Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Amazon Deliveries from the UK

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone recently (like in last couple of months) received a package from the UK and had to pay the delivery folks (DHL, UPS...) some additional amount because of paperwork at customs?  I'm not necessarily referring to customs dues themselves.

I recall reports about this being an issue earlier this year.

I was just about the place an order for some items (via amazon.de) and noticed that one item was set for delivery by Amazon UK and before pressing the "Buy now" button wanted to make sure we were not walking into some hidden charges (which are not the responsibility of Amazon de).

No, don't worry, if the item is sold by Amazon.co.uk or by a Marketplace seller who keeps the item in an Amazon warehouse in the UK (= fulfilment by Amazon = FBA), you get charged 19% German VAT instead of 20% UK VAT and the item gets delivered as usual, i.e. within the same short time frame as up to 2020, no extra charges, you don't even notice that it originated from outside the EU. 

The problem you describe arises if you buy something on the Amazon.co.uk Marketplace, which is then sent out by a non-EU marketplace seller directly, i.e. if the item isn't kept in an Amazon warehouse.

Here, you will have to deal with import VAT, and since the German customs office allows DHL to act as an intermediary, you would have to pay to DHL both the 19% import VAT on (price of item + cost of shipping), plus a 6€ fee (Auslagepauschale): https://www-paketda-de.translate.goog/zoll/auslagepauschale.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui   

It was only a couple of boxes of tea, so low value, but yes. Bought from Amazon DE but came from the UK without an extra charges.

I had an issue when I ordered from Amazon.co.uk in January this year.  The item was delivered and sometime later, I got a customs bill by post for almost 100% of the ordered goods value.  It was an Amazon market place seller.  After a lot of to and fro with amazon, they refunded the goods value though I paid the customs bill.  Since then, they seem to have resolved these issues.  Best to order from Amazon.de to be sure though. 

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

Best to order from Amazon.de to be sure though. 

Thats what I wrote that I would be doing - but the system showed that it would come from Amazon UK.  Curious thing though is that the item is manufactured in Germany so I am guessing that Amazon DE is just out of stock.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Curious thing though is that the item is manufactured in Germany so I am guessing that Amazon DE is just out of stock.

Amazon.de isn't the only game in town. Have you Googled it?

To wrap this one up: I have the delivery & there was no additional charge.

Just to recap: the order was placed via Amazon (DE) for a number of items, one of which was deliverd by Amazon (UK).