Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does Anyone Work in Munich?

10 posts in this topic

I am a restaurant owner and used to have plenty of employees in the kitchen and service -- NO German language needed -- what happened to people wanting jobs? ? Did everyone go to work for BMW? I am confused?

Unfortunately, this is the case in many countries, especially in the U.S. Restaurants are having to offer a lot more money and perks to get people. Everyone deserves a living wage and good working conditions.

If you follow German news, you would read that nearly 400,000 jobs were lost in gastronomy and hotels last year due to corona. Kurzarbeit was not an option to them, since you can‘t live of 60-67% of your net wage in those industries, so people looked for other, more secure and better paying jobs. In the Netherlands it‘s very similar.

Also:

Travel restrictions = no incoming immigrants 

Brexit = no gap year knuckleheads hanging out going to beer festivals

Loss of sustaining income = loss of income dependent Aufenthaltstitel

The list goes on.

If your business model was based on underpaying people who were happy to get whatever, you may want to draft a new model.

No problems finding staff up here but we're not Munich.  Where are you looking?  Ebay kleinanzeigen seems to be the place for everything these days, including job ads.

17 hours ago, cali1809 said:

I am a restaurant owner and used to have plenty of employees in the kitchen and service -- NO German language needed -- what happened to people wanting jobs? ? Did everyone go to work for BMW? I am confused?

How much are you paying? I think that is the big question. I had a Minijob at a restaurant right before the pandemic hit and I never went back because the pay (minimum wage to reach 450 was about 45-47 hours a month) was not worth the time and back breaking labor in a kitchen. 

Going out to eat will get more expensive if you want restaurants to pay better wages. But maybe it should be more expensive. 

I might go 4 or 5 times to a restaurant in a year, so it's not a big deal to me as I like to cook at home.  

Perhaps the people going 2 nights a week or every weekend should be paying more. Clearly they prioritize it!

No comments from the OP? I can only join in with the others who say that all bars, restaurants, hotels and so on have problems at the moment. All over Europe, I think.

18 hours ago, wien4ever said:

Going out to eat will get more expensive if you want restaurants to pay better wages. But maybe it should be more expensive. 

I might go 4 or 5 times to a restaurant in a year, so it's not a big deal to me as I like to cook at home.  

The best restaurant is still at home!  Chicken casserole in the oven- with variety of chopped veggies,  chickpeas, tomatoes, and spicy seasonings. 

Plenty for next couple of days.  I have some packets of the herb and speck dumplings- quick boil, then will slice and sauté. 

Dessert- stewed plums with ice cream.

PS- should go into the Cooking thread!!