BREXIT positives and negatives

1,837 posts in this topic

Attended the citizenship ceremony in a beautifully sunny Potsdam this afternoon. The proceedings opened with a blast of Ode an die Freude. I must say, for the first time ever I really noticed the following lines in bold:

Wem der große Wurf gelungen
Eines Freundes Freund zu sein;
Wer ein holdes Weib errungen
Mische seinen Jubel ein!
Ja, wer auch nur eine Seele
Sein nennt auf dem Erdenrund!
Und wer's nie gekonnt, der stehle
Weinend sich aus diesem Bund!

Schiller foreseeing the future 200 years ago lol.

I was asked by a few people why I thought the UK had left the EU. I couldn't really come up with a diplomatic answer. It was nice to speak to some Brandenburg Abgeordnete, who realised what a great problem Brexit had created for Ireland. It reminded me, how deep the support runs in the EU for us. It was quite touching actually.

On 8/26/2022, 5:35:54, optimista said:

Hasn t.

But do you really want to be financing and 'negotating' against Hungary, Poland, Romania, Malta, Greece, for example ? Places that do not play by the rules... no, I will note cite examples. We know corruption is rife and values are... erm... différent. God help 'em when Serbia gets in.

I am just not convinced.

That's the point. You and millions of other Brits won't see any benefits from Brexit. As I said, Brexiteers just focus on the EU as an institution, and ignore the great benefits to EU nationals. Ask the average German if they'd  like to give up the freedom to move freely around Europe,  because of some issues with corrupt politicians in Romania or Malta. I think we all know what the answer would be. 

On 26/08/2022, 23:35:54, optimista said:

'negotating' against Hungary, Poland, Romania, Malta, Greece, for example

But the UK is still negotiating with all these countries, the difference is that those countries have the backing of the rest of the EU and the UK doesn't.

The UK is a small, un-interesting island with a disproportionately large influence in the world due to accidents of history.

The influence came from violent domination in the form of empire. The ability to dominate the world came from a technology advantage due to the industrial revolution.  

Now that the age of empire is over, the best alternative was for the UK to take it's place as a part of the European continent.

By being inside the EU they could leverage the cultural and linguistic legacies of empire to act as a gateway to the EU for countries outside the EU (like India and the USA). Now outside it's just an island nation with a nuclear arsenal that it can't afford.

Yes. Agree. But I also think it s a nice theory. And reality is different. There s an insoluble dichotomy.

And of course I see advantages to being in Europe. But is the price worth paying ?

UK went to the dogs a long time ago. Europe going the same way as far as I can see.

11 hours ago, pappnase said:

But the UK is still negotiating with all these countries, the difference is that those countries have the backing of the rest of the EU and the UK doesn't.

The UK is a small, un-interesting island with a disproportionately large influence in the world due to accidents of history.

The influence came from violent domination in the form of empire. The ability to dominate the world came from a technology advantage due to the industrial revolution.  

Now that the age of empire is over, the best alternative was for the UK to take it's place as a part of the European continent.

By being inside the EU they could leverage the cultural and linguistic legacies of empire to act as a gateway to the EU for countries outside the EU (like India and the USA). Now outside it's just an island nation with a nuclear arsenal that it can't afford.

I don`t think you understand the mess the EU is in.

Let me give you an example, Italy`s 10 year bond is trading at close to 4%:

With inflation rampant at 9.1%, there is going to come a point where the Southern countries will not be able to service their debt.

Who do you think is going to pay for Italy? 

It is popcorn time for the EU. 

To be honest I fully expect the next couple of years to be the worst disaster in one hundred years, the problem the world is facing will smash many economies big or small. 

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

To be honest I fully expect the next couple of years to be the worst disaster in one hundred years, the problem the world is facing will smash many economies big or small. 

That means worse than the second world war, which killed ca. 45 million people. You think it's gonna be worse than that?

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

That means worse than the second world war, which killed ca. 45 million people. You think it's gonna be worse than that?

Sorry I was not talking in deaths, only the economic damage, large un employment etc, companies going bust  etc etc and the UK has BREXIT on top :lol:

1 minute ago, yesterday said:

and the UK has BREXIT on top :lol:

But the UK won`t have to bail out Italy. 

Look at he the spread between the German 10 year bond and the Italian 10 year bond.

The debt markets have turned on Italy.

I think the coming economic troubles coming to the EU ( and the world ) as a result of all you can see will be the real test of the euro economy, if this does not break it nothing will, that will have knock on effect to the UK, 50 % of UK exports is to the EU. I think a major depression is coming .... probably than bigger than 1929.

To that end, I have been selling stocks were possible

Just looking a the pound falling against the Euro right now.

6 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I think the coming economic troubles coming to the EU ( and the world ) as a result of all you can see will be the real test of the euro economy, if this does not break it nothing will, that will have knock on effect to the UK, 50 % of UK exports is to the EU. I think a major depression is coming ... probably than bigger than 1929.

To that end, I have been selling stocks were possible

Just looking a the pound falling against the Euro right now.

Everything is falling against the dollar.

I agree, i don 'think this will be a recession but a depression.

4 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Now the French are showing their humour : 

'The Iron Weathercock': World reacts to Truss win

In France, meanwhile, she has been branded not the Iron Lady - which was

former UK PM Margaret Thatcher's nickname - but the Iron Weathercock.

This is a reference to Ms Truss's changing views on the UK leaving the European Union - she went from opponent before the 2016 referendum, to supporter afterwards, saying in July that "some of the portents of doom didn't happen".

It's believed the term was first coined in Les Echos in July - but has since caught on among some commentators

BBC

The pound has reached its lowest level in history in recent days.

63186a2e55f08_rockbottom.jpg.d79f7c07c4e

Another brexit first...