Psychologisches Gutachten - phychological assessment

10 posts in this topic

Looking for some clarity over Psychologische Gutachten that is court ordered. My partner's mom, who was widowed a few years ago and lives in a small town, has been court ordered to have a psychological review. She is in her late 60s and not originally from Germany and doesn't speak German that well but well enough to get by. But this whole issue seems to steam more from a dispute from the neighbors. There's been increasing tension from the neighbors about minor disputes like the neighbor installing a video camera in their backyard that pointed into hers or they talk too loud when they are in their garden. Apparently, the neighbor has gotten angry enough he threatened to smash her car up and yelled at her that she is sick etc. She's said that she reported it all to the police in writing. So we think it was this neighbor that may have made some sort of complaint that she is psychologically unwell. Overall she is fine, she comes off a little quirky do to her background and not always saying things the right way. But she maintains herself and the house and gardens and is okay apart from picking fights with the neighbor. However that seems to be a very German thing to do so I don't see the reason behind the court order. It is also not only German, but happens all the time all over the world. The main problem is that my partner and I are stuck in "Fortress Australia" while he is completing his PhD. We literally aren't allowed to leave and finding a flight is highly unlikely. She doesn't have any other family in Germany either. I am thinking of asking my one of my aunts or uncles to help but I don't think they would be able to do much. And we just found this all out tonight, because in typical mom fashion, she doesn't like to worry us. And today the psychologist came to her door for the review. She hired a lawyer and the lawyer told her not to answer but the psychologist still threatened to call the cops on her. So this whole situation is very stressful for us right now. We are feeling pretty angry asking how can this just happen and how can someone just make these claims and the court authorizes this. Can someone just claim that someone else is "crazy" without actual evidence other than someones statement? Can you find out who made this claim? If a person must see a psychologist, can they demand an interpreter in their native language? Can we find out on what grounds the claim is made a sue for emotional damages and monetary damages from having to defend such accusations by hiring a lawyer? And if a psychologist comes over and sees how "emotional" someone is, will that already be counted against them? It all seems like really messed up emotional abuse using the system against someone just because they don't like them. Any advise would be appreciated. Just feeling totally helpless being so far away.

9 minutes ago, hoostasauce said:

She hired a lawyer and the lawyer told her not to answer

This.

And stop sniping at the neighbors.

Sorry for the whole situation and that you are so far away.

I'm sure there is a way to report people as being unwell and have the system react and there should be.  If you think about it, if a person actually is unwell and isn't taking care of herself and has noone else to look after her, the system should come in and try to help.  For example by first sending a psychologist to verify whether the complaints are actually true or baseless and if true, to find a solution for the problem such as home care, guardian or whatever.  Surely the system is not perfect and it can happen that a vindictive person reports someone for no reason.

This is similar to if somebody reported that they believe their neighbour is beating their kids.  I think most of us would want people to be able to report that without fear of retribution as well as that most of us would want somebody to go there and verify that everything is ok or react if it isn't.

In this situation, listen to the lawyer.  Ask the lawyer if you can do anything to help from where you are.  Maybe you can write a statement to the court about it.

So is there any support, such as requesting the check be done in your first language? When I was in hospital in Australia after an accident, they asked me if I needed a translator (English is my first language so it was funny). Do they not do that for people in Germany? She's live in Germany over 30 years, but I think she has a hard time understanding complex issues in German. Perhaps a language barrier would be something that isn't taken into account by a psychologist.

The other situations you mentioned are entirely different, you can't compare what is happening here with someone abusing their child or domestic violence. In fact, I would be really concerned that an abusive partner could just make claims against their victim about having psychological issues and need the abuser as a carer as a way to exert control over their victim. Or prove to their victim that they can never actually leave the abuse.

So anyone can just make a claim and a psychologist is sent? There is no substantiation first? The problem with this is that having white coats show up at your front door to question your mental competency would be very upsetting on its own. And then a situation is created where someone might be affected by the circumstances where they aren't in their normal mental state. Specifically, this type of scenario can cause a person situational depression or situational based mental stress and it seems that this could become a self-fulfilling prophecy if the psychologist doesn't recognize it isn't clinical. And no, I won't trust a court ordered psychologist to tell the difference, because they are already biased, meaning they are sent for a reason. So, can someone reject a court ordered psychologist and use one of their own choosing to eliminate potential biased?

What can someone do to prevent this from happening? Would a restraining order against the accuser prevent unsubstantiated claims from moving forward? And again is there no penalty for someone making claims that have a personal agenda beyond helping someone?

A letter from her doctor or her going to a psychologist of her choice on her own time might help.  A letter to the court explaining bad blood with the neighbours might help.  What does the lawyer say?

Are you sure you´ve been told the whole story? It seems questionable to me that she was never contacted and given a chance to tell her side of the story before a court ordered a psychological assessment.

There are always two sides to a story. Maybe your partner should get in touch with his mom's lawyer to find out what is really happening. Maybe the lawyer could be present during the questioning and maybe he could also determine that an interpreter be present too. 

Does she have friends living nearby who could support and advise her? How small is the town where she lives? (No need to name it).

6 hours ago, hoostasauce said:

So anyone can just make a claim and a psychologist is sent? There is no substantiation first? The problem with this is that having white coats show up at your front door to question your mental competency would be very upsetting on its own. And then a situation is created where someone might be affected by the circumstances where they aren't in their normal mental state.

Are you looking for actual answers or just trying to vent? Although your arguments have some merits, you are completely ignoring the fact that she didn't inform you when it started, this process started sometime ago, and it wasn't handled as soon as it started. It generally takes time for things to happen and it is much easier to head the entire process of at the beginning.  

She needs someone on the ground who speaks her language and understands the situation, not your moral outrage. 

Fair enough... but it is highly distressing... maybe you have never been there but i once found myself summoned to the jugendamt after the shite neighbours reported us out of spite and our kid was put on an endangered list. That gets the adrenaline running no matter how innocent you are because you have no choice but to be on the defensive and pray the jobsworth in front of you sees straight. There are no guarantees of that and things can go tits up.  

I ansolutely get the outrage.