3G in Restaurants?

4,506 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, theGman said:

Anyone know why cases are rising again in Germany right now? Cases are rising again in the UK too, but that's understandable as they removed all restrictions two weeks ago...but what's changed in Germany?

Germany is surrounded by a bunch of other countries where anything goes. Every 2nd person in Switzerland has it and they come here where I live daily and vv.  Was only a matter of time IMO. 

24 minutes ago, theGman said:

Anyone know why cases are rising again in Germany right now? Cases are rising again in the UK too, but that's understandable as they removed all restrictions two weeks ago...but what's changed in Germany?

School holidays a couple of weeks ago. Happens every time.

Are hospitalisations rising ? If not then who cares.  My family all got it but it was mild.  Less than a cold so no big deal. 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Are hospitalisations rising ? If not then who cares.  My family all got it but it was mild.  Less than a cold so no big deal. 

The infection numbers for Germany since the start of 2022 are huge, much higher than anything we have seen before. On the other hand deaths, while still in significant numbers, are somewhat lower than at the peak at the end of last year and much much lower than at the same period in 2021. My guess is that the thankfully less serious but more infectious Omincron variant and free and freely available testing is the cause of the high numbers but the deaths would still indicate there are people needing hospital treatment.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

What is interesting to look at is excess mortality rates, i.e. how many more deaths there have been than usual. The governments are not just trying to affect how many people have Covid. They do have to think of other things too, like flu. If they allowed Covid AND the flu to do their own thing, then e.g. cancer patients would also suffer as hospitals would be too full to be effective at this time of year, hence the stricter rules in flu season.

But when looking at the number of deaths, it's no good either saying they are low, so Covid is harmless and we don't need masks, when it is the masks etc. making the figures that low. Masks are obviously good at stopping flu, too, so flu deaths have fallen. And vaccinations have reduced the number of deaths. But despite that, there are still sightly more deaths than usual at this time of year in Germany, which suggests that it could have been a lot worse without masks/vaccinations. It is still much better than in a lot of other countries, though. Germany hasn't been that strict at all, but if it were up to me I'd be fine with laxer regulations.

(9 March 2022) ... Since the second week of January 2022, death figures have been around the median of the preceding years or only slightly higher than that value. The number of COVID-19 deaths rose significantly as of mid-October 2021. It reached an interim maximum early in December 2021 and then declined into January 2022. Since the end of January, death figures have gone up again. https://www.destatis.de/EN/Themes/Cross-Section/Corona/Society/population_death.html

11 minutes ago, anne k said:

What is interesting to look at is excess mortality rates, i.e. how many more deaths there have been than usual. The governments are not just trying to affect how many people have Covid. They do have to think of other things too, like flu. If they allowed Covid AND the flu to do their own thing, then e.g. cancer patients would also suffer as hospitals would be too full to be effective at this time of year, hence the stricter rules in flu season.

But when looking at the number of deaths, it's no good either saying they are low, so Covid is harmless and we don't need masks, when it is the masks etc. making the figures that low. Masks are obviously good at stopping flu, too, so flu deaths have fallen. And vaccinations have reduced the number of deaths. But despite that, there are still sightly more deaths than usual at this time of year in Germany, which suggests that it could have been a lot worse without masks/vaccinations. It is still much better than in a lot of other countries, though. Germany hasn't been that strict at all, but if it were up to me I'd be fine with laxer regulations.

(9 March 2022) ... Since the second week of January 2022, death figures have been around the median of the preceding years or only slightly higher than that value. The number of COVID-19 deaths rose significantly as of mid-October 2021. It reached an interim maximum early in December 2021 and then declined into January 2022. Since the end of January, death figures have gone up again. https://www.destatis.de/EN/Themes/Cross-Section/Corona/Society/population_death.html

Covid deaths probably three times higher than records say - BBC

Which was probably to be expected really. Especially in countries where, for whatever reason, covid reporting was probably severely lacking.

22 minutes ago, anne k said:

What is interesting to look at is excess mortality rates, i.e. how many more deaths there have been than usual

Indeed that is the way to go, the last report I saw from the UK, some weeks ago, suggested that the rate there has now dropped to zero and that in a land where most covid restrictions have been abandoned. Good news at least in that respect things are looking up.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Indeed that is the way to go,

I disagree. This isn´t good enough, as you also need to look at those suffering from long covid.

10 minutes ago, jeba said:

I disagree. This isn´t good enough, as you also need to look at those suffering from long covid.

Is there definite proof that the Omicron variant is causing significant long covid suffering?

Clearly, excess mortality is not the only thing anyone needs to look at. It just gives you some idea of how many people might have died.

Was talking to Himself about going away next week for a night or two. My Austrian friend piped in, "Why not go to Austria? You can do everything there." I asked her what she meant by that and she said you don't have to wear a mask or show anything to go in a restaurant. I told her that we can do everything in Germany and that I don't mind wearing a mask (geez, isn't everyone used to it by now) and that I prefer to dine with people who I know are 3 G. 

So we'll just go somewhere in Germany.

17 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Is there definite proof that the Omicron variant is causing significant long covid suffering?

is long covid even relevant when proposing new or extended restrictions?  I think not, restrictions were put in place for other reasons.  If mortality and hospitalisations are not increasing in a time when infections are at a all time high, then it's time to start relaxing restrictions.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

I doubt that very much. I don´t think it is even clear which percentage of infections leads to it. It is known though that even very mild courses of disease may lead to long covid at a later stage, and that vaccinations are reducing the risk.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I told her that we can do everything in Germany and that I don't mind wearing a mask (geez, isn't everyone used to it by now) and that I prefer to dine with people who I know are 3 G. 

So we'll just go somewhere in Germany.

I'm certainly not used to wearing a heavy FFP2 mask.  It's not natural. And the longer people wear them the more they will normalise their use. Wearing them in a restaurant is pure theatre if everyone has them off when they're sitting.  

At some point we have to get back to normality and stop being afraid. 

On 10/03/2022, 18:53:21, keith2011 said:

Where?  I am on my docs waiting list but it is now overdue!

Pep in Neuperlach has a impf place. 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I'm certainly not used to wearing a heavy FFP2 mask.

Wussy,

I just weighed mine - 5 grams.

23 hours ago, Mr.Bear said:

Enjoy.

photo_2022-03-10_06-24-25.jpg

On 3/6/2022, 11:49:03, Mr.Bear said:

No idea.

I have never said/claimed such things.

I did reposted what real experts claim.

But i suppose that you cannot make the difference anymore.

Thanks, Mr. HIV. Why were you in denial in your previous posts then?

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

I'm certainly not used to wearing a heavy FFP2 mask.  It's not natural.

Absolutely this I agree with 100%...it's not natural...if we were meant to wear masks we woulda been born with them! We were born with a nose and mouth to eat and breathe. These FFP2 thingys make me feel very light-headed after wearing them for longer than 15 mins and the thick material from which they are made restricts the normal breathing in and out process with which we were born. I can't stand the bloody things.And if you wear specs like I do, then this mask wearing gimmick becomes more of a pain in the ass.