3G in Restaurants?

3,782 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Eric7 said:

It's one of our favourite places.

The wife is in love with Friedrichshafen and as it´s only a couple of hours drive away we nip down there quite often during the summer sometimes just buying a round trip ticket for the boat and staying on there.

20 minutes ago, bennetn said:

As long as they know to replace U with A, it's all good then.

This has always puzzled me (not only in English). How one can explain from the point of view of psychology, how replacing one letter or putting an asterisk for some reason makes a swearword to be no swearword anymore.

It reminds me of a tradition of diaspora Jews to spell G'd (G'tt, D'eu, etc). The idea behind it is that God's name should never be dirty, so if "God" is written on paper and this paper ends up in a trash bin, God's name becomes dirty. This is no longer relevant for the Internet, but whatever: people keep spelling like this anyway (just in case someone prints out their Facebook messages on paper). This is religion, and it has some internal logic.

Now, the word "fuck" is dirty by itself. Does spelling "f*ck" make it cleaner? Interesting. 

7 minutes ago, Keleth said:

The wife is in love with Friedrichshafen and as it´s only a couple of hours drive away we nip down there quite often during the summer sometimes just buying a round trip ticket for the boat and staying on there.

That's where we normally go as well and are also only about 2.5 hours drive away.
So many trips to Spieleland in Ravensburg until the lad got too old for it all... :lol:

The catamaran over to Konstanz is good too.

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

That's a problem with small kids especially. My 8 year old hears "fuck" in school all day long but it's not a "bad word" here. I doubt the teachers even see a problem with it much as a teacher in Ireland wouldn't likely admonish a child for saying "scheiße" either. I have to remind him that he would need to be careful not to use that language in Ireland when talking to his granny!

I teach English here in business settings and sometimes people will use the "f" word in my lessons, generally to try and sound cool, but I let them know straight away that it's not acceptable in my lessons and they will never hear me use it.

4 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

This has always puzzled me (not only in English). How one can explain from the point of view of psychology, how replacing one letter or putting an asterisk for some reason makes a swearword to be no swearword anymore.

It reminds me of a tradition of diaspora Jews to spell G'd (G'tt, D'eu, etc). The idea behind it is that God's name should never be dirty, so if "God" is written on paper and this paper ends up in a trash bin, God's name becomes dirty. This is no longer relevant for the Internet, but whatever: people keep spelling like this anyway (just in case someone prints out their Facebook messages on paper). This is religion, and it has some internal logic.

Now, the word "fuck" is dirty by itself. Does spelling "f*ck" make it cleaner? Interesting. 

I think they were talking about how to pronounce the f word in Ireland.

10 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

That's where we normally go as well and are also only about 2.5 hours drive away.
So many trips to Spieleland in Ravensburg until the lad got too old for it all... :lol:

The catamaran over to Konstanz is good too.

Would love to go on the Zeppelin but last time we were there (2019) it was €125pp for I think what was a 30 min trip.

10 minutes ago, Tap said:

I teach English here in business settings and sometimes people will use the "f" word in my lessons, generally to try and sound cool, but I let them know straight away that it's not acceptable in my lessons and they will never hear me use it.

I've been teaching my colleagues English at work. What I do is differentiate between "at work" (professional setting possibly with supervisors/CEO, squeaky clean language) and "not at work"/outside/at lunch etc. (swear like a truck driver).

They get the difference, and, while portraying how hypocritical English is, it's also a never ending source of entertainment. :)

19 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

In Ireland, they sack "fack" rather than fuck.  It's a much softer way of saying fuck.

To much hate on swearwords, they have a use and a place in the language to enrich the meaning and changing a swearword to a softer version is a variation on that theme.

15 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

You might want to read up the law that specifies who gets "genesen" status, it's on the Robert-Koch-Institut website: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Genesenennachweis.html

Hint: only a PCR test is permitted in that law.

• Technical requirements for proof of disease, with effect from 15.01.2022:
    From a professional point of view, a proof of recovery within the meaning of the COVID 19 Protective Measures Exemption Ordinance and the Coronavirus Entry Ordinance must comply with the following requirements:

(a) testing for evidence of previous infection must have been carried out by laboratory diagnosis using nucleic acid detection (PCR, PoC-PCR or other methods of nucleic acid amplification technology)

AND

(b) the date of collection of the positive test must have been at least 28 days ago

AND

(c) the date of collection of the positive test shall not be more than 90 days ago.

The duration of the convalescent status was reduced from 6 months to 90 days, as the scientific evidence to date indicates that unvaccinated persons have a reduced and even more time-limited protection against re-infection with the omicron variant after having been infected.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I'm also not enamoured of your frequent use of the "f" word. 

You're a Brit, you know it's impolite and has no place in a civilised discussion.

Here is the article of the RND news agency (which belongs to the SPD, so they get these things early) on tomorrow's planned changes: https://www.rnd.de/politik/beschlussvorlage-zur-mpk-neue-pcr-testverordnung-und-oeffnungsperspektiven-PZCOAPOU5BG2VGD3HSED243MTE.html

• Above all, the roundtable around Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD) and the heads of the federal states wants to adjust the test regulations. This is the result of a resolution paper of Sunday afternoon (as of 2 p.m.), which is available to the RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland (RND).

