Navigating visas for US citizen

4 posts in this topic

Hi- I recently returned to Germany (worked in Berlin a few years ago, now retired) for a 2 month stay. I am a US citizen. I flew into Frankfurt but went to a Belgium for a month and then back to Germany until my 90 days were up. Of course no one stamped my passport while I crossed the Germany-Belgium border. After passport control checked my visa on the way out, he asked if I knew about the allowance where a US. citizen leaves Germany before the 90 days is up (he said to Denmark) and comes back, then the 90 day countdown is restarted. I have heard of this, but can’t find confirmation on the internet. I am also wondering how I would be sure to get my passport stamped? The reason I am interested in this is I am spending time with an eighty year old friend who needs some minor assistance around the house and is planning cataract surgery, and I would rather not be locked into the 90-in 90-out deal, TIA

What you were told is not entirely correct. Non-EU citizens are allowed to stay in Germany for 90 days, but they must then leave for 90 days, before returning for another 90-day stint. There is no "re-starting the 90-day countdown" if you leave the country for a day or a week. 

To get your passport stamped, ask at immigration when you go through the line. 

10 minutes ago, the.frollein said:

What you were told is not entirely correct. Non-EU citizens are allowed to stay in Germany for 90 days, but they must then leave for 90 days, before returning for another 90-day stint. There is no "re-starting the 90-day countdown" if you leave the country for a day or a week. 

To get your passport stamped, ask at immigration when you go through the line. 

But they need to leave the Schengen region?  Not just Germany?  The 90 days is for the whole of the Schengen region?  For a US citizen travelling here on a Schengen Visa?  Extension to Schengen Visas are possible in some limited cases, including humanitarian reasons. 

On 18.10.2021, 14:01:11, snowingagain said:

But they need to leave the Schengen region?  Not just Germany?  The 90 days is for the whole of the Schengen region?  For a US citizen travelling here on a Schengen Visa?  Extension to Schengen Visas are possible in some limited cases, including humanitarian reasons. 

Sorry, I'm not on TT as much as I used to be - just saw this. SnowingAgain is of course right, and I should have been more precise: Non-EU citizens must leave Germany and the entire Schengen zone for 90 days, before being legally allowed to return.

Source: German Ministry of Foreign Affairs