Neighbour is threatening with video recording us

29 posts in this topic

We live in a quiet street of rowhouses. Since some months there is a wohnwagen parked daily in front of our house and only moved 2 or 3 times.  This situation has become a nuisance for us and our surrounding neighbours as we use the car daily for work, bring kids in and out, and also for our elder neighbours to unload their groceries.

Today I met the owner of the wohnwagen and I very politely asked him if he could park the vehicle a bit further away, as there is plenty of space around the corner where no one is living. He immediately started with an already pre-memorized argumentation about his rights and his taxes being paid. I just told him, look, I am asking you friendly as a favor to park it somewhere else, specially because tomorrow I have a big expedition delivery coming. He only accepted to move the vehicle 2 meters back but refused to move it away.

I understand that this is his full right, but relationships between citizens can also be friendly and not only fitting into a legal framework. Still he declined so I accepted, disappointed of his lack of cooperation.

Hours later he came back again by our house, and my wife opened the door for him. He started complaining again that he is parking with his full right. Also mentioned that his vehicle had already been vandalized before and the police are already notified.

What bothers me, though, is the following:

He told my wife that he is also video monitoring the vehicle and its surroundings itself. Apparently he lives around the corner in one of the tall apartment buildings. But we don't know if he is doing some kind of video recording from his apartment window or from within his vehicle with a dashcam.

This is now upsetting me, because in any case, any recording would go through our front yard, possibly also recording the inside of our kitchen (which has a window to the street). How can this be legal? Is there anything I can do about it?

I would also appreciate other tips on how to deal with this unfriendly citizens that even though they're in their full right they do not help to create a good living environment for all.

Thank you

He is not allowed to point a security camera at your house, garden or even at a public street, see here: https://www.alarm.de/faq/ratgeber/rechtslage-ueberwachungskamera-wann-ist-videoueberwachung-erlaubt.html under the section "Ist eine Überwachungskamera am Haus erlaubt?"

You can report him to the police saying that he told you he is doing it.  They might go and talk to him and tell him that it is illegal.

I would guess he is bullshitting to try an avoid someone vandalising his vehicle again.  People get really shitty about someone parking completely legally outside their house.  As recently posted by another guy whose car got vandalised and the police were not interested.  If it really is a problem for the OP's children to walk a few metres to get in the car maybe you can get a special parkplace, available for the disabled.

Dunno what the law has to say in Germany but in France you cannot park such a vehicle for more than one night in the same spot if you are on the street, or come to that, even in specially designated spaces for campers and caravans, so anywhere in public that is not an actual campsite.

And they do check.

I would first make sure that he actually is within his rights.

34 minutes ago, optimista said:

Dunno what the law has to say in Germany but in France you cannot park such a vehicle for more than one night in the same spot if you are on the street, or come to that, even in specially designated spaces for campers and caravans, so anywhere in public that is not an actual campsite.

And they do check.

I would first make sure that he actually is within his rights.

You can here.  As long taxed usw. Also does he mean Wohnmobile or Wohnwagen?  Is he really heaving it around several times a week if it is a Wohnwagen?  I mean, it is a good form of exercise if done often enought.

This might be useful information for the OP: https://smartercamping.de/wohnwagen-gespann-parken/

1. In principle, caravans and caravans with trailers may be parked anywhere in Germany where there is no explicit prohibition. The Road Traffic Act only contains regulations on where parking is prohibited. 

2. a caravan without a towing vehicle may not be parked in the same place in the public traffic area for longer than two weeks according to § 12 para. 3b StVO. This period does not apply to parking areas marked accordingly.

3. After 14 days, a caravan without towing vehicle that has been parked on public roads or parking areas without interruption must be moved. Failure to do so may result in a fine of 20 euros for an administrative offence.

4. the new two-week period does not begin until the caravan owner has cleared the parking space for other road users. Driving around the block is sufficient according to the ADAC. The only decisive factor is unhitching and parking again. The police therefore record the valve position of parked trailers and determine whether the owner has moved the caravan or not.

5 If, on the other hand, the caravan is coupled to the towing vehicle, such a combination may be parked on public roads and paths for an unlimited period of time. A parked Wohnmobil may also be parked on the side of the road for an unlimited period of time.

And point 12 says: 

In the spirit of mutual consideration according to § 1 StVO, no caravan should be parked in such a way that others are endangered, obstructed or inconvenienced. Even if parking is permitted in the immediate vicinity of the school, a caravan parked in such a way can obstruct the school children's view of traffic when crossing the road.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Good Bramble, good. Definitely start banging on about paragraph 12. And if that fails to penetrate, direct action à la Keith. Sorry to say, that may be the only form of communication the owner understands - in the same way that small children respond better to physical gestures than words. Make sure the hoodie is black and wait for a cloudy night. Hope the van is not under a street lamp.

Black stocking (just the one) in my day, mate.

Incidentally, vaseline or oil or pig dripping on the windscreen would be :ph34r: quicker. Never did it myself, just transmitting ancient wisdom...

True but might be considered vandalism whereas letting the air out of the tyres as long as you don't keep the valve caps is most like just mischievous. Also seems like even if the owner took a video that would be illegal according to an earlier post.

Yes, it s not a path one would wish to embark upon. I am sure the owner will kindly oblige without extreme measures being necessary.

On 10/20/2021, 2:58:51, kipcurry said:

Since some months there is a wohnwagen parked daily in front of our house

A Wohnwagen is what you Brits call a caravan and we Amis call a camping or travel trailer. I haven't seen any mention of a van. A Wohnmobile is what we call a motorhome.

Seems to be some confusion.

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

A Wohnwagen is what you Brits call a caravan and we Amis call a camping or travel trailer. I haven't seen any mention of a van. A Wohnmobile is what we call a motorhome.

Wohnwagen would be called a camper van in the UK, because it includes the drive train, motor etc

A caravan in the UK, is just the sleeping/toliet /cooker area, ie without the drive train, motor etc, you normal pull the caravan behind your car.

so many definitions :wub:

40 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think it's probably a campervan / motorhome because OP refers to it as a vehicle and wonders if he's using a dashcam as a surveilance camera.

Maybe OP could clear this up for us :)

I think it's a vehicle and not a trailer, as it were, just from reading the posts.

Such a pain when someone parks right outside your property.

We get it happening a lot, and although we have a great long fence line and really don't care, people insist on parking right near the gate, which we reverse into on the side of a hill at a weird angle, and that is just annoying and unnecessary. 

Have a similar problem, just from the other side. I park my bike generally in front of the property, nobody has an issue because there is a load of space and nobody needs to look for long for a parking space.

New Neighbor just moved into the house next door:

"Can I ask you to park your bike somewhere else?"

"Why?"

"Because it´s loud and dirty and I don´t like motorbikes!

"Uhhhh! Sorry dude, these are not private parking spaces."

"I ASKED POLITELY!!" Throws a temper tantrum.

"Fornicate off dude!"

Since then stony silence and passive aggro.