Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

English-speaking midwives

39 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have unsuccessfully searched for a midwife for the past months. 
I know it‘s a big shortage out there, but I appreciate any tips or recommendations. 

I am due mid-end March, and live in Schwabing (Luitpoldpark).

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Maria

I am giving birth in a hospital, of course. The mid-wife is for after you are released to go home (part of the German health system and covered by the insurance) - that is if you are lucky to find one :)

Best,

Maria

True, MariaStan! One of the reasons it is difficult to find such a person is the liability insurance..a friend of mine's girlfriend gave up her job for that reason.The premiums were just too expensive.

Hi Maria,

I hope the story of how I found my midwife gives you some hope. I live in NRW and tried for months to find a midwife would would like to help me after I gave birth---I searched like you first for english speakers and then tried to find anyone---no luck. It seems that many midwives are booked years ahead of schedule and it's more about who you know and connections.

My pregnancy was fine until the last month or so. Then I began having blood pressure issues and needed to go to the hospital twice. I got to know staff in the natal care unit, the doctors, nurses and midwives. Of course I was also very social and kind :)  By the time my daughter's induction came around I was known as the 'American' and after my daughter was born one of the hospital midwives said she knew someone who worked as midwife and a fluent english speaker due to an Irish ex-husband (haha.) The rest is history we contacted her a day after coming home from the hospital.  I am thankful that we had the midwife too because as it turned out I was very anaemic and never able to produce enough breast milk.

Don't give up even after you give birth ask around :)

13 hours ago, john g. said:

True, MariaStan! One of the reasons it is difficult to find such a person is the liability insurance..a friend of mine's girlfriend gave up her job for that reason.The premiums were just too expensive.

That is exactly what  the media reported a few years ago. It seems quite a few midwives in Germany changed professions then.

Just want to say, that if all goes well - is it your first? - a midwife may be a bit superfluous... or, put another way, it may not be the end of the world if you find nobody.

Obviously if it is your first, and depending on your previous experience, it would be reassuring to know there is someone on your case.

Having said that, I would like to point out that some anxiety can be caused by all the Problem Stories and Not Knowing What It Will Be Like When The Baby Is Here. When it all goes smoothly, there is this Deafening Silence. So the perspective around peri-natal stuff is somewhat squewed, I think.

It is possible to come through the delivery okay and have no breastfeeding problems. Although I had only one kiddo and it was a surprise Caesarian, I would still put myself in that category. The midwife came twice - briefly - asked if I was okay  (yep, as okay as you can be post-op with a new baby) and and did I have any questions (nope) and left me to it... I think we both felt her visits were, well, a bit superfluous. Yes, really.

Just want to give you this info to give you a different perspective in the hope that you do not panic unnecessarily in advance, should you not find a midwife... you will know afterwards if you need medical attention and womanly advice, in which case your gyno and GP will be there.

Some ideas - which you might have already done but it is worth a try:

• Contact everyone on the list most hospitals supply. If they only give out a phone number, call. Most people send emails and a lot of midwives have so many inquiries, they don't necessarily answer mail. 
  • If someone says no, ask if they can recommend anyone 
  • Sign up for a Geburtsvorbereitungskurs at a hospital. This will be done by a midwife who might have recommendations.
  • When you do a tour of the delivery unit at the hospital, this is often done by midwives. Ask for a recommendation. 
  • Ask your OB/GYN for a recommendations.  
  • Ask your health insurance for recommendations. 

There are also online search engines. Some have settings where you can add a language. Our midwife wasn't on any list, we found her by asking one of the ones that didn't have time and she recommended a colleague who was perfect. 

Hebammensuche.de

Ammely - Deine Hebammensuchmaschine  

and for Bavaria:  SEO-Seitentitel - Bayerischer Hebammen Landesverband e.V. (bhlv.de)  

1 hour ago, MariaStan said:

Thank you Maxie and Optimista!

You're welcome and good luck! 

It is such a special time and the help of a midwife is invaluable. Aside from the health checks, the tips on feeding, care and general living with a demanding little room mate are priceless. 

BUT: Don't be afraid to say no to a midwife you do not feel comfortable with. I came across a number of ladies whose ideas were so completely removed from mine with regards to feeding (BREASTFEEDING ONLY!elf11 MOTHER'S MILK IS BEST! - There are any number of reasons someone might not be able to or want to breastfeed and it is always the choice of the mother. Pressure isn't gonna help.), vaccinations, homoepathy vs. medicine etc. that it would not have been a good idea to let such a person into my life at such a vulnerable time when everything to do and decide is going to make you feel insecure anyway (at least with the first child). 

9 hours ago, maxie said:

BUT: Don't be afraid to say no to a midwife you do not feel comfortable with. I came across a number of ladies whose ideas were so completely removed from mine with regards to feeding (BREASTFEEDING ONLY!elf11 MOTHER'S MILK IS BEST! - There are any number of reasons someone might not be able to or want to breastfeed and it is always the choice of the mother. Pressure isn't gonna help.), vaccinations, homoepathy vs. medicine etc. that it would not have been a good idea to let such a person into my life at such a vulnerable time when everything to do and decide is going to make you feel insecure anyway (at least with the first child). 

Which reminds me of a thread on Toytown where a midwife was described treating mastitis (a painful and dangerous inflammation of the breast) with... cabbage leaves.

That is so 18th century.
Do avoid the ones that deny modern medicine. (Mind you, there are many helpful old fashioned remedies and procedures, but a good midwife knows when a new mother needs to go to a hospital.)

Forty-three years ago when I had Fuenfling, the nurses in the Frauenklinik recommended cool showers and cold compresses to stop milk production. I imagine cabbage leaves had the same effect. 
'In der Not frisst der Teufel Fliege.' - so much more picturesque than the prosaic, 'Necessity is the mother of invention.'

48 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Forty-three years ago when I had Fuenfling, the nurses in the Frauenklinik recommended cool showers and cold compresses to stop milk production. I imagine cabbage leaves had the same effect. 
'In der Not frisst der Teufel Fliege.' - so much more picturesque than the prosaic, 'Necessity is the mother of invention.'

A woman I know who had her youngest 7 yrs. ago said that the nurses came in and asked who wants to breastfeed and who doesn't and those who said they didn't were given medication so no cold showers anymore.

They did have medications to stop lactation, but this was in deepest Sued-Ost Bayern and I guess the Klinik preferred to use inexpensive techniques that were tried and true. 

After I had my youngest daughter, now 27, I developed mastitis. The midwife smeared some quark on a cloth and wrapped it around the affected breast.  To this day I can still feel the relief that gave me and by the next morning, everything was fine.  I’m all for modern medicine, but sometimes, these old remedies work so well too.

11 hours ago, Metall said:

Which reminds me of a thread on Toytown where a midwife was described treating mastitis (a painful and dangerous inflammation of the breast) with... cabbage leaves.

I've heard from people that it does work. Same as Quark. If someone wants to try it first instead of taking antibiotics while breastfeeding, why not? 

BUT: If it doesn't work (or someone doesn't want to try), if it's too painful and of course the woman develops a fever, it's definitely time for the doc.