Water & sewage tariff much more expensive than previous year

4 posts in this topic

Good evening,

I received my annual utilities bill for 2020 recently, and was surprised to find a marked increase in the tariff rates for water & sewage as compared to the tariff rates for both in the 2019 bill.

I know that our water supplier has a tariff with a base rate (for both water & sewage) that increases with higher consumption and larger meter size, but the overall consumption of the building remained the same (it actually doubled, but that's because the building opened in Q2 2019, and wasn't fully occupied until Q3 2019, so the less consumption in 2019 was due to that).

It looks like either the 2019 tariff rates or the 2020 tariff rates are wrong, unless the above mentioned change of consumption (which is not really a change if you consider the history of the building as I mentioned above) can really influence such a big change in the tariff rates.

I just want to check with you in case I misunderstood anything in the bill.

Any insights would be highly appreciated!

2019 bill (relevant section)

2020 bill (relevant section)

Just wondering how they come to think you used so much water compared to 2019 - did somebody come and take a meter reading, or is it an estimate?

Okay, as for the price per unit, I guess you could check that online, but maybe making a phone call to the provider or even your landlord/lady would be the best solution.

11 hours ago, pac said:

It looks like either the 2019 tariff rates or the 2020 tariff rates are wrong, unless the above mentioned change of consumption (which is not really a change if you consider the history of the building as I mentioned above) can really influence such a big change in the tariff rates.

I just want to check with you in case I misunderstood anything in the bill.

The 2019 tariff of ~15 cents /m3 is unrealistic for Germany. It seems only Grundgebühr was charged in the water bill by the water company for the 2019 hence the lower per m3 price calculated for 2019.  The 2020 tariff is realistic but a bit on higher side. This amount probably also include the actual water costs water for 2019 making per m3 usage a bit high. If the total water cost of 2020 is divided  with total water usage of (2019 +2020), then the realistic water cost of 1.83 /m3 can be seen.

@robinson100 yes, meter readings are accurate.

I checked with the provider, and they say that their tariff rates were the same for both years.

@vivanco ah, the math works out for both water & sewage.

It's very odd though that they forgot to charge for consumption in 2019 and bundled that with 2020.

Perhaps, it's the apartment maintenance company that did this and not the provider.

Thanks for the help!