Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Last will and testament

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

last weekend talking with friends, Germans and non Germans but living here, we ended on this topic, last will and testament.

Searching here I found a couple of ideas, but I would like to collect tips and ideas on good practices...do you have any?

Not really tips and ideas, just a few comments: 

• It can be hideously complicated, so when in doubt, ask a lawyer. 
  • Take care of this at your earliest convenience and sort things out with family etc. soonest. Do not think they won't get into arguments about it afterwards. There is a nice comment someone once made: "Is your family still talking to one another or have you inherited yet?"
  • DO NOT assume anything about German inheritance law based on your country of origin. Depending on where you are from, the differences are huge! (e.g. in Germany, the heir is taxed, not the inheritance. So the tax-free amount accumulates depending on how many heirs there are. Or: It is almost impossible to disinherit children and spouses)  

Das Vorsorge-Set: Patientenverfügung, Testament, Betreuungsverfügung, Vorsorgevollmacht I Von Stiftung Warentest

Provides templates for the various neccessary aspect of hospitialisation, last wishes and the will. All in German. The Patientenverfügung and the others are important as even if married the Drs. will not neccessarly take note of what your spouse says.