Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3G telephone network switch-off

7 posts in this topic

I have a 3G smartphone, five years old, still working well enough.

I received several messages about the 3G network being switched off at an inderminate time this year, but it still works. I think my smartphone is 3G only, so I may have to buy a new one, although this one still works perfectly. Spending 99€ without need makes me a bit angry (I do not have much else to get angry about%)).

Yesterday the phone seemed to stop working, I switched it off and on, it works again now.

Not even sure if I shall have to buy a new one, this one might keep working, who knows? Otherwise it is one of those ghastly planned obsolescences where perfectly good equipment can no longer be used.

It will continue working on 2G which will not be shut off.  It means however that your mobile internet will be painfully slow but if you don't need mobile internet,  you are still fine.

Most suppliers already switched off 3G network, e.g. O2 in June 21. For this reason I upgraded from IPhone 4S to 12.

Yep, it happened to us few weeks ago. We live in small village in Hessen, O2 signal was already poor in our area. Now they switched 3G off and there is no mobile network signal inside house anymore. It feels like Germany going backwards when it comes to technology. The last time I had to walk outside and climb somewhere higher to make a phone call was 20 years ago... Funny thing the prices they charge to make a call or send text message is almost same as I been paying 20 years ago also (I am on pay as you go) :lol:

P.S. Imagine how much electronic waste they just generated. And they are pushing their agenda about climate change and CO2 taxes...

My mobile handy is still working, I suspect with 2G. A bit slow maybe but I prefer not to spend 99€ on a new handy and chuck away one that still works.

Remember the election campaign, candidates going on about broadband? Where are they now? (The candidates).

20 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Remember the election campaign, candidates going on about broadband? Where are they now? (The candidates).

Switching off 3G is good for mobile broadband. It allows more space for 5G and to fill in the gaps in 4G/LTE (which is fast enough). No point keeping 3G going for the small number of people who use it, and from this thread, those that do are happy enough to just have 2G.

I've had no mobile reception in the Wohnung for the last week or so, but it's nothing to do with this. It happened before: nothing for 3 weeks then the normal LTE signal came back. That time I went to look at the mast and could see all the equipment on my side of it had been removed. Very annoying.

3G was a bit of a mistake. Inefficient use of bandwidth, and high power consumption.

5G is an extension of 4G, and 2G was the standard for ever and is being maintained even longer.

A 3G phone can fall back to 2G for phone calls, and SMS at least.