BREXIT positives and negatives

1,472 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Dembo said:

I bought something from M&S online. I wasn't even sure I was buying from the UK company: the website was in German and all the prices in Euros. But even if yes, surely issues around customs have been solved this far into Brexit and they would just display the full price including any charges at the checkout.

But I was wrong. Had to pay a customs charge to DHL.

If it is food items you are after the British Corner Shop (now Netherlands based) not only has a range of British and Irish products but also an M&S food section. Also Michelle's Specialities, which I prefer has I think a better range of British products, but no M&S, and ships from Germany and is cheaper for shipping or zero for orders over €100.-. I have used both, charges for  customs and UK VAT plus MwSt.  are already included in the checkout prices, both websites (see links below) are or have options on the home page to switch to English language, though watch out on the Corner Shop where the currency defaults to GBP even after selecting Germany for delivery.

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/

https://www.greatbritishfood.de/

Update:-

I was just browsing and Michelle's Specialities are again offering a selection of English Cheddars and other English cheeses. :D

It really is pathetic for the Government, Truss and Sunak included, to try and turn this into some serial French bashing.  The EU have been working for more than  40 years or so at taking barriers down, to make things easier, quicker to move across internal borders. I seem to recall that Tory pin-up Thatcher  was one of the cheer leaders for the European Internal Market.. The UK Government now is basically throwing all that into reverse. Putting up barriers again.

Even given the Referendum result, it didn't need to be a Hard Brexit. But no, Johnson and the rest were hell-bent on isolating the UK. Priti Patel has been doing her damndest to make life difficult for EU nationals (and even war-fleeing Ukranians) getting to the UK. So it's not (to use a good German phrase) an Einbahnstrasse.

Even if the French are a bit slow at pouring more resources into their border staffing, who can blame them. This is exactly what they, and everyone else with a bit of foresight, warned about.  To coin a phrase, you can't have your cake and eat it.  

Just a pity, that its not only those who ignored the warnings and voted Brexit, that have to suffer the consequences. 

It really is pathetic for the Government, Truss and Sunak included, to try and turn this into some serial French bashing.  The EU have been working for more than  40 years or so at taking barriers down, to make things easier, quicker to move across internal borders. I seem to recall that Tory pin-up Thatcher  was one of the cheer leaders for the European Internal Market.. The UK Government now is basically throwing all that into reverse. Putting up barriers again.

Even given the Referendum result, it didn't need to be a Hard Brexit. But no, Johnson and the rest were hell-bent on isolating the UK. Priti Patel has been doing her damndest to make life difficult for EU nationals (and even war-fleeing Ukranians) getting to the UK. So it's not (to use a good German phrase) an Einbahnstrasse.

Even if the French are a bit slow at pouring more resources into their border staffing, who can blame them. This is exactly what they, and everyone else with a bit of foresight, warned about.  To coin a phrase, you can't have your cake and eat it.  

Just a pity, that its not only those who ignored the warnings and voted Brexit, that have to suffer the consequences. 

9 minutes ago, john_b said:

"No matter that leaving the EU has tangled up businesses in form-filling, fees and a new world of unbelievable complexity: Rishi Sunak says he wants to “go further and faster in using the freedoms Brexit has given us to cut the mass of EU regulations and bureaucracy holding back our growth”. Liz Truss sounds even more zealous: she now wants to scrap all the regulations in UK law that are there as the legacy of our time in the EU by the end of next year, to “make the most of our newfound freedoms outside the EU”.

Six years ago, Truss – unlike Sunak – enthusiastically campaigned for remain, but she is now more than happy to eat her words. “I was wrong and I am prepared to admit I was wrong,” she recently told the BBC. “Some of the portents of doom didn’t happen and instead we have actually unleashed new opportunities.”"

As a former Lib Dem and Remainer, Truss seems to embody the Groucho Marx quote "I have principles. If you don't like them, I have others".

On 26/07/2022, 18:51:02, keith2011 said:

If it is food items you are after the British Corner Shop (now Netherlands based) not only has a range of British and Irish products but also an M&S food section. A:D

Thanks for that. It was pants and socks and shirts I bought, but I've just ordered some Tea and Marmite from the corner shop. Tea's about the only thing I regularly buy (and it's twice the price on Amazon).

Whilst I'm moaning.. I've been looking at bikes and found Ribble and it's another website where everything is in German and the prices are in Euros giving the definite impression that you'd pay what it says. But of course they're british which means you need to add 14% import duty, 19% MwStt and 19% MwSt to the import duty (I think that's the way it works). That really should be against some kind of comsumer law. 

