Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Disturbance by neighbours animals

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a neighbour that keeps chickens in his yard, wich I dont mind, I do mind his rooster yelling 24/7 without stop no matter the hour or day. Can someone give me some advice (legal or non) how to approach this?

19 minutes ago, Squareidiot said:

Hello,
I have a neighbour that keeps chickens in his yard, wich I dont mind, I do mind his rooster yelling 24/7 without stop no matter the hour or day. Can someone give me some advice (legal or non) how to approach this?

1st recommendation:  Keep the popo out of it.  I highly recommend having a discussion with the neighbor to express your concerns, Come with an open mind.  You will probably need to concede on something to appease them, but what do you want in return?  Sometimes its a simple solution to keep the situation from boiling over and turning into a Hatfield-McCoy feud. Btw,  my experience is roosters usually crow at the crack of dawn,  not 24/7.  Perhaps  the rooster is getting confused with too much lighting, noise, or predators and is just being a protective cock.  

Oh dear. This is going to be difficult. We had this in our village. It went to court. Famously. The cock won. The neighbour was left with egg on his face. Seriously.

Could you get some free range eggs out of it ? Cocks crow. You cannot muzzle them. 

Now the barking dog who is the bane of my life is a different kettle of fish... and he lives a way away. (Away away. A wim away. The lion sleeps tonight. Wish I could.) Waiting for the neighbours to fix that for me. I already have one spattered barking dog t-shirt. Don t need another.

Where is the yard? Would the law make a distinction between a cock in a rural village and one in an urban area? I know life isn't fair but it would be unfair in my eyes if this was an urban area and the neighbours had only recently started keeping chickens.

I agree with Techsmex, keep the Behorde out of it.  Regardless of what the rules might be, the best way to get quiet is with the neighbor's cooperation.  And there's really no room to compromise, either the noisemaker goes or the noise continues. 

I suggest familiarizing yourself with local rules on noise and animals before talking to the neighbor.  But there's no way around it,  you need to talk to the neighbor.

27 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

But there's no way around it,  you need to talk to the neighbor.

Really? Like adults face-to-face without social media 👻.

30 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Really? Like adults face-to-face without social media 👻.

Just scream through the letterbox and run away... :lol:

On 29/09/2021, 11:22:31, DoubleDTown said:

...you need to talk to the neighbor.

Maybe talk to your other neighbours first and get them on board.

My guess is his first reaction will be to write you off as a PITA and not take you seriously. He is not going to welcome what you have to say. If the multitudes appear on his doorstep he may think differently.