According to the paper, in future only vulnerable groups are to be given a PCR test to check a positive rapid test. The draft resolution for the meeting on Monday states: "The PCR tests, which are only available to a limited extent, are to be concentrated on vulnerable groups and employees who care for and treat them. In other words, on staff especially in hospitals, in surgeries, in nursing, in institutions for integration assistance and for persons at risk of severe courses of disease." In these cases, the suspicion of a Covid 19 infection should continue to be clarified by a PCR test. In addition, PCR tests should continue to be used for high-risk patients (elderly, comorbid, immunosuppressed patients) in order to enable early treatment and antiviral therapy.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Thanks Panda. But to go back to my initial question,  if you NEED a PCR test to be considered Genesen and they won't now give you a PCR test,  how can you now get the Genesen status ? The way I see it is that an average non vulnerable person cannot get it if they can't get a PCR test from now on. 

29 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

As a student I worked on a building site and the foreman had the nickname of "flip",  he was Salvation Army and unlike everyone else never used a swear word but would say flip or flipping hell where others would use the f word, not sure either if that is really cleaner.

2 hours ago, AlexTr said:

This has nothing to do with government. Her employer made a policy. She decided not to follow it. She effectively quit. Life sucks sometimes. People like her never complained when LGBTQ people were being fired for being gay. Let her find a new job.

Indeed and also I found this statement particularly worrying:-

"I don't believe it's the government's place to dictate things that are between a human being and their creator,"

Things like that are usually followed by, " and I know because god speaks to me and if you don't do what I say you are blaspheming and should be burned at the stake!"

Typical of religious tolerance.:o

24 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Thanks Panda. But to go back to my initial question,  if you NEED a PCR test to be considered Genesen and they won't now give you a PCR test,  how can you now get the Genesen status ? The way I see it is that an average non vulnerable person cannot get it if they can't get a PCR test from now on. 

You are a clever person, you know the first block is the PRESENT (you need a PCR test nowadays) and the second block is a potential FUTURE (they won't give PCR tests to everyone).   So most probably the CURRENT regulations would be changed to make sense in the NEW potential situation.

41 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I think they were talking about how to pronounce the f word in Ireland.

25 minutes ago, bennetn said:

In Ireland, they sack "fack" rather than fuck.  It's a much softer way of saying fuck.

To much hate on swearwords, they have a use and a place in the language to enrich the meaning and changing a swearword to a softer version is a variation on that theme.

Sure. A similar trick exists in Polish, where "kurwa" (a very strong swearword, do not use it in public) is replaced with "kurcza" or "kurde". The latter two words are more soft and acceptable. 

In Hebrew, an interesting phenomenon happened: the word "dick" begins with the letter Z, so people said "Z" for "dick". These days, the name of the letter became a synonym for dick, so the letter is now a swearword if you use it in a certain context, such as: 

"it's on my Z" = "I don't give a fuck". 

15 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

As a student I worked on a building site and the foreman had the nickname of "flip",  he was Salvation Army and unlike everyone else never used a swear word but would say flip or flipping hell where others would use the f word, not sure either if that is really cleaner.

Young kids nowadays say "fudge", the intention is the same however.

It's all about context, isn't it? 

Example: I was a TEFLer in London many moons ago and had many young (20-25 ) students in a particular class, many of whom were " polite " Japanese, Malaysian etc women ,  who wouldn't dream of using " bad " language.

At that time, there was a fair amount of groping of women about on the Tube.. So I actually made a point of telling them - if it happened to them - to shout at the top of their voice -" whose fucking hand is this?"

They found it amusing. Thankfully, I don't think the DOS overhead the mantra we practised that morning!😂

15 hours ago, catjones said:

You mean the thousands of shareholders?  You think every one of them is in it "for the money"?

I missed this gem yesterday...

Yes, I think every one of the Pfizer shareholders are in it for the money.
Not only that, the only duty of the management of Pfizer (or any other large corporation) is to provide a return on investment to those shareholders.
Money is the number 1 priority, not public health or any other utopian idea.

14 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Money is the number 1 priority, not public health or any other utopian idea.

Und das ist auch gut so! (c)

I had a "luck" to live in a country where having a for-profit business was illegal and was punished by jail time. 

No, thanks, never again. 

As much as the US healthcare system is terrible and profit-oriented, I prefer this to Communism health care any day. 

Ah, btw, there were no anti-vaxxers in the Soviet Union. The was not even "Impfpflicht": you just took the vaccine offered by the government, and that was it. 

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I had a "luck" to live in a country where having a for-profit business was illegal and was punished by jail time.

Where was this?

I have absolutely no problem with a company being driven by profit. That's completely normal and can't really be any other way.

I do have a problem when:
1. The people presenting the summaries of the companies data have financial interest in said company
2. The people approving this companies products have financial interest in said company
3. The people deciding policy concerning using this companies products have financial interest in said company

No matter how you slice it, that's corruption.

7 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Where was this?

I have absolutely no problem with a company being driven by profit. That's completely normal and can't really be any other way.

I do have a problem when:
1. The people presenting the summaries of the companies data have financial interest in said company
2. The people approving this companies products have financial interest in said company
3. The people deciding policy concerning using this companies products have financial interest in said company

No matter how you slice it, that's corruption.

Ok, who in EMA has a financial interest in Pfizer/ BioNTech? Who is the corrupt person in the Japanese medical authority, who in Australia? Who in Canada? Who in all over the 100 countries which approved the vaccination?

1 hour ago, Tap said:

20 years ago we had a 16 yo German exchange student enter our home for a 2 month stay, and every other word started with „f“.  I nicely, but firmly, gave him the „Oma test“ talk and all went well.  I hear some rather appalling things spoken and sung in English on the street here by non-native speakers.  I am convinced many people have no idea what they are saying and  if they did they would be quite embarrassed.

On a humorous note: I’m the lone native English speaker in a 50+ pop choir and am often asked for precise translations of vernacular AE and poetic phrases in our song lyrics.  Always, always, has to do with sex.  😂