Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Import Duty On PCs

9 posts in this topic

I "need" a new PC.  Previously, I have purchased my PCs from Quiet PC in England.  In these post Brexit times such a purchase will probably attract German VAT and import duties which might make Quiet PC uncompetitive.  Because of this I am minded to use an EU based supplier.  Before I close the door on Quiet PC, can anyone here tell me what the additional costs would be?  All help (and ridicule) gratefully received.  

No warranty.

Are you sure they don't have an EU shop? They seem to be country-aware and showing prices in Euros. Looks like they have official EU representation.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

No warranty.

Are you sure they don't have an EU shop? They seem to be country-aware and showing prices in Euros. Looks like they have official EU representation.

Thanks.  I spoke to the sales department at Quiet PC.  There is a product information site for foreign prospects but an EU presence.

4 hours ago, starkebogen said:

Thanks.  I spoke to the sales department at Quiet PC.  There is a product information site for foreign prospects but an EU presence.

Sorry big typo "but an EU presence" should say "but no EU presence".  I D I O T !.  

1 hour ago, starkebogen said:

Sorry big typo "but an EU presence" should say "but no EU presence".  I D I O T !.  

That means no warranty and you are subject to VAT and import taxes.

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

That means no warranty and you are subject to VAT and import taxes.

But no UK VAT...

I think you technically have a warranty, but it'll be a pain to make use of it because shipping the PC back to the UK will probably attract VAT on their end and then again when it's returned to you. There are supposed to be ways to avoid VAT being charged in cases like this but I doubt they are very reliable given how I was charged VAT on a gift from the UK that was clearly declared as being a gift and worth 10GBP, which is well below the €45 threshold. By the way I got my €2.22 MwSt back from the Hauptzollamt in Giessen. It took several weeks but there was no way I was going to let it slide on principle! I now know how the process works and can skip straight to step 2 and save myself some hassle.

For commodity stuff that's all made in China anyway I wouldn't dream of wasting my time with a UK supplier any more. Buy in the EU and save yourself the heartache.

U can order with Dell ( like I did in March this year), you can configure your new PC laptop to have a UK keyboard like I wanted, Notboosbillinger.de would not do that. I paid with a German credit card, it arrived quick.

I did try to order with amazon in January, but they delayed and delayed, I guess due to BREXIT, so I cancelled, the DEL configuration makes it easier.

I did do not know how expensive it is compared to other ways to get the a machine, sorry

I guess the warranty is valid.