CovPas app when travelling to the UK

42 posts in this topic

I'll be travelling to the UK 10th October - I have been very concerned that my vaccine status may be an issue as I am recovered + one shot AstraZeneca, both recorded in my ImfBuch. I also have certificates for both in my CovPas app - interestingly the single shot resulted in a certificate that states "1/1 Fully Vaccinated" - so my question is - do they consistently rely on the CovPas app to check vaccination status when entering the UK? If so will my "Fully Vaccinated" status in this app be enough even though according to the strict interpretation of current regs, I'm not UK-level vaccinated? Keen to avoid quarantine, but also keen to avoid being stopped from getting on the flight!

When I travelled to England 3 weeks ago there was no checks on arrival in the UK (Heathrow) other than the biometric passport machine. All covid related documents/apps and passenger locator forms were checked at the departure gate before I was allowed on the plane (Lufthansa). My guess is as long as you are leaving from a German airport your the certificates in your CovPass app should be fine but I would also recommend getting printouts to take with you, mobiles can be lost or stolen or even run out of power!

Frankly i would not ask these questions. I would just go and get a second jab. Actually i ended up doing that to get a covid pass because i had no proof of recovery from covid. Should not be this way but sometimes life is easier if you just take the pragmatic route. He s gonna get a booster one day. Might as well do it now.

For the record i went through 2 days of hell with both jabs.

13 minutes ago, optimista said:

Frankly i would not ask these questions. I would just go and get a second jab.

It is already too late for that it is only valid after 14 days!

25 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

When I travelled to England 3 weeks ago there was no checks on arrival in the UK (Heathrow) other than the biometric passport machine. All covid related documents/apps and passenger locator forms were checked at the departure gate before I was allowed on the plane (Lufthansa). My guess is as long as you are leaving from a German airport your the certificates in your CovPass app should be fine but I would also recommend getting printouts to take with you, mobiles can be lost or stolen or even run out of power!

Thanks for the reply - but I would assume (I know, I know...) that those checking before boarding must be checking the rules that apply at the destination? Otherwise what are they checking? I will be carrying print outs (it was that print out that had the QR code that I used to get the certificate into the phone in the first place) - what I find intriguing is that certificate states 1/1 - fully vaccinated - even though Astra needs 2 - I think the certificate has been tweaked because I am also recovered. My wife and daughter also recovered + one vax (different vaccine) have certs that show 2/2 even though they only got one! Confusion reigns.

The simple answer is no, the UK does not accept you are fully vaccinated and will need to quarantine and take tests on arrival.

22 minutes ago, bennetn said:

The simple answer is no, the UK does not accept you are fully vaccinated and will need to quarantine and take tests on arrival.

Yes, absolutely correct I just checked the latest rules and as far as I can see the UK does not accept recovery from covid as an alternative to being fully vaccinated for the purposes of entry without quarantine. Its fully vaccinated (both doses of AZ in your case ) or 10 days quarantine and 2 & 8 day tests.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#not-vaccinated

1 hour ago, bennetn said:

Thanks - that does indeed seem to be the rule - my question is how will they check that - given that the certificate I have says "fully vaccinated"? My question is about the certificate and what is actually checked and how?

15 minutes ago, fineman said:

Thanks - that does indeed seem to be the rule - my question is how will they check that - given that the certificate I have says "fully vaccinated"? My question is about the certificate and what is actually checked and how?

You will declare the same on the locator form and where it asks are you fully vaccinated you will say "no".  You can travel to UK unvaccinated (with current test) but on arrival you will need day 2 and day 8 tests and 10 days of quarantine.   They will check you have an approved locator form and a current test.

1/1 fully vaxed is not intriguing at all. They do an antibody test to see if you had it. If you are positive you get one jab of one. If you have no antibodies you get two jabs. But it took them a while to start testing for antibodies before giving out the jabs where I am... in France.

For UK one jab does not cut it. As said above. Crazy. But it sells their tests...

