3G in Restaurants?

3,770 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

There are things which can be postponed until the end of the war. I have no problem if Albert Bourla is jailed in 2025 for corrupting officials in many countries. Whoever breaks the law, goes to jail.

Keep up, nobody from Big Pharma goes to jail, no matter what they do wrong. Not even the Sacklers of OxyContin fame.

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

But one must decide what has priority: survival of the whole people, or the Rechtsstaat.

Hmmm, a bit dramatic. You think the survival of the human race depends on everyone taking these Covid vacines?

7 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

You keep denying there is a worldwide pandemic and a killer virus...

I don't remember denying there is a worldwide pandemic nor that there is a virus that can kill... can you remind me where I said that?

9 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

...which can mutate to something deadly for all

If it mutates into something deadly for all, the chances of the current vaccine (which can't even stop infection from Omicron, the mildest variant so far) protecting you are negligible.

14 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

You are just questioning the sanity of all world authorities for one purpose. You tell me which one.

I think there were definitely conflicts of interest in the processes that have lead us to this point but also a lot of people had high hopes that this was the right way to go.
After going down a certain road for so long, it's very difficult for governments (and certain posters) to turn around and admit they were wrong so it's just easier to carry on (line up for your 4th shot, then the Omicron shot), hoping that it ends up being the right road after all.

I've taken the time to reply to you... let's try to keep it civil, eh?

6 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I hear some rather appalling things spoken and sung in English on the street here by non-native speakers.  I am convinced many people have no idea what they are saying and  if they did they would be quite embarrassed.

Or what they put on their T-shirts...

On a humorous note: I’m the lone native English speaker in a 50+ pop choir and am often asked for precise translations of vernacular AE and poetic phrases in our song lyrics.  Always, always, has to do with sex.  😂  

Well, this has a tradition going back to the middle ages.  Example of English folk-rock:

I saw this group as a student back in the early 1970s & again several times 2004 to 2011.  Still going after 50 years...

32 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Whoever breaks the law, goes to jail.

Wish that were true, cuz then 🤡 would be sittin‘ in the pokey.  Meanwhile, hope springs eternal.  😊

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Point of (very important lol) order: 

The "soft Irish fuck" is "feck".

Fack is how my boy pronounces fuck because he learned it from his schoolmates and they say fuck like an cockney, eg "fack off mate".

He still thinks "bucket" is an expletive to roar when you hit your thumb with a hammer. I have never corrected him on what I actually said ;-)

That's because Germans cannot pronounce "u" such as in cup, much etc.  That sound doesn't exist in German. That's why the word "love" is pronounced "lav". 

I'm from an older generation and can't remember the word fuck ever being used when I was young. Not even in the army during all the 21 years of marriage to a British soldier. It was usually bloody this, bloody that. No idea when fuck became popular as a swear word. 

Evening, Bramble❤️

I'm also of the older generation and I remember when the f-word was first used on a live telly programme in Britain by the Irish comedian Dave Allen!😂

Hilarious story but best not mentioned on a restaurant thread!😂 

More to do with your last day at work after 40 years at the same place...

11 minutes ago, john g. said:

Evening, Bramble❤️

I'm also of the older generation and I remember when the f-word was first used on a live telly programme in Britain by the Irish comedian Dave Allen!😂

Hilarious story but best not mentioned on a restaurant thread!😂

I remember Dave Allen, but he must have used the f-word on telly when we were stationed in Germany. 

Ah, just found an article about the incidence: 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/mar/12/guardianobituaries.artsobituaries

...and the BBC apologised when, in 1990, he used the word "fuck" in the punchline to a joke - an incident which provoked questions in the Commons.

I was divorced by then and living in Germany. 

Getting close to forcing me to tell his joke, bramble😂

My background: Dad never swore. In fact, he hardly ever spoke. Mum: Yorkshire, swore like a trooper ( as they used to say )...both basically worked for decades at the same places  and the Dave Allen joke struck a chord with me at some stage. 

And mum's final day at work and the presentation by the Big Bosses for her as the best tea lady ever beats even Dave Allen's story! Because it really happened!!)..

The joke is in the article I linked to. Pretty harmless by today's standards. But I'm sure I would have gasped in horror had I actually seen and heard it on TV in those days. It wasn't used in Germany then, either. Not even the German equivalent.

