Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suggest work options for my wife

8 posts in this topic

Heyy lovely people,

My wife is new in Germany. She worked a HR/Administrative job back in my country and she would like to continue working in Germany. 

Her options are limited as she doesnt know German yet. Ofcourse she will eventually learn German but as of now she wants to start training/working. My idea for her is to make her join some Ausbildung program where they train her and eventually take her in for full time job. Could some one tell me if they have taken similar route? I am not sure how to go about this as there are numerous Ausbildungs program and she is open for new domains apart from Management jobs.

Thanks,

Have a nice day :)

1 minute ago, hakka said:

My wife is new in Germany. She worked a HR/Administrative job back in my country and she would like to continue working in Germany. 

Her options are limited as she doesnt know German yet. Ofcourse she will eventually learn German but as of now she wants to start training/working. My idea for her is to make her join some Ausbildung program

An Ausbildung in Germany has both a work and a school component. The school component is completely in German.

No German = No Ausbildung

She should first learn German till at least B2.

First she needs to get her qualifications translated and linked to the German equivalent, German employers love their paperwork. Next you need to also look at where there are employee shortages. Very few are lucky enough to move to another country and carry on in the same job as before especially if they don't have the language skills.

Patent attorneys do like english mother tongue typists. These are generally overqualified ladies who are overworked and underpaid. But any port in a storm when washed up in a new country...

Which language does she speak? What does she even wanna do? Ausbildung ranges from working at a bakery to nurses, or working at a supermarket. I mean they have all kind of ausbildung. Without knowing what she prefers, its not possible to advice. Does she want to study at the uni? I mean, ausbildung can be good. Uni is even better. Its kinda difficult for foreigners to get job in HR if she doesnt speak german. Even b2 isnt enough. I mean, i didnt attend any german course and just take b2 to test myself out then i got like 97-98%. Those certificates dont really prepare you to survive out there

Enroll her in German full time.  An integration course will take her from zero to B1 in 6 months.  That still isn't much but enough to get by working a simple job.  Ideally she should do more before attempting an ausbildung.  As others have said, an ausbildung has a school part attached to it and that is in German.

I did a 1 Jahrige Ausbildung as an Altenpflegehilfe. I could have walked it if it was in English but as it happened I still passed. I let myself down by sometimes not understanding the question properly and maybe my written German grammar was hard for the teachers to understand. So doing B2 might be the minimum standard but you really need to aim higher.

If she has administrative skills she could consider:

1. International schools may have vacancies for admin/librarian etc

2. Call centre/tech support ‐ not the best type of work but possible if she has reasonable computer skills 

Tbh, I don't know any native English speakers who have done Ausbildung, except perhaps in childcare for working in a kindergarten.