Asking Finanzamt to explain tax assessment

4 posts in this topic

I recently got my 2020 tax assessment (Bescheid) from the Finanzamt, and to my surprise they gave me a much bigger refund than I had expected. Also they gave me additional refund from the 2019's tax assessment(already closed last year with a refund). In both cases, they have considered a lower rental income "Einkünfte aus Vermietung und Verpachtung". But there is no explanation attached. Can I ask them to provide me with their calculation so that I can consider it for next year?

For information, I do not use a Steuerberater & do my taxes myself using the Taxman software. The apartment that I rent was a new one, handed over in November 2019, and I had not provided the Einheitswert-Aktenzeichen last year as I did not receive it in time. That was generated after I submitted my tax returns.

It would be a pity if they made an error in your favour (has happened to me in the past) and they take a second look...

Did you remember to claim depreciation on the flat? Maybe they credited you for that. Or for the property tax you paid based on the Einheitswert, which wasn't determined until after you filed?

10 hours ago, optimista said:

It would be a pity if they made an error in your favour (has happened to me in the past) and they take a second look...

Yes, that's why I am not doing an Einspruch.

8 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Did you remember to claim depreciation on the flat? Maybe they credited you for that. Or for the property tax you paid based on the Einheitswert, which wasn't determined until after you filed?

I have claimed depreciation as per their feedback from last year. The property tax could explain last year's additional refund. But the amount from this year is much bigger than the property tax.