BREXIT positives and negatives

1,974 posts in this topic

On 18.10.2022, 14:12:13, alexunterwegs said:

Yes, but I couldn't see the EU forcing the issue over Schengen or Euro currency membership. They must realise that both would be a non-starter in the UK. 

Even in a remainer there remains the "what the UK wants will happen" mentality.

The EU is not missing the UK at the moment and for the UK to get back in it will be 100% on EU terms.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Even in a remainer there remains the "what the UK wants will happen" mentality.

The EU is not missing the UK at the moment and for the UK to get back in it will be 100% on EU terms.

Don't know. If the topic of the UK and Brexit crops up amongst the Euro politicians I hear, there is a regret it ever happened. Also, its long been recognised that not all EU nations are as integrated as others. The Uk was not the only country which wasn't in Schengen or the Euro. Then you have countries like Hungary and Poland which have gone off on a tangent (not least over the war).

However, I don't think full EU membership could be on the agenda for a long time. I'm just talking about the Single Market and Customs Union like Switzerland or Norway.  

10 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

I'm just talking about the Single Market and Customs Union like Switzerland or Norway.  

Yeah but I think the whole point is the UK position is so weak right now that the EU has no incentive to offer something like Norway or Swiss model.

The 'Norway' model that was always touted was based on the UK being part of the EEA, this option is not available to the UK because both Iceland and Norway have said they would exercise their veto's to stop this.

The Swiss model of being in the in the 'single market' but not the EEA or EU only works because CH is part of Schengen.

I really don't see any way for the UK to get back inside the tent even a little bit without them signing up to the Euro and Schengen, and both of those are currently still 'red line' issues for both major UK parties.

Now the Tories are U-Turning so fast we could probably solve the energy crisis by attaching a turbine to the PM, but I can't believe they will come to rest on an EU facing seat for another few years yet.

I think we need at least one non-tory parliament to try to 'make Brexit work' and when they fail then the political classes might have the balls to do the right thing.

I'm sure that eventually the UK will want to join (or the EU will be replaced by something bigger and better) but I can't see that being much before 2030.

2 hours ago, pappnase said:

Yeah but I think the whole point is the UK position is so weak right now that the EU has no incentive to offer something like Norway or Swiss model.

The 'Norway' model that was always touted was based on the UK being part of the EEA, this option is not available to the UK because both Iceland and Norway have said they would exercise their veto's to stop this.

The Swiss model of being in the in the 'single market' but not the EEA or EU only works because CH is part of Schengen.

News to me? If so, Norway and Iceland have kept it pretty quiet. 

25 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Was three years ago but here is an article about Norway, can't find the one about Iceland but it was a similar sort of thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/07/norwegian-politicians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

That seemed to be in relation to EFTA which basically only consists of 4 smallish countries. They probably thought they'd be dwarfed by the UK.  As I understand it, the EEA is much wider consisting of all the EU countries as well as Norway etc. I think if the more influential countries such as Germany, France were in favour of accommodating the UK, I doubt Norway and Iceland would get in the way.   

I'm sure the European countries would view any new UK proposals critically, given their recent experiences, but at the end of the day, the UK is an important market, and it must be in everyone's economic interests to trade freely. It might even be a completly new type of body, such as the group recently dreamed up by Macron.  Obviously, it would need a new set of UK politicians,  with a completly different outlook, to make it work. 

UK Home Secretary and govt chief whip both resigned today. Feels like the country is just stumbling from crisis to crisis. Brexit is unforgiving like that.

So, looks like Michael Green will be the next Prime Minister.

The car crash continues; Truss is now less popular than Prince Andrew.

I'll give her until the end of the week. Complete shitshow ... ... ... ... I'm loving it.

On 18/10/2022, 21:18:43, Janx Spirit said:

From your video:

"Brexit is a slow puncture, not a crash."

...Oh how apt...

Unfortunately the slow puncture led up to a crash, current exchange rate 1 pound = 1.15 Euro

Just now, Wulfrun said:

Unfortunately the slow puncture led up to a crash, current exchange rate 1 pound = 1.15 Euro

The crash was always going to happen, all the available drivers were/are blind... ;) 

The Guardian reports that trade between the UK and the EU is significantly less than it would have been without b--t.

Very good, I just hope trade with other places has not gone up to compensate.

I was not allowed to vote, I would have been a remoaner, but if trade goes down maybe b---t is not This Madness after all.

Who on earth is Michael Green? Does he run a parish council somewhere in Toryshire?

(Forgive my ignorance! The names of the next Saviour of the UK change so quickly ...)

Many grassroots tories want BoJo back, or several other former Prime Ministers could be considered. Tony Blair was so popular back then. Perhaps he could forum a GNU, government of national unity😉

B---t made little difference to me, I guess that applies to many of us on this forum.