BREXIT positives and negatives

1,837 posts in this topic

I don’t think that the porcine reference to Italy or Italians is appropriate in civilised conversation.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I had to look up the acronym. Many different meanings one of which is Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain.

Yes, it's an economic reference to those 4 southern European countries.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I had to look up the acronym. Many different meanings one of which is Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain.

Hope it wasn’t offensive after all. 

29 minutes ago, emkay said:

I don’t think that the porcine reference to Italy or Italians is appropriate in civilised conversation.

You make me laugh.

I thought everyone knew who the PIGS were.

12 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Why would they?  Unless someone has even a passing interest in economics, which a lot of people don't, they're not going to be familiar with these references.

26 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You make me laugh.

Thought you were just shouting an insult with caps! I lead a sheltered life :ph34r:

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

Why would they?  Unless someone has even a passing interest in economics, which a lot of people don't, they're not going to be familiar with these references.

It was actually called PIIGS.

But Ireland removed itself from the list (through tough austerity).

18 hours ago, optimista said:

Brexit will be the scapegoat of all European ills.

Yer you´d think people would be concentrating on extolling the virtues of everything that has happened since...

oh wait

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yer you´d think people would be concentrating on extolling the virtues of everything that has happened since...

oh wait

It's all the Tories fault, their anti EU faction and their economic austerity policy resulted in the referendum,  the vote for brexit, then Boris completely  fuc*ed up getting it done and now Truss is overseeing a comprehensive economic disaster and loss of confidence! When Labour win the next General Election things may have completely gone down the drain with the country, the finances and the economy in dire straights, not a great time to take over the reigns of power. 

We should of course remember the reason why the UK got  austerity, which was under Labour the banking crisis occurred, banks were in danger of going broke. So Labour borrowed a lot to bail them out, which is the reason the  austerity  came about as those loans had to be paid back so cut backs were made. The reason why the UK got hit so hard, is that London etc is a finical capitol, and is the biggest part of the UK economy. This changed was due to Margret Thatcher letting go of huge parts of industries in the 1980,s

That isn't actually true though. Austerity happened because the tories are ideologically wedded to it. It was unnecessary cruel and in some cases breached international human rights agreements.

It was an evil made by an evil party.

Interesting

I normally view the Tories as a party that wants low taxes, particularly for its wealthy members. They take the view that low taxes will allow greater personal choices for the public and that leads to a smaller state. But they also like to keep GDP to dept low as it reduces the interest you have to pay on that dept. However Lizz has blown that out of the water, and will increase the dept, just as world interest rates are rising, which I believe will lead to disaster. Normally the Tories will leave parliament because of sleaze.  Johnson/Major

While Labour, are about having higher taxes and spreading the money on a bigger state, however that has the down side that dept to GDP ratio increases and cost more money to service the dept. I have seen in my own life, that the UK had to go cap in hand to the IMF in about 1976/77, because it had spent too much. The IMF/EU lent money to the UK on  the assurance that the Labour party would reduce public spending. Again the Labour party was at least partly blamed for the finical crises of 2008. Labour normally leaves parliament because the country is broke.  Think Callaghan , 1979, country broke, lots of strikes, think Blare/Brown, who left the country broke. Sure the Tories could have raised taxes, rather than had austerity, but the public voted for the Tories ( and as already said Tories like a small state ) rather than carry on with Brown, who would have no doubt been at the IMF's door a couple of years later.

Of course Germany has one of the lowest GDP to dept ratio's among many countries, but it can afford high social systems because it sells a lot of stuff around the world, unlike the UK, were many industries have gone of business or become smaller.

I would not call any approach evil in this respect, and it is after all voted on by the UK voters, who can choose which ever Government they want every so often. During my life time, it seems the Tories mostly get elected. So I guess the public knowing what the 2 UK parties will likely do, its the  UK public who decide that the Tories ( and follow austerity ) should be in power, rather than Labour. Does that make the UK voters Evil ?

35 minutes ago, yesterday said:

While Labour, are about having higher taxes and spreading the money on a bigger state, however that has the down side that dept to GDP ratio increases and cost more money to service the dept. I have seen in my own life, that the UK had to go cap in hand to the IMF in about 1976/77, because it had spent too much.

I think your historical recollection is wrong, from my memory the the debt and currency problems faced by the Wilson 1960s government was due to the previous Tory administration, "13 years of Tory misrule" I think was the saying of the time. May well be much the same saying if Labour win next time!

17 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I think your historical recollection is wrong, from my memory the the debt and currency problems faced by the Wilson 1960s government was due to the previous Tory administration, "13 years of Tory misrule" I think was the saying of the time. May well be much the same saying if Labour win next time!

Here is a list of UK prime ministers  List of prime ministers of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

There was no 13 year rule for the Tories, before Callahan went to the IMF

Callahan was preceded by  Harold Wilson ( Labour ), they were in power from 74 to 79.

Before that  Edward Heath (Tories ) 70 to 74

Before that  Harold Wilson  64 to 1970, by the way he had to de value, the pound, I guess because the Tory rule was 13 years before that.

I think you are a bit older than me, so I had to look this up !!!

I think you are talking about was from 1951 to 1964, fits the 13 years, but I was talking about  James Callaghan, 10 years later

James Callaghan  went cap in hand to the IMF in 1976, Labour had been in power since 1974, so just 2 years later, we went to go get the money in.

The UK imports more than HALF of the food consumed there, what Madness. Imports are going to cost more because the GBP is weak. Perhaps the agricultural industry could be encouraged to produce more grains and vegetables and less meat.

Yet again, so glad I do not live there😉

18 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

"13 years of Tory misrule"

That was the sneer used by Harald WIlson many a time.