Nintendo switch

23 posts in this topic

Our 11yr old insists she wants it. She feels left behind compared to her peers, these days youngsters' status is linked to what stuff they own. Mind you, it was identical when I was in school 35yr ago.  Actually not sure how much different is for adults, why do most adults buy overpriced unnecessary flashy cars after all, but never mind...

We are against buying because 1) videogames are uneducational, and 2) okish with buying some junk, but not when it's this expensive.

I'm amazed how many parents apparently buy this to their children.

Where do you stand?

At age 12 I bought an Atari2600. I saved my weekly pocket money for a long period and asked for money on my birthday from my aunts and uncles. It was 200 Dutch guilders, some €90. Expensive for the time. If she wants it, let her save for it and then pay for it. 

40 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

We are against buying because 1) videogames are uneducational, and 2) okish with buying some junk, but not when it's this expensive.

I'm amazed how many parents apparently buy this to their children.

Is that you, dad?

33 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

At age 12 I bought an Atari2600. I saved my weekly pocket money for a long period and asked for money on my birthday from my aunts and uncles. It was 200 Dutch guilders, some €90. Expensive for the time. If she wants it, let her save for it and then pay for it. 

Wow - almost the same here. I got my 2600 used though.

Whether you like it or not, video games are a huge part of worldwide culture. It's an industry that's larger than movies and music combined.

As a teen I played video games with friends and it was an amazing shared experience to be brought into so many worlds, to talk about it together and cheer each other on.

For the last decade there are indeed crappy aspects like loot boxes and microtransactions, etc.

But can video games be educational? Of course! Not only the content, but interest in video games can lead to participating in the industry, be it graphics, writing, stories, programming, music/voicing, promotion, hardware, etc. The key of course is to not get chewed up and spit out by companies that have bad business practices, but the same could be said for many industries.

In 2019 after a long hiatus I picked up retro handhelds as a hobby and I've met some great people online and made friends even here in Berlin. I don't have much time to play but the community is a daily part of my life. I even got involved in stuff related to open source software- and hardware-development and a mid-sized Chinese manufacturer sends me free developer units.

Furthermore, gaming handhelds can be far more interesting than using mobile phones because you have an alternative to the whole Android/iOS ecosystem. The ergonomics are better, less latency, less behavioural tracking (you can use it offline), bigger screen, games are better optimized and it can easily connect to a TV.

If you wait a month for Black Friday / Cyber Monday, maybe you can get a Switch Lite for 200 euro.

A friend bought this for his 7 yo.  Then realized that the games are freaking expensive too.  So first you buy the switch and then she'll be begging you for new games.  I like Skywalkers idea to tell her to save up for it or at least go half and half.  If you go half and half, make sure you get to play too.

Gaming limits should be established from the beginning such as no gaming until after homework and house chores are done. Also, playing outside in the fresh air each day (when possible). I've also read in many articles that gaming or staring at any blue screens an hour or less before bed can cause sleep problems. Many things to consider. Just be clear and concise. Non-compliance punishment is simple - hide the controllers. That's what we did with my son many years ago.

...the above comments are excellent. My kid has one and she is in a universe i absolutely have no idea about. But you do have to go with the flow. Use it, don t abuse it. 

Also, the kids are focused and concentrating. Once upon a time it was prayer. Then books. Then telly. My parents used to tell me i was reading too much. Nose always stuck in a book. Depends also what real alternatives there are.  Peer pressure is a whole subject on its own. Social exclusion could do more harm than a few hours of fluffy, non educational (and i am sure that description is not true just our incomprehending perception) screen time. It is 2021. And your kid should be allowed some boredom. It is part of the picture and necessary IMO.

We have strict times for tablet use (per app, Family Link) but have no limits on desktop gaming. We only have an old Nintendo Wii at home but he doesn't use it.

6 hours ago, Gambatte said:

1) videogames are uneducational

No! Absolutely wrong! Problem is CONSOLE videogames are uneducational!

I'm against console games because you learn nothing from it. On the other hand, desktop games develop hugely.

