BREXIT positives and negatives

794 posts in this topic

Lower standard of living? People in the UK will surely have enough potatoes and sprouts to eat, if they eat less stuff imported from Spain, NZ etc that would be good. They could even upgrade their cars less often. Using less resources, energy etc.

What is not to like?

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

German driving licences issued before 1999 include entitlement to drive a small to medium-sized truck of up to 7.5 tonnes

The government has asked thousands of Germans residing in the UK to drive lorries to assist with the HGV shortage, even if they have never driven one before.

Not having my old British Licence any more I can't be sure but I seem to remember that it also qualified me to drive anything up to 7.5 ton and a traction engine as well! Hell a 7.5 tonne is no more than a big van nothing like an HGV so I'm not sure that should be taken seriously.

2 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Lower standard of living? People in the UK will surely have enough potatoes and sprouts to eat, if they eat less stuff imported from Spain, NZ etc that would be good. They could even upgrade their cars less often. Using less resources, energy etc.

What is not to like?

Absolutely.  And even the locally grown stuff being left to rot in the fields because of shortages of farm workers and distribution problems has its upside.  The lardy Brits can slim down a bit.  Do them a world of good.  It's just a win win thing.

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

Northern Ireland is turning out to be the (for the Tories) rather embarrassing control subject in this great Brexit experiment. It is experiencing life as normal while GB motorists queue for hours to get fuel.

You are being much too pessimistic! If the Tories try to drag Northern Ireland down with the rest of Britain, the Irish can offer them reunification and get the EU to cover some of the costs. A win for the Irish and the EU! 

Furthermore, think of the positive environmental impact the fuel shortage is having. :)

6 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

The lardy Brits can slim down a bit.  Do them a world of good.  It's just a win win thing.

That is the spirit! Look for the silver lining!  

Talk of having to cull 150k pigs on farms in GB as there is nobody to slaughter and process them. Farmers can't keep feeding them as they have no cash coming in to pay for feed. Christmas bacon products that would normally start to be produced in July already still haven't started to be produced. 

42 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Not having my old British Licence any more I can't be sure but I seem to remember that it also qualified me to drive anything up to 7.5 ton and a traction engine as well! Hell a 7.5 tonne is no more than a big van nothing like an HGV so I'm not sure that should be taken seriously.

Yes - C1 = up to 7.5 tonnes; C1E = up to 12 tonnes with a trailer. I have both on my German licence (at least for a couple of years) and they were copied from my UK licence (from 1988). I think they stopped handing those out in the UK at some point, but there must be a few million Brits with the same entitelment. And that doesn't include an HGV as an HGV is Heavy.

Is this another Suffolk Gazette story?

27 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Several outlets. 

hgv.jpeg

"One 41-year-old German man, who received two copies of the letter at his London home on Friday morning, one addressed to him and another for his wife, told The Independent:“We were quite surprised,” he said. “I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank. My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity."

The powers that be did a search of the driving licence database which turned out to be somewhat too broad.

Minister for roads, buses and PLACES?😂
PS: I love the address of the Department for Transport: Horseferry Road!❤️❤️

3 hours ago, Dembo said:

Has to be for one thing there can't still be thousands of Germans in the UK, can there, what with things being so bad over there and everything wonderful here in Germany??:blink:

7 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Has to be for one thing there can't still be thousands of Germans in the UK, can there, what with things being so bad over there and everything wonderful here in Germany??:blink:

No, this isn't true. In fact there are millions of Germans in the UK and millions more are queueing at Calais. Where would the world be if indeed those impoverished, emotional, ungovernable Europeans have a better quality of life than the British? Imagine the Spanish and Italians living a longer and healthier life than the British. Shock! Horror! This can't be. 

There are HGVs, heavy, and LGVs (large, but not heavy?)

The minister for Plaices, does she have to do with fish?

Perhaps she could go on radio 4, Down Your Way, or as it was on RadioActive, Round Your Parts? 

I heard about the German licence thingy on the BBC news.

Perhaps they'll offer milk float drivers the job next?!

49 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

Perhaps they'll offer milk float drivers the job next?!

Can't be many milk floats drivers left these days everyone seems to get their milk at the super markets!

13 hours ago, snowingagain said:

“We were quite surprised,” he said. “I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank. My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity."

Hahaha :lol:

Nicely put. I imagine he had to think long and hard before making that decision :)

His wife, on the other hand, now that's a shame. That would've made a great fly-on-the-wall documentary :lol:

As I promised to myself nine years ago, I will never apply for a UK visa again.  But the future looks promising, I look forward to SPD getting in power and finally allowing easy dual citizenship by naturalisation or the UK applying for Single Market access and having to join somehow the Schengen area, whatever happens first I think I will be landing in London in the next 5 years.