BREXIT positives and negatives

1,647 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Any chance you could share with us the location where you stayed? I'm curious because I visited London, the South East and Dorset Coastal towns for 2 weeks back in May this year and saw nothing like what you describe and certainly no empty supermarket shelves (shopped in Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys and M&S).

Eastbourne.

Everything was great on the seafront. Even the little corner shop just around behind the hotel where I bought my Thatcher's cider on a regular basis. Nice smiley Asian guy who'd save me a four-pack.

But as we moved into the hinterland/city centre the whole atmosphere seemed to change despite the tourists.

Maybe seeing the remnants of Philip Green's empire (huge stretch of retail property all shuttered and boared) in a prime high street location on the main square added to my sense of 'huh'?

M&S Foodhall fully stocked (Yummy take-away lunch). Tesco Metro ok (but as it was about as big as our hotel bedroom it would be hard to not have any empty shelves.)

But it was when we drove out of town to the superstores of Sainsburys and Morrisons in Willingdon Drove. Dreadful. Empty shelves ago-go.

As Mrs C is a huge yorkie fan, we also popped into the local Toby Carvery for dinner. We'd been there 2.5 years before and it was brilliant! Never again. Possibly the worst service and food in my life. I even went shouty-boy at one stage. I left a £0.12 tip. It was that bad. Even Mrs C (who never complains) was complaining.

But, this is just my personal opinion. I'm sure other expats travelling back are having great experiences in Brexit UK.

I have been back in the UK twice this year,. My local town Lytham, had no shortages in any of the supermarkets, every shelf full. However driving out side to the local TESCO Mega supermarket, was a different picture, lots of empty shelfs and not as much choice as 3 years ago. Morrison's was well stocked.

If you had a better experience than me in Lancs, brilliant!

I'm not dissing England as I love to travel back to England.

It just seems a bit hit and miss at the moment as to what I'll experience depending on location.

Having said that, from personal experience, northern folks (I have lots of friends in Leeds) tend to deal with these situations and just get on with how to fix it; whereas southern shandy drinkers, umm... moan and drink shandy. And do nothing.

1 hour ago, Chelski said:

As Mrs C is a huge yorkie fan, we also popped into the local Toby Carvery for dinner.

Ah ok, Yorkshire puds, I thought you meant the Yorkie bar and wondered wtf you were going into a carvery for to get one.

And here I was, wondering about the connection between a toy-sized terrier (Yorkie) and some restaurant.  😂

Jesus fucking H, BREXIT has, is and will continue to be a shit storm, the reasons will always remain obscure but are imbedded in tax avoidance and wealth management.

. Reality? my father suffering a stroke and having to wait for four hours for the ambulance only for said ambulance to be rerouted twice, adding another hour and a half... don't ask... :( 

32 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Jesus fucking H, BREXIT has, is and will continue to be a shit storm, the reasons will always remain obscure but are imbedded in tax avoidance and wealth management.

. Reality? my father suffering a stroke and having to wait for four hours for the ambulance only for said ambulance to be rerouted twice, adding another hour and a half... don't ask... :( 

Dunno how that's Brexit-related but I understand your anguish re your father.

53 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

And here I was, wondering about the connection between a toy-sized terrier (Yorkie) and some restaurant.  😂

Just think Korea :)

11 hours ago, john g. said:

Dunno how that's Brexit-related but I understand your anguish re your father.

You haven't heard of the mass exodus of NHS personell due to Brexit?

"NHS facing 38,000 nurse shortage even if government hits recruitment target"

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workforce/nhs-facing-38000-nurse-shortage-even-if-government-hits-recruitment-target-20-07-2022/

"Brexit has pulled an already struggling part of our social fabric into even greater crisis."

“It’s been devastating,” says Nadra Ahmed, the chair of the National Care Association, which represents small and medium-sized care providers. “It’s made an already declining situation, much, much worse. We’ve lost a lot of our European colleagues. They decided they no longer wanted to stay. They felt unwanted, unsafe, undervalued.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/spiralling-inflation-crops-left-in-the-field-and-travel-chaos-10-reasons-brexit-has-been-disastrous-for-britain

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

You haven't heard of the mass exodus of NHS personell due to Brexit?

Judging by the experience my mother had in hospital following a health problem, which should not have needed a stay in hospital had she been able to get timely treatment from her GP,  it was clear that  the before and after hospital care available on the NHS seems to have almost completely broken down. I strongly suspect the exodus and other woes of the NHS  are more due to low wages and ever increasing workloads resulting from the Tories failure to provide sufficient funding since they took over government in 2010 rather than just brexit alone or the decline in the value of the GBP following the brexit vote.

I'm obviously late to the table but I just found out that the English Shop in Köln has closed due to difficulties caused by Brexit.

I was in Tenerife for the last few weeks and the English supermarkets are full of Irish pork and cheese products thanks to Brexit. The new supply lines meant we even enyoyed some lovely Coolmore cakes from West Cork bought in an "Iceland". Brexit: Boosting Irish exports since 2016.

On 10/08/2022, 14:25:59, murphaph said:

I was in Tenerife for the last few weeks and the English supermarkets are full of Irish pork and cheese products thanks to Brexit. The new supply lines meant we even enyoyed some lovely Coolmore cakes from West Cork bought in an "Iceland". Brexit: Boosting Irish exports since 2016.

I drink Irish whiskey now, Scotch is too expensive here...

Lol!! Not too many (any?) Brexit fanboys around here anymore. None with the balls to admit it anyway.

Lest anyone should forget why it's so important that violence does not return to Northern Ireland...it's 24 years to the day since the Omagh bombing, the worst single terrorist incident of the troubles. Liz Truss and the Tories don't give a fuck about any of that though. Playing with fire on a massive scale just to keep themselves in power a bit longer.