My 9 year old plays some very educational games like:

• Civilization
  • Timberborn
  • OuterWilds
  • Minecraft
  • Simcity
  • Kerbal Space Program

Besides that, he also plays games that develop either strategy or critical thinking:

• Stronghold Crusader
  • Grim Fandango

At the same time he learns how to use a proper computer, i.e. mouse and keyboard. Serious work can't be done with finger warriors on tablets.

He also enjoys a lot because I have a proper gaming computer, a ultra wide 34in monitor, a proper HOTAS Joystick and a gaming headset for him to make his youtube videos.

There is no console that can match a good gaming desktop with an ultrawide monitor!

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

I'm against console games because you learn nothing from it.

FYI

• Civilization
  • Timberborn
  • OuterWilds
  • Minecraft
  • Simcity
  • Kerbal Space Program

All of these except Timberborn are available on consoles.

So please stop the console games are noneducational especially when you then go write a list of games that are on fucking console.

There is no console that can match a good gaming desktop with an ultrawide monitor!

You´re not wrong there but as someone has already stated there is a vast gap in price.

Serious work can't be done with finger warriors on tablets.

And there he is with his daily shot of arrogance.

What people need to do with their kids and PCs etc is let them play,watch them and you´ll get to know when enough is enough for them.Make sure they do their homework etc first but then why limit them to 2 hours or whatever.

Also nowadays if you insist on your kid going outside then you may find that your kid is spending most of his time alone because there doesn´t appear to be that many kids outside playing nowadays.

My mum always used to moan at me because I spent every conceivable minute playing outside with kids and when dinner time came she couldn´t find me.You can pretty much guarantee her parents and your parents were moaned at by their parents for not spending their free time how the parents think it should be spent.

I remember as a kid watching Test matches ( cricket ) in the summer in England on the telly. Black and white telly. I remember it was sometimes a sunny day and I would draw the curtains to be able to see the screen well. Our Dad ( my brother would also watch) just said " go out and play in the sun.)

We didn't- sport on the telly was more important😂

Mind you, our Dad otherwise said very little and mum had long gone elsewhere - so we had to make our own choices. 

Kids will anyway. 

Peer pressure for new stuff. Yep, there. Balance between homework, physical activities, learning and what parents think is important and can afford ( and if they care.)

I was envious of those mates's parents who cared, were able to care, were able to buy stuff,  were able to help with homework and even make sure I had a bath. 

Even now at 69, childhood memories and I wish all kids had the right parents for their kids' emotional and educational and material  needs.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Also nowadays if you insist on your kid going outside then you may find that your kid is spending most of his time alone because there doesn´t appear to be that many kids outside playing nowadays.

My mum always used to moan at me because I spent every conceivable minute playing outside with kids and when dinner time came she couldn´t find me.You can pretty much guarantee her parents and your parents were moaned at by their parents for not spending their free time how the parents think it should be spent.

Really? Is that your direct experience? It must be a neighborhood/smaller town thing. One of the things I find really good here, in comparison to what I hear from friends in Lisbon all the time, is how much time my children spend outside playing with others. Either in our or someone else’s house or garden, or on the street, small and older children.. the parents chatting with each other with the occasional beer.. it’s kind of great actually. Subjectively much better than my own childhood in a non descriptive apartment block.

In some cases, you might send the kids out to play too but they'll just go visit friends and play at their house.  A cousin of mine some years ago was the first on the block to buy his kids a console and there were always 7-8 boys visiting even going so far as refusing to go home when asked.

Console games can also be educational.

Zelda, for example, has lots of puzzles, though it also has cartoon style fighting.

Human Resource Machine is a great programming game available on Switch, also on other platforms.

The Switch also has some sort of kit for building robots out of cardboard iirc.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

FYI

All of these except Timberborn are available on consoles.

No, Civ 4 is not. That's the last good Civ. The only one that works on a console is Civ 6, which we also have, and it's crap, you learn nothing from Civ 6.

Simcity does not have a console version. You are thinking of some spin-off.

Minecraft, even the tablet version, is very limited compared to PC version. No mods, nothing. I know, I have both.

Kerbal, the console version is extremely limited, no mods, nothing! Any serious Kerbal player knows the game is great because of mods. And I do have a 3D mouse for it, which I own because of my work. Desktop allows huge freedom of controllers and accessories.