9 minutes ago, optimista said:

But it sells their tests...

...and keeps the EU-Furriners out (plus those GB citizens who dare to continue to live in the EU).

19 minutes ago, optimista said:

1/1 fully vaxxed is not intriguing at all. They do an antibody test to see if you had it. If you are positive you get one jab of one. If you have no antibodies you get two jabs. But it took them a while to start testing for antibodies before giving out the jabs where I am... in France.

For UK one jab does not cut it. As said above. Crazy. But it sells their tests...

I understand why I'm considered vaccinated - I have the "recovered" cert as well as the "vaccinated" cert. But it is a bit intriguing given that both my wife and daughter had covid, recovered, had one shot and their "vaccinated" certificates say 2/2 not 1/1 - so clearly there is something to be intrigued about I think :) 

17 minutes ago, fineman said:

I understand why I'm considered vaccinated - I have the "recovered" cert as well as the "vaccinated" cert. But it is a bit intriguing given that both my wife and daughter had covid, recovered, had one shot and their "vaccinated" certificates say 2/2 not 1/1 - so clearly there is something to be intrigued about I think  

Oh come on this is getting tedious.  From your first post it is clear that you are well aware that the UK do not consider you fully vaccinated.  You are just curious about whether you will get caught.  :)

Just now, snowingagain said:

Oh come on this is getting tedious.  From your first post it is clear that you are well aware that the UK do not consider you fully vaccinated.  You are just curious about whether you will get caught.  :)

:( No - I'm wondering what the process was that led to my wife and daughter ending up with a 2/2 whilst I had 1/1 and also genuinely interested to hear from people if the certificate is the proof that they are being asked for, if so is that 1/1 or 2/2 relevant, and so on. I am not someone who breaks rules if I can help it, I go out of my way to obey them even when there is a good chance I wouldn't get "caught" - if as it seems the regulations are clear, it is clear what I need to put on the passenger locator form and what tests I need to book. My curiosity around the process remains :) 

Instead of looking at the "fully vaccinated" thing, look lower down.  Details of which, what, when vaccinations were given are there.  Your wife/child Covpass app cannot possibly be showing dates and times of 2 approved vaccinations.  Absolutely no way.  

43 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Instead of looking at the "fully vaccinated" thing, look lower down.  Details of which, what, when vaccinations were given are there.  Your wife/child Covpass app cannot possibly be showing dates and times of 2 approved vaccinations.  Absolutely no way.  

It wasn't so much the "fully vaccinated" that I was interested in, it was the 1/1 (mine) and 2/2 (theirs) - looking at the detail of the certificate theirs say "Vaccine dose 2 of 2" whilst mine says "Vaccine dose 1 of 1" - but I never said they showed dates and times of two vaccinations, only that both seemed to show a full course, and mine seemed especially odd - but you are welcome to leave it - I know the rules and wasn't planning on breaking them once it was clear that they are unambiguous. 

Just something to note on vaccination. I go regularly to hospital to have my blood checked, last time they also checked for Covid Antibodies, despite being double vaccinated the results showed that my anti body count has dropped to almost nothing. I forget what figure is given for full protection, I think it's 150 and I have a grand total of 8 with 0 being no antibodies found, So I would advise everyone to get a booster ASAP.

I am fairly sure when you  indicate you are fully vaccinated on the UK passenger locator form it specifically asks which vaccine you were given in in the case of AZ and Pfizer the dates of both jabs and you will need the 2 certificates to confirm it at departure. From what you have said neither you or your family can complete this part of the form, regardless of what it says on the app/certificates, so it looks very much like you will all have to quarantine and pay in advance for the 2 & 8 day tests.

9 hours ago, fineman said:

My wife and daughter also recovered + one vax (different vaccine) have certs that show 2/2 even though they only got one! 

Clearly someone somewhere made a mistake.

Or let me guess. They had Janssen and the computer programmers had not yet caught up and supplied the option of 1/1.