BREXIT positives and negatives

1,841 posts in this topic

I guess the sign also applies to British visitors coming here to work on a short term basis, contractors or whatever. They would need the relevant visa, hence it's not "passport & visa" but "passport | visa". 

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

I guess the sign also applies to British visitors coming here to work on a short term basis, contractors or whatever. They would need the relevant visa, hence it's not "passport & visa" but "passport | visa". 

Is a long stay visa or the future tourist visa no longer a stamp in the passport? It would make much sense if it was as per the ones you used to get for the USA or must everything now be online to prove it is real?;)

d'ont see that its there to target UK persons, its just a commonly used language, otherwise they would be stating  it in Chinese and many other languages. It just easier to write it one common language  

Not sure if its just me ( being British ), but I have been on holiday to Britain twice this year, and there is not passport control to leave the UK, only a check that the passport is in date, performed by the airline staff. Does that mean a German can come to the UK stay as long as he/she wants and just leave without any checks on how long they have stayed in the UK.  All people seemed to take way to get to the departure area.

53 minutes ago, yesterday said:

d'ont see that its there to target UK persons

Perhaps you missed the Union Jack?

It isn't targeting, it is just information.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Does that mean a German can come to the UK stay as long as he/she wants and just leave without any checks on how long they have stayed in the UK

I strongly suspect it does, on my last visit the only check on arrival in the UK was the automatic machine, same for both my wife with German passport and me with a UK one, no stamp etc. etc and nothing to indicate how long a stay is allowed. I may be wrong but I doubt the "system" is up to flagging non leavers let alone knowing where they may be living and given that no id is required in the UK even if stopped by the police after 5 years it seems unlikely they would discover the person had overstayed. So much for taking back control of our borders.

63022b344ed8d_Screenshot2022-08-21145441

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Perhaps you missed the Union Jack?

It isn't targeting, it is just information.

Its common in all kinda places to see a Union Jack, used to indicate English language

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

63022b344ed8d_Screenshot2022-08-21145441

Its common in all kinda places to see a Union Jack, used to indicate English language

Not on a sign in an airport.

Internet, advertising etc yer.

33 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Not on a sign in an airport.

Internet, advertising etc yer.

Or maybe this, its just a way to get English language, this no internet advertising - just Munich airport website

Untitled.jpg.30204afb64c95972240bd57bd4b

When I walk through Manchester Airport, arrivals, I remember seeing the EU flag ( and I think, but not sure  the union jack as well ) marked above the lane you are supposed to walk down to immigration checks - sorry i did not take a pic of it

21 minutes ago, yesterday said:

When I walk through Manchester Airport, arrivals, I remember seeing the EU flag ( and I think, but not sure  the union jack as well ) marked above the lane you are supposed to walk down to immigration checks - sorry i did not take a pic of it

You know why you see different flags on signs for the EU and UK,because the requirements are different.

If that Union Jack was just to let you know it was in English (which you would know just by looking at it even if no flag) and a Frenchman just got off of a plane,he can´t speak a word of German but only French and English.So he reads the sign in English and then thinks "shit,I didn´t realise I needed a visa,hotel booking,declaration etc".

The sign is there to tell people from the UK what they need to have to hand to show.

So somebody coming from the USA/China, does not need a passport or VISA or a booked hotel ?? I think they do. So why not have an Chinese sigh there as well ? I would assume every third party country has the same more or less requirements. A French man does not need this because France is not a third party country!. A China man, may have a better chance to read the English and pre pare all the required document.

It's probably Brits that are causing delays en masse by getting to the front of the queue without realising they need any of these things. So it's probably fair to say this is to highlight these facts to them. 

Presumably if you have a visa you don't have to prove hotel stay or anything else (or at least you already did that when you applied for the visa).  

52 minutes ago, yesterday said:

So somebody coming from the USA/China, does not need a passport or VISA or a booked hotel ?? I think they do.

My son visits without a visa, as does my 6 yo granddaughter, who is here now.  They are US citizens residing in 🇦🇲.  They don’t book a hotel, cuz we’re the hotel.  If asked the purpose of entering Schengen it’s to stay with parents/grandparents who live in Konstanz.  Never a problem.  They follow the 90/180 day rule.  Son makes EU biz trips too without a visa.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/schengen.html

On 8/20/2022, 7:05:26, fraufruit said:

I go to the EU passport line because I have permanent residency but an Ami passport.

I didn't know that worked either! Will try next time!

Actually, I go to the shortest line which is usually EU when flying from U.S. 

Why can't a permanent resident of the EU not use that line?

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

My son visits without a visa, as does my 6 yo granddaughter, who is here now.  They are US citizens residing in 🇦🇲.  They don’t book a hotel, cuz we’re the hotel.  If asked the purpose of entering Schengen it’s to stay with parents/grandparents who live in Konstanz.  Never a problem.  They follow the 90/180 day rule.  Son makes EU biz trips too without a visa.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/schengen.html

Thanks for that

My brothers son will be visiting from Britain.  I was starting to think I might have to give him a letter saying he is stay with me.  But from your experance he will not

Now I am convinced that sign is for English talkers not only for English passport holders to get your papier work out ready for checking

34 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Thanks for that

My brothers son will be visiting from Britain.  I was starting to think I might have to give him a letter saying he is stay with me.  But from your experance he will not

Well at the very least he should have a credible story about what he’s doing here and be able to produce your name and address on the spot.  Having a letter isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  That’s really up to you.  As we all know, border agents profile and have discretion.  I can only speak to our experiences.

I defo believe the Munich sign is for Brits. Brits are the ones who have recently started needing documents that they didn't need for almost 50 years. The Chinese and Americans have always needed these things. They don't get the reminder. The Brits, at least the thickos, might need one, and seeing their beloved flag is meant to alert them to that sign.

The UK, like many Anglo countries, has no exit passport control, but the Home Office gets information electronically directly from the airline, so they know of overstayers. It's just that, like in the US, they are welcome to leave, but returning might be problematic. In the past, when records were not electronic and they relied on passport stamps, different story. I know overstayers who got away with it. These days, unlikely.