,,,not to mention many others I did not list, like Warcraft 3, Master of Orion, etc.

Problem is, the console version is SHIT. They have to remove controls and content to make it work with consoles and with console players.

So please stop the console games are noneducational especially when you then go write a list of games that are on fucking console.

You clearly never played them on a console and on a PC. So please stop.

You´re not wrong there but as someone has already stated there is a vast gap in price.

And there he is with his daily shot of arrogance.

There is a vast price gap between ribeye steak and a turd. You get what you pay for.

5 hours ago, circuits said:

I see you raised the bar from a 200 euro handheld to a 2000 euro desktop :D

You can have a good gaming desktop for far less. But it's one thing I love, to build my own computer.

All of the games I listed can run on a cheap laptop (<500e). Also can run on a very old computer, cheaper than 500€.

BTW, the Switch costs 300€, not 200€.

We play a few other which do require a good gaming computer, but I did not list them.

Another point is that PC games are usually cheaper, especially older ones. I make my wishlist on Steam, wait a few months and get a promo for 1-10€.

And finally, I can still play games from the 1990's on my PC, while new consoles don't ensure backward compatibility (depending on manufacturer). Meaning in many cases you cannot play older games.

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

No, Civ 4 is not.

Then state Civ4 not just Civilization.

Problem is, the console version is SHIT. They have to remove controls and content to make it work with consoles and with console players.

Where did I mention the quality of the games on a console compared to a PC?

You said console games were noneducational and mentioned those games,you mentioned nothing about the quality of them merely about the educational aspect of them.

Also you appear to be hinting that console players are less intelligent than PC owners.

Warcraft 3

Lol care to highlight the educational qualities of this game?

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

You clearly never played them on a console and on a PC. So please stop.

I had a PS1 way back when but always been a computer person rather than console but I don´t look down on people who use consoles.

And I do have a 3D mouse for it, which I own because of my work. Desktop allows huge freedom of controllers and accessories.

Yer a half decent 3D mouse will run you about €300 (the price of a Switch) so definitely many families can afford to buy them for their kids.

All of the games I listed can run on a cheap laptop (<500e). Also can run on a very old computer, cheaper than 500€.

Many games you can play on PC as long as it reaches the min system requirements,whether you´d actually want to play them at that level is another matter entirely.

The quality of using a PC compared to a console is never in doubt but that´s not the point.You´re on about the educational level of games on one platform vs the other which until now you´ve produced absolutely no evidence for.

Sometimes kids want to just have fun.That means doing stuff that they consider fun and not what you may class as fun.

9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

BTW, the Switch costs 300€, not 200€.

Read what I wrote: if you wait a month for Black Friday / Cyber Monday, maybe you can get a Switch Lite for 200 euro (like last year when they dropped from the exact same current price of 239 to 200). Yes there's a massive semiconductor shortage but it's not inconceivable.

Welcome to my world @Gambatte! Daily conversation with Kid 1: ““ALL OF THE OTHER KIDS HAVE GOT….[insert relevant console name, or mobile phone for that matter]”

Presently the console of hope/desire/need/nightmares is the Nintendo Switch. Quite a few of his 11 year old friends have got a Switch, but definitely not all of them.

He already has a laptop as a present for starting Gymnasium, but it's not really made for gaming. A couple of weeks ago he used some of his birthday money (with our consent) to buy Minecraft. Microsoft allow you to limit their access and also playing time, but to be honest so far we haven’t had a problem limiting his game time, as:

1) he has to do his homework beforehand,

2) he has other stuff he wants to do,

3) he knows that when I tell him he has been on for long enough (somewhere around the 30 minute to an hour mark, depending on whether I’m busy!) the choice is to go along with it, or lose the laptop for a few days.

Don’t read too much into the Console=play, Laptop=educational though. From what I can see, our kid spends most of his time on Minecraft (nominally "educational") punching sheep.

Our current thoughts are that we will get him a Switch for Christmas with Mario Kart 8 (the game that: "ALL THE OTHER KIDS..."), but it will be with the same provisos as the Minecraft playing.

A bit like with junk food/chocolate/TV, our view is allowing some controlled access today, may stop it becoming an obsession for them to binge on in future years.

Let us know what you decide.