11 minutes ago, Dembo said:

That really should be against some kind of comsumer law. 

Why? That's just normal tax and import duty.

Why I never order anything from the U.S.

Just now, fraufruit said:

I think the price displayed on the site should be the final price paid.

It's not common in consumer purchases in Europe for the tax and duty to be excluded.

I know it's really common in the US and as such it's not a huge deal, but it is "unusual".

21 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Why I never order anything from the U.S.

That's assuming you know you're ordering from the US. If you ordered something from a .de website, in German and priced in Euros you wouldn't think it was coming from the US and customs charges would apply.

That was the bit I was moaning about. But I'm not sure how you could stop it.

To be fair to Ribble, there was a popup saying this. I bet they've been caught out many times by people ordering from the EU and then not wanting to pay the extra.

I order a lot from Amazon US, all taxes/shipping are displayed before ordering.

Even ordering overseas, these things are displayed before pushing the order button.

50 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Whilst I'm moaning.. I've been looking at bikes and found Ribble and it's another website where everything is in German and the prices are in Euros giving the definite impression that you'd pay what it says. But of course they're british which means you need to add 14% import duty, 19% MwStt and 19% MwSt to the import duty (I think that's the way it works). That really should be against some kind of comsumer law. 

Sympathize but I also assume the base price would be -20% British VAT, so maybe no so bad a deal, though looking at the bikes on the Ribble website I did not see anything better or cheaper than what you could buy from a German Manufacturer  here.

Further to this discussion but on a general note I can't help thinking that a 20% or close to sales tax in Western Europe on everything non food we buy is way way too high. VAT/MwSt is charged then claimed back on every transaction in the supply chain until it reaches a non business purchaser who coughs up the full amount, which makes it effectively both a business profit tax as well as a sales tax. I do wonder how much worse off a countries tax system would be if all the VAT charges and refunds in the supply chain were scrapped and only a more reasonable retail sales tax on the end user of under 10% were charged? Also how much would Corporation tax need to go up to make up the difference? That is the kind of radicle option that is open now to the UK post brexit.

On 03/08/2022, 15:09:39, john_b said:

The article above kinda hit home. I have thought long and hard about responding.

I've posted elsewhere about our ferry trip over to the UK for the first time in 2.5 years, there and back, but not what happened inbetween.

God, I was so excited to be back. The hotel was full of shiny happy people and the hotel service was impeccable.

Then we ventured outside the hotel into the town centre.

I don't really have the words to describe how I felt. It was drab. Everyone was drab. Almost a sense of resignation that this is what it is.

The only animated conversation I had outside the hotel in 6 days was with a Dutch couple who'd sailed their boat over. And that was when I noticed them collapsing and locking their Bromley bikes. I never had a meaningful conversation with an English person.

Supermarket shelves empty (Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Asda) check. People wandering around like zombies in the supermarket, check. We visited all four.

Again, I'm not dissing anything. It is what it is.

But if I'm honest I found it quite distressing. Even Mrs Chelski noticed my mood change.

In 2.5 years my England has ceased to exist. Its a tough one for me to deal with.

31 minutes ago, Chelski said:

Then we ventured outside the hotel beach into the town centre.

Any chance you could share with us the location where you stayed? I'm curious because I visited London, the South East and Dorset Coastal towns for 2 weeks back in May this year and saw nothing like what you describe and certainly no empty supermarket shelves (shopped in Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys and M&S).

Yup. Sheffield in May was average, really. 

I brought flour back because they had it and we didn't. 

I was surprised by how normal it was. There were empty shelves, but not loads generally, and better than here at the time.

Bath in June was buzzing.

These are both University towns with students and their busy-ness.

And if you are talking about empty shelves you should have tried getting a bottle of Tonic (as in Gin & Tonic) here in Munich earlier this week, with the exception of the Cocoa Cola brands there were no soft drinks  to be had at several different supermarkets, in the end I found one of the herbal ones (just one) but not the same as a good old Schwepps Indian Tonic Water and much more expensive.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

And if you are talking about empty shelves you should have tried getting a bottle of Tonic (as in Gin & Tonic) here in Munich earlier this week, with the exception of the Cocoa Cola brands there were no soft drinks  to be had at several different supermarkets, in the end I found one of the herbal ones (just one) but not the same as a good old Schwepps Indian Tonic Water and much more expensive.

This brings me to a pet hate of mine...

Apart from the Coca-Cola brands, there is an absolute dearth of zero sugar drinks, you can have cola, orange, lemonade and that´s it basically. You can buy a few other flavours but most of them are from Schweppes so are pricey.

Nothing to do with Brexit I know but just felt like putting it out there.