Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Energy price increase

10 posts in this topic

We knew that prices were increasing though didn’t think it would be so much. Just had notification of electricity tariff…64% increase! I wanted to check the supplier‘s other tariffs though on their website, it states that they currently don’t offer gas and electricity tariffs. Telephone lines also constantly engaged.

‚Aufgrund der aktuellen Entwicklung an den Energiemärkten bieten wir leider keine Gas- und Stromtarife an‘.

I’d read that in the UK, several energy companies have ceased trading.  Just out of interest, what would happen if that were the case here? Does supply revert back to the main supplier on an emergency tariff? 

I'd expect that the main supplier (Grundversorgung) would automatically feed you the gas or electricity at their current prices. That's the default case as I know it when you move into a new place anyway. The next winter months are going to be curious. Suddenly, I'm very happy to have a Kacheloffen and an abundant supply of wood stored, I'm not 100% sure about our gas heating system nowadays.. It's very annoying when reality once in a while meets my dystopia paranoias.

Some small cheap gas/Strom providers have already gone here in the last few weeks.  And the local supplier steps in if you have not found another provider.

I just read that some suppliers, EON etc have stopped taking new customers.  I’ve looked at some of the comparison websites and there aren’t much better prices. Our new kWh price is 40,55c though the annual charge remains at 65€. Other suppliers have lower kWh prices though much higher annual charge. Probably best to stick to current supplier I guess. What I couldn’t figure out was how long the new price is fixed for, if at all? 

Are you in Munich or outskirts? What about SWM? They've been our Strom supplier for many years and I've always managed to talk productively with them. Much better than with EON. According to the contract I'm [still] paying approx. 27 c/kwh. 

17 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

Are you in Munich or outskirts? What about SWM? They've been our Strom supplier for many years and I've always managed to talk productively with them. Much better than with EON. According to the contract I'm [still] paying approx. 27 c/kwh. 

We’re near to Frankfurt. We’ve been with the supplier for years and always found them to be cheapest as we were in an old tariff. This is just the normal annual price review. Not sure if many/any suppliers are offering fixed rates. 

Just managed to get through to our supplier. The lady said she’d usually be able to offer a better tariff though at the moment, they can’t offer anything.  Just the electricity increase would be nearly 1000€  a year more. She said the gas price will increase soon too by about the same percentage. Definitely time to switch!

Just in case this helps anyone else…I found a much better price for electricity from Entega who are our gas main supplier. Their online tariff options weren’t all too good though phoning them got a much better offer. Offers change daily. 

Arbeitspreis: 26,60 Cent/kWh
Grundpreis: 120,00 Euro/Jahr
Laufzeit: 12 Monate mit Preisgarantie *
Sie erhalten eine Neukundenprämie über 126,05 Euro netto, 150,00 Euro brutto, ab einem Mindestverbrauch von 1.500 kWh/Jahr **.

Prices include Mwst (VAT). There don’t appear to be any hidden catches. 

Our electricity contract runs until June 2022 though there is a special cancellation clause enabling cancellation due to price adjustment during the contractual term. I believe this applies to all energy supply contracts. Normally, a new supplier can deal with the cancellation and transfer though in this case, we had to write a cancellation ourselves to the current supplier stating…..Sonderkündigungs recht etc. 

I noticed on Verivox or check24 (can’t remember which) that they advise not to take 24 month contracts with particularly high new customer bonuses.  I’ve heard it may be best to select bigger energy supply companies as some smaller suppliers have ceased trading. In such a case, supply would revert to the main supplier though likely at a high ‘emergency price’ until an alternative contract can be found.