He mentions the hierarchy of life in your link, bramble , as something that always bothered him. Can identify with him. A personal bugbear of mine - abuse of power. Whether by a nun ( as he points out ) or by neighbours, family, co-workers, bosses , animal haters , older versus younger... that's where I stand philosophically. Mods on forums?😂

Currently enjoying no sign of everyone and most people on here are doing just fine!😂

11 minutes ago, john g. said:

He mentions the hierarchy of life in your link, bramble , as something that always bothered him. Can identify with him. A personal bugbear of mine - abuse of power. Whether by a nun ( as he points out ) or by neighbours, family, co-workers, bosses , animal haters , older versus younger... that's where I stand philosophically. Mods on forums?😂

Currently enjoying no sign of everyone and most people on here are doing just fine!😂

I think I'll google his shows for a late night chuckle. :)

Deflection! You want to know about my mum's last day at work as the tea lady, right?😂

43 minutes ago, john g. said:

Worse!!

Hard to believe, but if you're still awake go ahead. 

Still awake! Barely!

Ok, my mum was the tea lady for many years at Ford's in Dagenham in Essex. She swore a lot.

Now, she was the trolley lady for the upper management- Brits, Germans, Americans. She wandered around with cheese rolls, ham rolls etc.

They gladly bought off her.

But she had her sales spiel, which was " cheese rolls, ham rolls, arseholes."😂

They loved her cheek.

One day it was the end of her job there. Retirement.

Now, I saw the video thingy at some stage when I was back in England and visiting. 

They stopped production for an hour or so. And I am talking about a car company.

And my mum went onto some stage or whatever and bla bla.

And they presented her with a plaque with a trolley made of silver and with images of cheese rolls, ham rolls and arseholes.😂

And she hung it on her wall for years till she died.

Yeah, my bloody mum.

7 hours ago, bramble said:

I'm from an older generation and can't remember the word fuck ever being used when I was young.

The linguistic equivalent of that is in German the word "geil". Being linguistically sensitive, it makes my blood curdle every time I hear it. As a lot of other things are (wrong cases used, comparisons using "wie" instead of "als", especially when I have to hear it from journalists in public broadcasts or articles. And don´t get me started on gendering). But that should probably go to the venting thread in a forum for native German speakers.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

The linguistic equivalent of that is in German the word "geil".

Geil = randy. The German equivalent of the f-word ist also an f-word such as in f*** dich. Never heard it used here in my younger days. 

2 hours ago, jeba said:

As a lot of other things are (wrong cases used, comparisons using "wie" instead of "als", especially when I have to hear it from journalists in public broadcasts or articles.

I agree. You forgot to mention "ebend" instead of "eben". It makes my skin crawl. 

2 hours ago, bramble said:

Geil = randy. The German equivalent of the f-word ist also an f-word such as in f*** dich. Never heard it used here in my younger days. 

I agree. You forgot to mention "ebend" instead of "eben". It makes my skin crawl. 

read the book "der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod" - if you like German grammar, or the lack thereof

Wikipedia is very entertaining too - especially the German version:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck

12 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Wish that were true, cuz then 🤡 would be sittin‘ in the pokey.  Meanwhile, hope springs eternal.  😊

Well, technically he did not break the law. 

What is claimed here is that an ineffective vaccine was pushed to the market, clinical trials faked. So it is claimed that the US is basically a banana republic since all the chains from university researchers to FDA officials, police, judges, everything is corrupt. 

That may be the case, but this a forum for Germany. Which is 10th least corrupt country in the world:

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2021

Denmark (80% vaccinated), New Zealand (77% fully vaccinated), and Finland (74%) share first place as the least corrupt countries in the world. 

I rest my case. 

13 hours ago, Eric7 said:

After going down a certain road for so long, it's very difficult for governments (and certain posters) to turn around and admit they were wrong so it's just easier to carry on (line up for your 4th shot, then the Omicron shot), hoping that it ends up being the right road after all.

Did you move to Russia with your wife?

During the pandemic, there was government change in the USA, Germany, and Israel. In Israel, we actually had elections every half a year due to the crazy prime minister who ruined coalitions. Now we have a new government without him. And there is a main change of the policy: no lockdowns despite Omicron, no fines to hairdressers. Finally sane government. 

The old prime minister now is attacking the green pass system (3G) which he actually introduced. So, no, people are not silenced outside of Russia.