Facebook to change its name

15 posts in this topic

Makes me think of "that's very meta", meaning self-referential (e.g. to describe a book about books, or a museum about museology) - a meaning that's well known among young people: probably that they were thinking of, and the audience it's aimed at. Just sounds extremely bland to me, though that might also have been the intention; something forgettable to escape the limelight.

(Also makes me think of a meta-analysis, which is when you analyse a load of analyses, so the same idea.)

9 minutes ago, anne k said:

Just sounds extremely bland to me, though that might also have been the intention; something forgettable to escape the limelight.

Well, they are certainly in the media at the moment with all the revelations from the whistle blower and Google did a similar thing a couple of years ago when they changed the company name to Alphabet. Facebook really doesn't strike me as a customer focused company that I'd want to have an account with.

42 minutes ago, anne k said:

something forgettable to escape the limelight.

Like nobody will know that it is the exact same company. I wonder what the name change will cost? Not that money is an issue.

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

„Meta“ means „dead“ in Hebrew.  What was Mark thinking?  Or not?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/facebooks-new-meta-handle-means-dead-in-hebrew/

Only if pronounced as "meh-tah". The spelling is totally different, there are two letters "t" in Hebrew alphabet, the one in the "dead" word is spelled as "th" in English (th as Nathan). If you spell Meta (not Metha) in Hebrew letters you will get the word מטה which means "a couch/a bed".

Also, the word "dead" can have positive connotation: "ani meta al ze" (=I would die for this) means that something is amazing, so I am sure the copywriters will have no problem with branding Meta in Israel.

Also, Meta means "a goal" in Ukrainian, and meta.ua is one the oldest web search engines (since 1998, before Google) which 20 years ago was the only search engine suitable for Ukrainian and Russian languages. These days Google speaks Ukrainian pretty good, so it is now a news portal. I guess Facebook can buy them for a couple of pennies.

This just in:  Meta (the company formerly known as Facebook) has just announced its new venture into toy manufacturing with the release of "Meta Man."

The action figure, whose countenance oddly resembles founder Mark Zuckerberg and is dressed in his signature round-neck t-shirt and jeans, will jump up and down when the button underneath its feet is pressed. Pull the string in the middle of its back, it yells "Crush! Kill! Destroy!". Push and pull simultaneously, the figure's head will explode.

Now you can claim to have done a metaanalysis if you searched for something on facebook.