3G in Restaurants?

4,528 posts in this topic

The omicron variant of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 that has swept across the U.S. since late last year has taken a grimmer toll than earlier variants, including in people who were vaccinated and even had booster shots.

That’s according to a Washington Post analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which found that 42% of COVID fatalities in January and February were of vaccinated people, compared with 23% of the dead in September, when the delta variant was still dominant.

The data are based on the date of infection and limited to a sampling of cases in which vaccination status was known, the paper reported. The deaths were mostly in elderly people and people with compromised immune systems. Almost two-thirds of those people who died during omicron were 75 and older.

Omicron, and its growing number of subvariants, has proved to be far more infectious than earlier strains. The rise in fatalities is thought to be linked to vaccine protection waning over time, making it harder for those patients who are most at risk to avoid contracting the disease.

The data also show that unvaccinated people remain at far higher risk than the vaccinated, and are far more likely to die if they do become ill, and they are at more risk than people who have had their booster shot.

“It’s still absolutely more dangerous to be unvaccinated than vaccinated,” Andrew Noymer, a public health professor at the University of California at Irvine who studies COVID-19 mortality, told the newspaper.

here

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

that 42% of COVID fatalities in January and February were of vaccinated people, compared with 23% of the dead in September, when the delta variant was still dominant.

That very much confirms  the vaccines are so much less effective against Omicron but also catching it  may not  just give you mild cold symptoms and despite this, the major defence left to us, ffp2 mask wearing has been relaxed.:wacko:

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

despite this, the major defence left to us, ffp2 mask wearing has been relaxed.:wacko:

Thank god or partying all weekend with thousands of people at the Frühlingsfest would've been a bit of a bummer. 

Just remember,  if you're such a believer you can still wear a mask if you want to though.  Nobody is stopping you.  The difference is that nobody is forcing me. 

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The data also show that unvaccinated people remain at far higher risk than the vaccinated, and are far more likely to die if they do become ill, and they are at more risk than people who have had their booster shot.

I bet some of the idiots I see in shops without masks are unvaccinated...

Edited to better reflect reality ;) 

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

I bet all the idiots I see in shops without masks are unvaccinated...

Nope.

We're allowed to go into shops and restaurants without masks if we choose.  I bet a lot like myself are boosted. 

How about we all just move on with the times, accept that Covid is going to be with us forever, that the majority of us are fully vaccinated and / or boosted, that mask wearing should be a personal choice unless - like in hospitals, clinics and old folks' homes - it's still required? This way we can manage the problem instead of going back to the mindset of forcing us to go into some sort of lockdown, or stigmitising those who are simply interested in living a normal life again, which includes not wearing a mask when out to buy some milk or go into a bar for a brew.  When I was in Canada recently I met many people who are still living in complete fear of going outside, ffs, and their numbers are better than those here overall. It's time to move on. 

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

I bet all the idiots I see in shops without masks are unvaccinated...

You mean the cashiers ? Who are probably thankful that coming into summer they're not forced to wear a face nappy. 

Or people who have already had it and realized it's nothing to fear. 

Or maybe people who are fed up of the hysteria of the last 2 years. 

But keep wearing that mask if it makes you feel safe. :P:P:P

2 minutes ago, silty1 said:

mask wearing should be a personal choice unless - like in hospitals, clinics and old folks' homes - it's still required

And public transport (thank fucking Yahweh)

7 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

And public transport (thank fucking Yahweh)

Public transport, sure - forgot that - I'm just so used to riding the bike

21 minutes ago, silty1 said:

Public transport, sure - forgot that - I'm just so used to riding the bike

Quite by accident, when I forgot to remove my mask after coming out of a shop, I found that ffp2 masks keep you face warm when riding a bike in the cold.😷

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."

Charles Darwin 1809–82

On 25.4.2022, 11:25:35, Jonny said:

Omicron is nature's vaccine

Tell that to those who took it instead of a vaccine in Hong Kong.

With nearly 3,000 lives lost in less than three months, Hong Kong’s fifth wave of Covid-19 – led by the highly infectious Omicron variant – has dealt a deadly blow to the once zero-Covid city.

https://hongkongfp.com/2022/03/12/covid-19-in-data-6-charts-showing-hong-kongs-deadly-omicron-outbreak/

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Do you mean the elderly people with lots of comorbidities who didn't get vaccinated due to the government locking down and giving a false sense of security ?

Yesterday I heard a doctor talking about lockdowns and flattening the curve.  He said that if you looked at places with severe lockdowns you had a flatter bell curve as opposed to the much taller but narrower bell curve in those countries that didn't lock down so severely. But in the end the areas under both curves are pretty much the same. 

You've got to let it take its course.  Spanish flu took us about 3 years to get over.  Looks like covid will be the same. 

13 minutes ago, Jonny said:

You've got to let it take its course.

Of course you do, but usually most non psychotic people taking it´s course does not mean "ah fuck it let everyone catch it and if you´re one of the ones who die then that´s life."

But surely if you want it to run it´s course you wouldn´t be interested in the Ivermectin cure or the Vitamin D cure or the fitness cure.

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Spanish flu took us about 3 years to get over.

Is that the same one that 50m people died from?

The same one you proudly tout because there were no vaccines?

That one?

I´m glad you are happy to accept millions dying because it means people won´t get vaccinated.

17 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Do you mean the elderly people with lots of comorbidities who didn't get vaccinated due to the government locking down and giving a false sense of security ?

How can you ask that question when you´re of the belief the vaccine doesn´t work so even if they´d been vaccinated it wouldn´t have made a difference?

GRR. I had a big post here with links to the actual data regarding the mean excess death-rate etc. And TT ate it.

Ignore me.

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

How can you ask that question when you´re of the belief the vaccine doesn´t work so even if they´d been vaccinated it wouldn´t have made a difference?

Because of cake.  Eat it, share it, sell it and have it.

Combined Nasal, Oropharyngeal Povidone Iodine Plus Glycyrrhizic Acid Sprays, Accelerate Clinical and Laboratory Recovery and Reduces Household Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial

In this randomized placebo-controlled clinical study, we tested the effects of intranasal and oropharyngeal delivery of a compound of povidone-iodine 0.5% and glycyrrhizic acid 2.5 mg/ml on the laboratory (PCR) and clinical recovery from SARS-CoV-2 patients and their household contacts. 353 patients suspected of having COVID-19 infection were screened by chest CT and nasopharyngeal swab tests (PCR). 200 patients were randomly allocated to two equal groups: treatment and placebo groups. Treatment accelerated the recovery of PCR on days 4, 7, and 10, as evidenced by PCR-positive patients (70, vs. 99%, 20 vs. 65%, 1 vs. 10%) in both the treated and placebo groups, respectively. Treatment enhanced the early recovery of symptoms [day 7.6 ± 2 (CI 7:8.3) vs. 8.9 ± 2 (CI 8.3:9.6)]. Treatment promoted early recovery of anosmia and ageusia [5.6 ± 1 (CI, 4.8:6.4) vs. 11 ± 3 days, (CI, 10.8:12)] in both the treated and control groups (P < 0.0001). There was a notable reduction in transmission of the virus among the household close contacts in the treatment group (4%) vs. 76% in the placebo group. Combined PVI-GA nasal and oropharyngeal spray accelerates both laboratory and clinical recovery of SARS-CoV-2 infected patients in the early phases of the disease and reduces the household spread of the virus; thus, it may play an important role in controlling coronavirus outbreaks.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2022.863917/full