BREXIT positives and negatives

1,475 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, French bean said:

Do they still teach Imperial in school?

No and they haven't done since at least the 1980's, possibly earlier.

I never once measured anything in inches or pounds in school.

The whole thing stinks of being a "dead cat" to distract from partygate.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

I am "Baujahr" 1965, and I was one of the first classes to learn metric.

It was kind of strange because in school we had kilos and gramms, whilst at home my Mother would bake with pounds and ounces!

Since the early 70s the metric system was the official one to be taught. Children are supposed to be taught the imperial concepts loosely; in the National Curriculum the first mention I could find were:

Year 5:
understand and use approximate equivalences between metric units and common
imperial units such as inches, pounds and pints
And then
Year 6:
convert between miles and kilometres

I looked in the secondary curriculum but could find no specific requirements. (Which does not necessarily mean that teachers do not use the system in developing real life problem solving.)

Edit:

At least they don't seem to want to revert to £sd ... yet. (Oh, I nearly forgot guineas and half-crowns) Bojo is going for the man-in-the -pub-give-us-back -our-pint-vote mentality. Tho' apparently the disastrous Cameron was all in favour of it too.

Actually I like many of the measurements, they are often very relatable to humans. I cook mainly in lbs and oz still!

But have no desire to inflict hundreds of hours learning their detailed manipulation on future generations. Remember overflowing bathtubs? How long will it take a tub with the dimentions of 6-and -a-half by 2 by 2 feet to fill up with water from a tap flowing at one and seven-eighths of a pint per second? Or maybe do it in gills or noggins ....

We may not be able to speak more than two languages, but many of us have the advantage of familiarity with metric AND imperial units. I think many younger people in the UK know both systems too. A researcher asked children their heights and weights, not to know how big and heavy they were, but to see what units they cited, many answered in feet/inches and stones/pounds.

The Guardian reports that BoJo could lose his seat at the next election😕

I wonder what the Torygraph thinks of that.

12 hours ago, Feierabend said:

-pub-give-us-back -our-pint-vote mentality. 

I fail to understand this maybe I missed out on it living in Germany but as far as I know beer was and still is served in pints and distance measured in miles in the UK and I never heard anyone complaining that it wasn't on my visits. The pint never went away, well not since 1824 when they changed it from 16 fl ozs (a pound of water) to 20 fl ozs!:)

38 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I fail to understand this maybe I missed out on it living in Germany but as far as I know beer was and still is served in pints and distance measured in miles in the UK and I never heard anyone complaining that it wasn't on my visits. The pint never went away, well not since 1824 when they changed it from 16 fl ozs (a pound of water) to 20 fl ozs!:)

Sane people know this, Keith, but the more gormless Brexiteers ...

Well a pint in the UK is allowed to include the head so with a crown marked glass, are you actually getting a true pint or 3/4's with a lot of throth? At least with a line on the glass you'll know if your being short changed. But hey, they're plenty of retards out there that BoJo appeals to.

3 hours ago, French bean said:

Well a pint in the UK is allowed to include the head so with a crown marked glass, are you actually getting a true pint or 3/4's with a lot of throth? At least with a line on the glass you'll know if your being short changed

Wrong! Only Guinness is allowed a head as it is considered part of the drink, all other drinks sold in pints must be filled with liquid up to the rim of a pint glass or to the line on those glasses up north! At least those were the "Weights & Measures" regulations when I served behind a pub bar in the UK, admittedly a long time ago.

20 hours ago, French bean said:

It never really went away because kids parents and grandparents and market stall holders used it with their kids, so the kids are familiar with both systems even if it is not taught in school. I am one of those kids (reasonably) fluent in both systems.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Wrong! Only Guinness is allowed a head as it is considered part of the drink, all other drinks sold in pints must be filled with liquid up to the rim of a pint glass or to the line on those glasses up north! At least those were the "Weights & Measures" regulations when I served behind a pub bar in the UK, admittedly a long time ago.

https://advancedmixology.com/blogs/art-of-mixology/what-does-markings-on-a-pint-glass-mean

41 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

I fell at the final furlong!

Interesting measurement the furlong, 5 furlongs are almost exactly 2 Kilometre.

2 hours ago, Feierabend said:

Do you know your gallons from your pecks? Little quiz in the Guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/30/how-many-pounds-in-a-stone-try-our-weights-and-measures-quiz

I fell at the final furlong!

Yikes. I got 13 right, though the cubic deciliter ought to have been obvious. It's possible I know more of it because we use this garbage daily in the US, and I worked with liquids for several years. Plus, before that, I grew up in a country where logical measurements prevailed. And, I paid attention in science class.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Interesting measurement the furlong, 5 furlongs are almost exactly 2 Kilometre.

Opps actually it is only 1 Kilometre typo though no one corrected me!:)

52 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Opps actually it is only 1 Kilometre typo though no one corrected me!:)

I'm not surprised.

When I see headlines about the UK to return to imperial measurements, I think it must be some sort of regurgitated April fool's joke, but no it seems to be real, part of that Brexit "red meat" that Jacob Rees-Mogg wants to throw to voters. 

And all you have to do is watch one of these GBNews events where they get Nigel Farage in front of a live audience in a Brexit-voting town, and you do get these members of the public who call for imperial measurements to replace "EU ones" and who demand a bonfire of laws, and regulations purely on the basis that they are "EU rules" and that "we voted to get rid of them all". We saw this mentality during the 2016 referendum as well, where people in the old red wall said they would happily get rid of workers rights related to EU law and have fewer employment protections because "we don't need Mr. Juncker telling us how we should work".

Yes though I must admit I don't see any problem about using imperial measures, as earlier said the pint glass never went away,  so if you want a packet of food sold by the pound as long as it states 454 grams on it what is the issue, my 97 year old mother will be delighted, assuming she can see what it says and can get the contents out.

Do they actually need to introduce legislation to do that?

Can't say I see any benefit in doing it or taking it further particularly for the more recent generations who haven't needed  to use their mathematical skills to divide and multiply by 16, 14, 12 and 112 on a daily basis!

7 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Do they actually need to introduce legislation to do that?

They need to get rid of the legislation that says kgs must be stated on the outside of the can etc, that was put in as a fuction of being inside the EU.

Indeed Germany still has the Zoll in many areas, for example TV's are sometimes referred to as 40 inch or Zoll, as well as car/motor bike tyres.

I would prefer to keep the metric system, just because I find it easier to use, but maybe as a half way house they should have laws to say the weight (etc ) has to be stated in metric and imperial systems, to try and keep the both sides happy, but I am sure it will just piss off both sides instead.

18 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I would prefer to keep the metric system, just because I find it easier to use, but maybe as a half way house they should have laws to say the weight (etc ) has to be stated in metric and imperial systems, to try and keep the both sides happy, but I am sure it will just piss off both sides instead.

People who get pissed off by what is printed on labels are probably always pissed off at something. Makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, yesterday said:

They need to get rid of the legislation that says kgs must be stated on the outside of the can etc, that was put in as a fuction of being inside the EU.

I'm sure everything I used to buy in the UK had both imperial and metric weights anyway. If they get rid of the requirement to state Kgs probably no manufacturer will bother removing it, unless they're trying to prove some kind of point to sell to nutcases.