Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dog sitter / doggy daycare search

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, my company doesn't allow pets in the office, and as we are both working full-time, we need to find a doggy daycare or dogwalker.

I've been searching for this mainly in English in the Ortenau-Kreis area [Offenburg, Kehl and all in between] but haven't found one that really helped out, and I'm not able to look into more local & personal advertorials: to this end, I was wondering what would be the best German search terms for these so I can re-Google or post an advert seeking one.

Also if anyone could guide me towards the "default" behavior and working processes towards this in Germany I'd greatly appreciate it: There are some cultural / regional / legal differences it seems when it comes to this as my friends' experiences in Western US is pretty different than, say, Spain.

Thanks for your help :)

Apologies for the spam I just found a similar topic in the first pg [blind...]. Moderators, you can delete this easily.

How can yoi have a dog if you both work full-time? You should find another famiy to take it who can look after it properly.

There have been many reports  like this. Either people adopted pets during the pandemic, while working from home and now have to find pet care as they are back in the office, or have to return to a shelter.  But, once you adopt a pet, it becomes part of the family- so good luck to OP in finding doggy care.

Ebay Kleinanzeigen is usually the best way to find dog carers.  Here’s a link to Offenburg plus 20km

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-tierbetreuung-training/offenburg/c133l9027r20

Search for Tierbetreuung. You can also place a free ad to search for carers.  To help with German, use deepl.com and you’ll get a very decent free translation. You could post here and I’m sure someone can check if the translation is good.  

Join a local Facebook community group and ask for recommendations.

Ask your vet and maybe other vets nearby. They will be aware of dog carers.  I personally think it’s kinder for your dog if you can take him/her to a dog care place for a whole day. We have a place near us and the dogs just love going there. 

google ‘hundetagesstätte offenburg’. Several kennels are listed….look at each to check if they offer day care.  This one does for example though check that dogs aren’t just kept in cages for most of the day.

http://tierhotel-offenburg.de/html/hundetagesstatte.html

Good luck. Awful to think of dogs being alone all day. 

11 hours ago, emkay said:

Good luck. Awful to think of dogs being alone all day. 

Absolutely. Being pack animals, they need company. I look after my daughter's dog daily while she's at work and take him for long walks. My own dog (14) used to come along, but he's too old for the long walks now (muscle weakness in his hindquarters due to old age), so I have to go with him separately in the nearby park.  

57 minutes ago, bramble said:

Absolutely. Being pack animals, they need company. I look after my daughter's dog daily while she's at work and take him for long walks. My own dog (14) used to come along, but he's too old for the long walks now (muscle weakness in his hindquarters due to old age), so I have to go with him separately in the nearby park.  

I don’t think that just a walk is enough for a home alone dog. My friend is a dog carer and used to be asked to just take dogs for a walk once a day. After a short time of doing this, it used to break her heart that she’d take a dog home after a walk and had to put it into a crate to spend the rest of the day alone and confined. I don’t understand the crate logic.  Now, my friend insists that dogs should come to her for half or a whole day. She usually has 2-4 dogs at any one time and they absolutely love each other’s company.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

I don’t think that just a walk is enough for a home alone dog. My friend is a dog carer and used to be asked to just take dogs for a walk once a day. After a short time of doing this, it used to break her heart that she’d take a dog home after a walk and had to put it into a crate to spend the rest of the day alone and confined. I don’t understand the crate logic.  Now, my friend insists that dogs should come to her for half or a whole day. She usually has 2-4 dogs at any one time and they absolutely love each other’s company.

Absolutely agree with this. My dog and my daughter's dog have been great friends the past 10 years in each other's company with me and the cats from Mondays to Fridays at my home. A neighbour and her dog usually walk with us.