Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bathroom refurbishing (DIY)

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a property in Berlin. It is all ok, however the bathroom needs improvement. 

It is not in very bad conditions, but really not to my liking.

Although I work in IT, I have some experience in plumbing and refurbishing. I worked for some years in home renovations while I was younger.

So I considered doing it alone. Especially after receiving a couple of startling bids from some remodeling firms. A big no thank you there!!

I have mainly two questions:

Does anybody know if I need to ask a permission to initiate extensive refurbishing inside my house? Considering that in Germany

not a leaf from a tree falls without permission, I would assume that yes, but I don't know what and where. 

How to deal with the rubble? out of experience I will have to deal with something in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 cubic meters of material (broken tiles, old plumbing, old bathtub, etc.).
Can I bring them myself to the landfill? anyone knows where? I know there are companies renting containers and dealing with the 

disposal. I have space enough in the garden to accommodate one. But where to find them?

Thank you for your help!

in Dresden I have paid 50 EUR to have an Entsorgungsbetrieb deliver a 2 cubic meter container and later take it away, then paid them another 25 EUR per cubic meter for "Bauschutt - sauber" that I put in the container, plus UmSt.   

Thank you for the info. I think it is a very acceptable price and a viable solution. Particularly putting this cost in perspective with the crazy and übermäßig bids!

Anybody knows if the refurbishing itself, done by me requires any prior approval?