that the law does not require you to pass an exam, it only requires you to demonstrate competency.