BREXIT positives and negatives

1,963 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

(I just clicked and read. No paywall.)

That first link is not FT, the FT thing is within that article.

19 minutes ago, yesterday said:

You can read the stuff on the FT for free ( or at least I could ), by copying the the title and pasting it in to google search

Well thank you for that bit of fabulousness. Second hit down on my search engine, todayuknews.com is the freeby winner. Great!

And it's the beginning of a series, so that will be worth keeping a eye on.

What on earth has that got to do with Brexit? Some Greek politico took a bribe from Qatar, she has lots of company, Qatar has been quite active in this area (CF World-Cup bid).

There have been plenty of UK politicians caught up in this kind of thing in the past (interestingly many of them Tories).

Corruption costs the UK 10's or even hundreds of billions per year (UK Government report on economic crime) it was a problem before Brexit it's still a problem now, the fact is corrupt politicians exist, it's nasty but it's not a Brexit issue.

35 minutes ago, pappnase said:

What on earth has that got to do with Brexit?

Wow and WOW again.

Cant even bring myself to answer.

It would look rather pathetic if any Brexit-minded politicians wanted to make political capital out of this against the European Parliament. You will find dodgy dealings from employees or members in any large institution from time to time. The important thing is that when discovered appropriate action is taken, so its good to see that this Vice-President has been suspoended and Belgian authorities have come down hard on the case.

Especially ironic if any of Boris' entourage or fans want to point the finger given his antics whilst in office.

Yet another great Questiontime last Thursday evening, Ress Mogg got to feel the real angure from the audience. Well worth a watch if you get the time. I watched several reviews of the incident on YouTube as well, if you do not have a working VPN etc.

Jacob Rees-Mogg's BS Gets Called Out By Director Of Wine Business! - YouTube

Jacob Rees-Mogg's dismissal of businessman's Brexit plea stuns Question Time viewers - YouTube

Jacob Rees Mogg on Question Time - YouTube

Water off a duck's back.  Unfortunately, this government don't give a flying fuck about anybody but themselves.

SunakThisisFine.jpg

Brexit: French tourism slump after leaving EU, Brittany Ferries says

The number of people arriving at a UK port from France has more than halved after Brexit, a ferry firm has said.

Portsmouth ferry port saw 338,000 arrivals in 2019 but only 155,000 in 2022, according to Brittany Ferries.

The firm said "Brexit-related friction" including a need for passports was a major factor, although sailings to and from Ireland, within the European Union, had seen increased business.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-63984360

At least the BBC seems to be losing the fear of blaming Brexit. Only utter morons could have thought this was going to be a good idea. Our resident morons have mostly buggered off out of sheer embarrassment of course.

An Post (the Irish postal service) is sending back thousands of parcels daily to Royal Mail because they lack the necessary customs paperwork. Ireland was asked by the EU Commission to introduce the new rules that will impact parcels coming from outside the EU ahead of the rest of the union, as a litmus test perhaps. The whole EU will, or should be, operating these new rules from January so any issues An Post are experiencing now will be experienced by Die Post, La Poste etc. in about 2 weeks. The situation is so bad, the CEO of An Post was motivated to write a letter to the Financial Times in which he blames The Post Office, which blames Royal Mail for this disaster. 

https://www.ft.com/content/19df5640-af10-4716-b10d-083a1bdf7f44

So, if you are expecting post from family in the UK in the new year, you may want to make sure they are entering the correct codes themselves because the Post Office will not tell them and the parcel will probably be sent back.

On 14/12/2022, 13:53:55, alexunterwegs said:

It would look rather pathetic if any Brexit-minded politicians wanted to make political capital out of this against the European Parliament. You will find dodgy dealings from employees or members in any large institution from time to time. The important thing is that when discovered appropriate action is taken, so its good to see that this Vice-President has been suspoended and Belgian authorities have come down hard on the case.

Especially ironic if any of Boris' entourage or fans want to point the finger given his antics whilst in office.

On the most recent episode of Question Time, Jacob Rees-Mogg was doing exactly that, as well as dismissing the concerns of a wine importer, who said that his business had been turned upside down by all the new red tape and paperwork. Both from around 39 mins onwards, when someone asks a question about the benefits of Brexit.

Why the Question Time wine merchant who shocked Rees-Mogg was right about the Brexit damage to his industry

42 minutes ago, murphaph said:

So, if you are expecting post from family in the UK in the new year, you may want to make sure they are entering the correct codes themselves because the Post Office will not tell them and the parcel will probably be sent back.

Do you know what these codes are they are talking about, unfortunately your link goes to a paywall? I am not currently expecting anything although the package I sent from here to to England was delivered very quickly and without any customs charge even though the the value of the gifts it contained was over €100,- and I did not have to enter any codes on the customs etc.  forms I completed.

5 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

You can always try 12ft.io in case of paywalls

Many thanks.

@murphaph unfortunately the article still does not help or give any information on exactly what the Royal Mail is doing wrong or not doing.

9 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Do you know what these codes are they are talking about, unfortunately your link goes to a paywall? I am not currently expecting anything although the package I sent from here to to England was delivered very quickly and without any customs charge even though the the value of the gifts it contained was over €100,- and I did not have to enter any codes on the customs etc.  forms I completed.

4 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

I used the old trick to copy the title of the article  ( ie Why Britain’s SMEs are losing Irish customers in the post ) and paste it into another tab, then push the ENTER button and you get the full article.

@Panda I did try this, thanks for the tip, do not know why but when I kicked Accept cookies, it just came straight back with Accept Cookies again, its a bit annoying - but you can at least read it.

Unfortunately the article from the FT, did not give any details on which codes should be used or for what perpose.

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Unfortunately the article from the FT did not give any details on which codes should be used or for what purpose.

@keith2011

@yesterday

They probably mean the TARIC codes: https://outvio.com/blog/taric-codes/

You can look up the TARIC code of whatever is getting shipped here, on the official EU website: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=%20en

But this Irish "An Post" website looks easier to use for finding out the TARIC code: https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/SME/InternationalSending/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

Please also read the German customs website on this topic: https://www.zoll.de/EN/Businesses/Movement-of-goods/Import/Duties-and-taxes/Normal-customs-clearance/Customs-Tariff/customs-tariff_node.html

59 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Sorry, I have no FT sub but the article could be read on my side. Here's an article about the letter:

https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-blames-uk-parcel-issue-5944711-Dec2022/

I suspect the codes meant are the HS codes. For example the one I put on a parcel I sent to Essex this morning. It contained model railway articles, so it got the code 95030030 which is what is on stuff I get from the UK too, from retailers who know what they are doing that is. 

https://www.tariffnumber.com/2022/95030030

I hope my parcel gets through unmolested by UK customs as well as the value is way over the threshold. It probably will, given the utter chaos there at the moment. I hope the thing gets delivered before Easter too!

50 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Many thanks.

@murphaph unfortunately the article still does not help or give any information on exactly what the Royal Mail is doing wrong or not doing.

So basically from January all parcels entering the EU must have a HS code for each item inside. Ireland is implementing the new rules already as a test case. The UK SME or your auntie Joan brings a parcel to the post office and says I want to send this box of widgets to Ireland. The post office accepts the box and hands it over to Royal Mail who hands it over to An Post, who, noticing the missing HS code are under instructions to return the box to Royal Mail. Royal Mail is blaming the Post Office (these are different entities in the UK!) and the Post Office seems to be blaming Royal Mail and the government appears to be ignoring this altogether.